College Anyone?

by NYCkid 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bavman
    bavman

I'm starting college this Thursday. I can only handle 6 credits in the evening right now but hey, I figure if I could spend all that time going to meetings and studying for them why not use that same time and energy to go to college. I don't have a major yet but am in the Liberal Arts program. Hopefully, in 8-10 years I will have a B.A. and do something I really enjoy. Plus, I LOVE to learn!

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Thanks Juni,

Sometimes I need moral support or a pat on the back from others (okay so I'm a bit needy..LOL). My parents, bless their hearts, as 2nd generation Witnesses haven't a clue about college or how valuable an education can be. They have never said they are proud of my scholastic accomplishments and never inquire about what I'm studying, why I'm studying this or that and what I plan to do with my education. I know that they don't understand it really so I don't really blame them.

Anyway I'm undeclared right now but I'm looking at the Comparative Literature and Society major at my school (it's a fairly new major), which is a combination of English and Sociology. I'm also very interested in Political Science, Law and Marine Biology. My aspirations including being a writer, journalist and human rights and environmental activist. Anyway I don't have to declare until the end of this semester but I want to make the right decision.

Congratualions to all you who finished school or who are attending now...good for you!!!! Any advice on deciding what to do with ones life??? lol

Regards,

NYCkid

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Hey NYC kid! Link your facebook page!

Get a student loan if necesary. But do it!

I agree!

• bavman
    bavman

NYCKID, you sound like me. So many interests I can't decide what I want to do for sure. The things you are interested in are similar to me as well. I really like the idea of marine bilogy and am also taking up SCUBA diving this summer. I'm sure you and I will figure it out. I figure I just need to get into it and get my feet wet. Good luck to you!

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

I just started my fourth year of university as a History major, which wasn't difficult at all for me to choose since I've always enjoyed reading history. I never got any scholarships (though I might receive one in the fall) but I've never had to take a loan either: I've been working at least four days a week, and sometimes full-time, since I turned sixteen, so I've paid for everything myself. But that might have to stop now that I'm moved out of my parents' house and devoting so much of my income to rent and bills.

I love university. I love the intellectual stimulation and the creative challenge of a liberal arts education. I love learning about all kinds of different things in addition to history - I've taken classes in logic, political science, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, religious studies, English, film, and geology, all of which encouraged me to think in new and exciting ways. And I love the social aspect of it too - hanging out with other young people who also like learning and discovery is awesome.

I'm really thankful that my parents (who got their degrees before they started studying with the JWs) placed a high value on education and always let me know that they expected me to attend university, whatever the WT literature said about the evils of higher education. The thought of slaving away at some miserable cleaning job for pennies to support myself at pioneering is total anathema. With any luck I'll do well enough at my Honours thesis to get into a good grad studies program and get started on a career path doing what I really love.

• juni
    juni

Hi NYCkid!

Happy 35th Birthday!!!!

You have a plan; that's good. Sounds very interesting. Also w/your parents, because college is such a big no-no is probably another reason that they shy away from talking about it. They don't want to seem to support your college decision, you know?

Good luck w/your classes.

Juni~~~~~~~~

• juni
    juni

Heh bavman!

Long time no talk. Congratulations to you too for advancing yourself. Marine biology? Scuba diving? Sounds good. My son and his girlfriend just finished getting certified for open water dives. They just got back from Jamaica. Had a great time diving and eating fresh seafood.

They both work for Kraft in Chi-town.

Juni~~~~~~~~~~

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

I've got to say......I'm 46 and I am taking classes at a community college. I don't even have my associates yet although I got many credits from previous classes. I have been trained and held jobs in Machine Shop, Heating & Air Conditioning and Finance. Currently I work in the Financial field for a large Company that does processing and record keeping for many Mutual Fund companies. I am really turned off by the finance business, too many unethical practices. Right now I'm taking Liberal Arts studies. I'll see how it goes and then take it from there. A little advice....Do what you love. Money isn't everything. ( although it helps )

• bavman
    bavman

Hi Juni...that's very cool about your son and girlfriend! Nice hearing from you!

• PoliticallyNeutered2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit