Apostate music

by Bumble Bee 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

As a JW kid, I was always hearing about not listening to certain music.

One reason my mother called me apostate is because she saw some CD's I had - she called it Gospel. Some of them were decidedly what is termed "Chrisitan" music in the store, some are crossover artists (Chrisitian but played on mainstream/top 40 radio) and there is alot of country music that is spiritual for lack of a better word.

I was always under the impression that "unapproved" music would be songs with lyrics that go against biblical principals - sex, drugs, etc, not music that promotes good things in life, or glorifiying God and Jesus. Does not the bible say to worship with music?

Is this something that if she went to the elders about my now being an "apostate" that could cause problems?

BB

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

All music (including Gospel) outside of the kingdom melodies is not pleasing to the fds and jehovah and therefore apostate

Josie

• FairMind
    FairMind

mrsjones5, I would disagree with you slightly. Gospel music (much of which I like) would be considered from false religion and therefore apostate, even if the lyrics did not contradict JW teaching. Other types of music like R&B and good ole Rock and Roll are simply worldly and depending on the lyrics perhaps demonic (demonic is a word that says it all...)

• jojochan
    jojochan

It's funny really now that if you were to recreate the kindom melodies and make it not so "mono" it is frowned upon and may be 'postate as well. I forgot which k.m that was from were "they" discouraged the kingdom melodie bootlegs! . I saw that here first by the way. And once more when I had the real k.m in my hand. I could'nt believe how stupid is was to make a big deal over it. Which come to think of it; it could be a copyright violation if I'm not mistaken golly....

jojochan.

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy
    All music (including Gospel) outside of the kingdom melodies is not pleasing to the fds and jehovah and therefore apostate

Which was always a real pity, because the music was so bad and the lyrics so banal (even by modern religious music standards). Thank goodness they never found out about my secret AC/DC and Black Sabbath collections. They could barely tolerate the Beatles, which my uncle said was nothing more than drug music, and not for true Christians to listen to. Oddly enough, I never knew many JWs who frowned on Classical, though many compositions are of a profoundly religious nature.

• VM44
    VM44

Removed to prevent annoying autoplaying of "Battle Hymn of the Republic"! --VM44

• Genesis
    Genesis

"Stairway to Heaven" folks ! It rocks (maybe that was this song that transformed me in Satan the rebel apostate lol :P ! Gen

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    Stairway to Heaven" folks ! It rocks (maybe that was this song that transformed me in Satan the rebel apostate lol :P ! Gen

This was a big one years ago. But you had to play it backwards.

• jonsey
    jonsey

Me being a Mobile DJ for the last 15 years...I must be catching up on all that I could not listen to...

Mike

• Third Eye Open
    Third Eye Open

yea when I go out and service I have to not bring my cd case otherwise if people are in my car they start looking through it and asking stupid questions like "why do you listen to these guys they are highly immoral”. Uh give me break On the way to the meeting it’s all about Nine Inch Nails: Terrible Lie And on the way home Tool: Opiate. “Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow”!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit