This Article from the Sep KM is very interesting

by chester 28 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS knows this isn't the real reason for the drop off in meeting attendance and field service...but they aren't taking the rap for it...it's a means to provide an answer that takes the attention away from them and puts the focus on the publisher.

If the food tastes bad at a restaurant and the service is lousy, would you think to blame the patron?

Abuser: It's your fault I hit you...you made me so angry because you didn't come fast enough when I called you.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Hence, we do well to examine our actual situation.

Is anyone else here sick of the Org-issued stock phrase, We do well to ...??

Does anyone know it to be a colloquial expression? Has it ever been used outside of the Orwellian vernacular of Dubland?

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY "WE DO WELL TO ..."!!!

Anyway, in the case of this article, we do well to take it for the utter bullshit that we know it to be.

Dedalus

• chester
    chester

The part I thought was particularly interesting is
    The primary purpose of secular work is to provide for one's material needs. But how much do we need?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

: ...And who is going to look after these people when they retire when they haven't contributed to any pension plans or they don't have any savings or investments?

Don't you know their families will have to carry the burden. And if they don't have family there are government programs. But don't assume the congregation would do it. No no. They have to take care of the "preaching work."

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

So who will be giving this talk at your hall? Oh we all know this scenario. Brother A is a very faithful witness who always puts in more than the congregation's average of hours, maybe even pioneers. Lives in a very modest simple home, many times a rental, and more often than not a trailer. He's a blue collar worker and makes the bare minimum to support himself and his family.
    But Brother A won't be giving the talk, nor will his example be mentioned.
    Brother B lives on the other side of town from Brother A. You know, the "nice" part of town. Brother B owns-not rents-a very nice house and publishers always enjoy luxurious rides in field service in his Lincoln. Having completed college and worked long and hard to achieve his position, he now enjoys the fruits of his labor.
    Brother B will give the talk of course! Who better to tell us to get by with next to nothing than him?
    mike.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Bendrr,

Shout it Loud and Clear! Ain't that Always the Way!

Thanks!

• Preston
    Preston

I know that a lot of people in my congregation said that they felt happy preaching from house to house, doing business territory, and even incidental witnessing. I even enjoyed it for the period of time I spent in the organization. It's just unfortunate that the article gives two impressions, both of which are heavily biased: 1.) that the present state of the economy should not be a factor that prevents a person from having a "full share" in the field ministry and 2.) that a person's value is directly related to how much time he puts into it. There is not one single scripture in the Bible that says that all people are required to preach (Eph 4:11). From what a lot of people have told me, it's not something that comes natural to to them. The vast majority of hard-working Jehovah's Witnesses in the congregation have tough working schedules, more so than the Governing Body can fathom. It's articles like these that help me become more cognizant of the fact that the organization is a closed society that gets more closed minded on the way up.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

More preaching = more magazine sales = more new JWs = more magazine sales = bigger profit margin. Who could possibly begrudge this multi-billion-dollar corporation its fair share of slave labor?

• teejay
    teejay

Chester,

"... a family head may be inclined to spend an excessive amount of time on the job..."define "excessive"

"... with a view to building up his financial reserves for unforeseen crises." oh, you mean like medical bills, help for family members who might find themselves in a bind... retirement?

"While increased secular work may seem to provide extra material things or additional opportunities for recreation and entertainment, will this make the family happier and more contented if it is done at the expense of time for spiritual pursuits and regular meeting attendance?" YES!!!

"This certainly is no time to be distracted by undue anxiety over making a living or by a desire to get comfortably situated in a system of things that will soon pass away." define UNDO anxiety... and is it really terrible to be comfortable? Aren't gb members comfortable?

"Having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things." Are we trying to acquire more than that? If so, we may be reaping the consequences that Paul warned about: "Those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires, which plunge men Into destruction and ruin." having 'just enough' is the goal. Wanting just a little more is always given a bad connotation. I always thought that was stupid reasoning.

Bendrr asked a good question: who'll be giving the talk in the local hall? I wonder who WROTE it. Does the man have a clue to what it's like in the real world of jobs, mortgage payments, school supplies for the kids, car repairs, retirement? If so, how can he write such an article?

tj

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Seems to me that this article has much scriptural support. Perhaps you people have a larger problem with the Bible's counsel than with the Watchtower itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit