WT about Greed and Money?

by Think 22 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I gave them tens of thousands of dollars,so did my father and grandfather,we were told (lied to) that we never need it for our old age care. CO's and DO's live well materially, The deadbeat Watchtower corporation pays no municipal taxes on their buildings, without even one charity to compensate the community.They have $ billion's in worldwide real estate assets [ Think! When was the last time you saw a Jehovah's Witness charity,soup kitchen,mission for the poor? ] Do a google search of "Jehovah's Witnesses charity and see for yourself: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Jehovah%27s+Witnesses+charity&btnG=Google+Search they are a scam google don't lie The Watchtower is BIG money, being one of the top 40 New York City Corporations making nearly one billion dollars a year. That's just from one of their many corporations. Do a google keyword search of "Catholic charity for comparison this issue is a big deal,in my town of Bangor Maine a significant contribution is made to the tax base by local churches who feed the poor 3 square meals a day.The local kingdom hall don't do squat.-Danny Haszard

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Watch any "Christian TV" broadcast to see the other side of the coin.

Most of them are just like the WTBT$.

Wolves in sheep's clothing.

• Mary
    Mary
    billyboy said: JWs are set-up to preach about the bible - that is their charitable objective , to witness about Jehovah. They are a religious charity. Does the butcher sell bread? Does a financial adviser give diet advice?

Sorry, but your argument doesn't wash. As a (supposedly) christian religion, they are under obligation to perform charity works. Knocking on people's doors Saturday morning is NOT charity work. First of all, there is no evidence whatsoever in the bible that Jesus or his disciples ever preached door to door. They preached in the synogogues, in the market square and out in public areas. Second of all, first century Christians did charitable work such as looking after the widow, the orphan and the poor. They did this in addition to their preaching. So don't try to come on this board with your ridiculous ideas that preaching and charity work are the same thing, because they're NOT.

• billyboy
    billyboy

"So don't try to come on this board with your ridiculous ideas that preaching and charity work are the same thing, because they're NOT. "

Huh? One of your fellow posters was commending the Gideons for their charitable work in placing bibles in hotels. How much other charitable work do they do? And why should we expect that they should?

As you know , the apostles' primary work was preaching , rather than feeding the widows. Would you condemn Jesus for focusing primarily on preaching? - he had what many today would regard as a dismissive attitude toward charitable works.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

At the Local Needs talk the brother reading the accounts report said this:

-$500 was the resoulution made in order to remove a tree (yes, a tree) that was supposly causing a safety hazard outside near the aprking lot.

-The Hall has been backed up in its mortgage payments the past couple months and he even went so far as to suggest that each of us could possibly "take a cut out of our paychecks periodically" to help with with this."

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness
    CO's and DO's live well materially,

Really? How so?

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Worth billions? I assume you mean in real estate - these buildings are used to house printeries and for accommodation purposes. Don't confuse capital assets with income.

Then they should be able to handle the budget defecit. That's really the whole point of the Local Needs talk every week aint it? To remind us to clean out our pockets and help with the mortgage of the hall???! I don't live there! Why am I halping to pay your bills!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

In my home town of Bangor Maine EVERY church EXCEPT Jehovah's Witnesses have abundant charities.

My mate belongs to the UU church and 45% of her membership fee goes to programs for the poor.

The local Salvation army has a gourmet soup kitchen that feeds many.These aren't 'rice christians' these are people who are destitute some helpless from severe mental illness.

If i beamed down from outer space butt naked and asked for help every church in my town would be there in a heartbeat to help me.

If i knocked on the Bangor Kingdom hall and did the same they would call the 911 emergency services,the police would then direct me to these church charities.The point is,the watchtower uses resources,pays no taxes same as the other churches but gives nothing back to the community.They hoard billions in a vast real estate empire.

James 1:27 " Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress " (note:James didn't say anything about going door to door with the magazines,and directing followers to trust in an "invisible" government put up in 1914)

• joelbear
    joelbear

its clearly about money. the whole feel of bethel was centered around productivity and cost cutting. its a huge bureaucracy.

why would you need to print watchtowers over and over again that say the same thing and charge for them over and over again.

same with the books.

• Mary
    Mary
    billyboy said: As you know , the apostles' primary work was preaching , rather than feeding the widows.

Uh, no, I don't "know" any such thing. That's simply a line that the WTS feeds the R&F so that they can convince them that charity works are not necessary. Please show me some evidence that Jesus and his apostles viewed their preaching work as more important than feeding widows and orphans.

Would you condemn Jesus for focusing primarily on preaching? - he had what many today would regard as a dismissive attitude toward charitable works.

Oh brother......what planet are you from? Jesus spent just as much time healing people, feeding people and comforting people as what he did preaching to them. He did NOT have a "dismissive attitude" towards charitable works----this is yet another bonehead of a statement made up by the WTS without any evidence whatsoever to back it up. Please show me a scripture that indicates Jesus had a "dismissive attitude" towards widows and orphans, or anyone else in need. There is no other christian religion that would ever make the stupid statement you just made. So keep it up billboy, so that everyone who visits this website can see the true mentality of a Witnesses' view towards charitable works.

And just so that you're not disillusioned with the brainiac idea that Jesus didn't care about charity, here's a few scriptures you may want to keep in mind:

Matthew 19:21 "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.".

Matthew 25:35-40 "...Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Luke 14:13-14 "But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." (geeze, this scripture doesn't say you have to go door to door in order to get salvation!)

"And Zaccheus stopped and said to the Lord, 'Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much.' And Jesus said to him, 'Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.'"

The most significant of all scriptures to show how Jesus felt about charitable works is the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:30-37.

The book of Acts records that the Jerusalem Church had established a common fund for the support of widows (Acts 6:1-6). Though exact numbers are (obviously) not available, that it took the appointment of seven men to administrate indicates that it was substantial. There is also the example of Paul and the generosity on his mostly Gentile churches towards the poor in Jerusalem. Paul took up a collection from all of his churches to help support the Jerusalem Church when it fell upon hard times, often closing out his letters with instructions regarding the collection. (1 Cor. 16:1; Romans 15:25; Gal. 2:10).

James 1:27 says "The religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress. (What's this?! Yet another scripture that doesn't say anything about banging on doors as a sign that they have the "pure religion")

James 2:15-16 "If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,' and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?"

Riiight------ya, it really sounds like Jesus and his followers had a 'dismissive attitude' towards charity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit