This Article from the Sep KM is very interesting

by chester 28 Replies latest jw friends

• kilroy
    kilroy

Dear Cygnus

Please tell me you are not serious. If you are not, please disregard the rest of this post. If you are serious, you hit me at the exact wrong time, my friend.

I have just finished reading the front section of the Sunday paper. It is filled with stories of the elderly receiving the poorest of the poorest of care. Why? Their money ran out! One lady wandering away from the care facility in her nighty and diaper for the second time froze to death.

This is what a lot of us have to look forward to because we have no savings or investments. I posted about this on the 1975 thread a couple of days ago. These people were not even JWs. How much more are JWs at risk?

Sustenance and covering? yada yada yada May I ask how old you are? May I ask if you have a family? You bet your ass the WTS is responsible for a lot of us not having anything to fall back on! Bible Schmible! You will be in a dimentia condition wearing diapers if you have the audacity to live long enough! Tomorrow, my friend, tomorrow. That's how fast time flies.

Love, Kilroy

• Faraon
    Faraon

Cygnus,

Seems to me that this article has much scriptural support. Perhaps you people have a larger problem with the Bible's counsel than with the Watchtower itself

Do you have a daughter?
    I would like to buy her. I have scriptural support for this. Of course she is only worth half as much as any of your sons. I have scriptural support for this too.

JRP

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Cyg,

I don't have a problem with the biblical passages quoted - they can be applied in a varity of ways, being that they are spiritual guidelines and not necessarily about if we have a new couch or not, medical insurance, or a retirement fund started before we left the org.

I do have a problem with the way the WTBTS interpreted those biblical passages which were referring to spiritual matters. They interpreted them to mostly physical matters, primarily spending more time in field service "placing" Watchtowers and Awakes!.

These are two separate issues which have been confused by the WTBTS, as usual.

waiting

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

It is extremely easy to say that people should cut back on secular work when the person writing the article has his laundry washed for him, his room cleaned, his food prepared for him, and his rent paid for him. Interesting, that those who do not have family responsibilites are always the ones that are experts.

And what is the deal with the huge luxury cars that the cos and dos drive? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy cheaper, more economical cars for travelling? You can get pleny of comfort in a used but well maintained Corolla or Cavalier for these guys.

I have an interesting question....were the 12 apostles married when Jesus called them? I honestly do not know, but I believe they were not. I do not recall Jesus calling fathers and mothers to stop working in order to be more active in preaching.

These annoys me because it is also so biased against the husband/father in the family. I have actually known men that have been chastised because he wanted to stay home with the kids for a while or only work part time while the wife worked. This should be a decision made by the husband and wife...not the elders. I know one guy that cannot work because he is disabled, but wanted to be an aulliuary pioneer for one month a few years ago. They kept telling him no, because they said that if he could aulliaury pioneer (I believe it was 60 hours for one month at the time) then why could he not get a job? Once he explained that he got money every month because he was disabled they left him alone because he was providing support to his family. 60 hours a month of field service is NOT equivalent to 60 hours per month real work. Think of all the time sitting in the car while you are waiting for the rest of your car party to get back from a door.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Sorry..but I have to rant about this again!

Of course building up a retirement has never been very important to the Governing Body since THEY have not had to worry about whether they will be cared for in their old age!

But what about the brother that HAS to work two jobs because his father and mother did not have the foresight to build up a suitable retirement and now are too old to work to support themselves?

Maybe this is a scheme: you have to support your parents so there is NO WAY you can send your kids to college!

ACK!!! It makes me mad.

• patio34
    patio34

With reference to Cygns's statement, I think Waiting summed it up nicely: it's spiritual advice and the article is applying it physically.

Besides, every scripture is not necessarily supporting what the KM is saying. For instance, 'having sustenance and covering, being content with these things.' What does that really mean? Is it a command? Does it mean that if one has more than clothing and food (car, house, VCR, TV, etc.), that it's wrong? Can you take that statement literally? Not that I'm going to take the time to examine every scripture and how it may apply.

Not to nitpick, but the WTS is so used to stringing a bunch of verses after every statement, that nothing is questioned. It's assumed that it's 'scriptural support.'

Not any more for me and certainly not too much on this Board!

The other part of Cygnus's statement is that some have problems with the Bible itself. You better believe that too! The example given by Faaron sums up some of the problems with the Bible.

"The Bible is a fiddle you can play any tune on."
    Pat

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Hmmm, the whole concept is interesting. I had friends who told me the hierarchy of all things important:
    1. God
    2. Family
    3. Career
    4. Church

I have always agreed with this hierarchy, but note the big distinction between God and church. Unfortunately, anyone with any power within a religious organisation, beit elder, minister, priest or pastor, rarely see that there is a difference between 1,3 and 4 (and 2 usually goes into the mix, as well). So, when people who have real lives outside of church/KH try to convey that to those whose lives and careers revolve around the church/KH, they don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about. Sad, really!

• TR
    TR

IslandWoman,

Very nice houses, white furniture, good clothes, seem to be the norm, maybe they should give us an idea how these little fictional families in their magazines are paying for all this.

This is something I've noticed time and again in the WT rags. JW's walking around in meeting clothes, sans the jacket and tie, with very nicely appointed furnishings in the house. What the hell? Oh, maybe they were previously well-to-do before becoming JW's. You got to bust a hump just to pay rent on a 2 bedroom apartment these days. I just bought a second house and am renting out one of them. The rent that the tenants pay is 4 times as much as I paid when I got married 17 years ago. Have wages gone up accordingly? I think not! What the frick do those old bastards in Brooklyn think their talking about? Obviously, they don't know.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Jim Lad
    Jim Lad

Cygnus:

You should look up the Biblical Support the WT gives for condemning your facial hair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit