College Anyone?

by NYCkid 25 Replies latest jw friends

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Just wondering who is going to college now and/or who attended college after leaving the JWs. What is/was your major and how do/did you find the experience? Do you find it difficult to choose a major? Are you going full time or part time? Are you a traditional student or an adult student? What are your favorite things about college? What do you dislike? Do you find it easy or difficult to acclimate to intellectual and campus life? Are you in debt because our parents didn't plan for us to attend college and we have to pay for it ourselves with the help of scholarships and loans?

I was a bad student in high school (why focus on school when it's not that important??) and of course I regular pioneered after high school graduation instead of going to college. Finally, at 34 years of age I graduated a community college last year with honors and as one of the valedictorians if I may brag and am now attending a four-year college. I'm currently (and have been) going part-time while working full-time but plan on leaving my nice cushy job and attend college full-time in the Fall so I can totally make up for a college experience I should have had at age 18. It's scary to leave a full-time job with benefits but I plan on immersing myself into the college life and hopefully study abroad for a semester...what fun..

Also if anyone is on Facebook, we should be "college friends."

Regards,
    NYCkid

• joelbear
    joelbear

i graduated with my AA at 24

and graduated with my BA at 44

whew!

• juni
    juni

Good for you NYCKid!!!!!! Wish you the best. What major are you trying to get? Juni~~~~~~~~~~

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I started college/design school when I was 18 and quickly dropped out after my engagement to a jw guy ended because of his involvement with another woman. Got married, then seperated after almost 2 years to a man who was not a jw. Looked around and decided that I didnt want to be a bank teller and went back to design school at 23. It was cool, I was more settled, more open to learn, more driven to have a skill and career I really liked. I got my AA degree in 1990 and maybe one day I'll go back and get a BA. It's never too late.

Josie

• juni
    juni

Good morning Josie,

You're right. It's never too late.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hi Juni! (((((((hugs)))))))

Josie

• damselfly
    damselfly

Oooo Yes please!

I graduated from high school with the bare minimum requirements ( no sciences or maths ) after teaching myself grades 9-11. I graduated from Massage therapy school 3 years ago, took a year of an Osteopathy program and am now getting my sciences and math ( which I love because I'm such a geek ) . Hopefully I will be going on to get Medical Lab Tech training as they are in short supply in my area. Whoo-Hoo!!! More science I'd love to study genetics and fertility after that.

SupergeekyDams

• Gerard
    Gerard

Get a student loan if necesary. But do it!

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

I in my second year of college right now. Picking a major is tough for a lot of people. I've had to switch majors. Fortunately I got a couple of good scholarships so I don't owe anything. I really liked high school so I'm enjoying my classes. I'm still at home with my jw parents so in many ways its not really any different.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Your avatar says today is your birthday. If so, then HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

YC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit