This Article from the Sep KM is very interesting

by chester 28 Replies latest jw friends

• chester
    chester

I thought this article from the September 2001 Kingdom Ministry was very interesting.

Get out there and sell those books!!!

Is It an Obstacle to Preaching?

Most people lead busy lives. Jehovah's Witnesses are among the busiest-studying God's Word, attending congregation meetings, and sharing in the field service. In addition, we are busy caring for secular work, ousework or school work, and many other responsibilities, which all take time. This is especially challenging for family heads.2Because of unfavorable economic conditions in various places, heads of households may have to work long and hard to make a living. When demanding secular jobs take most of their time and strength, they have little left for the preaching work. Since they have an obligation to provide materially for their families, some may feel that they can have only a limited share in the ministry. (I Tim. 5:8) Granted, today there are many pressures connected with obtaining the necessities of life. But one's secular work need not become an obstaclelo preaching the good news. (Mark 13:10) Hence, we do well to examine our actual situation. Because the world scene is always changing, a family head may be inclined to spend an excessive amount of time on the job, with a view to building up his financial reserves for unforeseen crises. (I Cor. 7:31) While increased secular work may seem to provide extra material things or additional opportunities for recreation and entertainment, will this make the family happier and more contented if it is done at the expense of time for spiritual pursuits and regular meeting attendance? We would certainly want to avoid anything that would endanger our spirituality. Heeding Jesus' counsel to 'store up treasures in heaven and be "rich toward God" is the wise course.-Matt. 6:19-21; Luke 12:15-21.
    * Seek Kingdom Interests First; Jesus taught his followers to put spiritual matters ahead of everything else. He urged them: "Never be anxious and say, 'What are we to eat?' or, 'What are we to drink?' or, 'What are we to put on?"' Why would he say that? He plained: "For your heavenly Father knows you need all these things." If we are truly convinced of that, there will be no obstacle that will prevent us from doing what Jesus next said: "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [necessary material] things will be added to you." God will see to that! (Matt. 6:31-33) This certainly is no time to be distracted by undue anxiety over mak-
    ing a living or by a desire to get comfortably situated in a system of things that will soon pass away.-1 Pet. 5:7; I John 2: 15-17.
    The primary purpose of secular work is to provide for one's material needs. But how much do we need? The apostle Paul wrote: "Having suste-
    nance and covering, we shall be content with these things."
    Are we trying to acquire more than that? If so, we may be reaping the consequences that Paul warned about: "Those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires, which plunge men Into destruction and ruin." (I Tim. 6:8, 9; Matt. 6:24; Luke 14:33) How can we tell if we are being hindered by excessive desires? if because of our secular pursuits we have only a minimal share in field service or fail to see the need to make sacrifices for the sake of the good news, then there is a need to adjust our priorities. (Heb. 13:15, 16) A more modest life style will go a long way toward eliminating this obstacle to our preaching. Kingdom interests should always be the first priority when it comes to the use of our time and energy.
    7 The Labor That is Not in Vain: Paul's words encourage us always to have "plenty to do in the work of the Lord, knowing that [our] labor is not in vain in connection with the Lord." (I Cor. 15:58) The
    foremost "work of the Lord" is the Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making work. (Matt.24:14; 28:19, 20) To have as full a share as possible, we should schedule time for the field service each week and endeavor not to use that time for any other pursuit. (Eph. 5:15-
    17) Then, neither secular work nor anything else will become an obstacle to our ministry. " When we give of ourselves in sharing Bible truths with others, we experience the superior happiness that comes from giving. (Acts 20:35) By pursuing the Kingdom preaching work, we can look to the future with confidence, "for God is not unrighteous so as to forget [our] work and the love [we] showed for his name."
    -Heb. 6:10

• Kent
    Kent

I would be interested in having good scans of KMs.

Anyon able to help me, please send the scans to [email protected]

OCR is even better - together with scans :))

It's quite often interesting stuff in KMs we can use.

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between a fool and the JW legal department is that a fool might be sympathetic ."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Maximus
    Maximus

: A more modest life style will go a long way toward eliminating this obstacle to our preaching.

Translation: We prefer you to be a migrant farm worker, but they have to spend too many hours working.

Are you struggling to make a living because you did not get an education, thinking the end was right around the corner? Well, cut back your work even further to preach even more urgently.

Building up reserves? Will anyone handle this part with a straight face?

Insanity, insanity, insanity.

Maximus

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

This is a great article. I think the more they push their people the more visible the glass house of the Watchtower becomes.

Ironically, at least in the US, the pictures of JW families portrayed in the Watchtower and Awake are rarely of those in humble circumstances. Very nice houses, white furniture, good clothes, seem to be the norm, maybe they should give us an idea how these little fictional families in their magazines are paying for all this.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The Watchtower pushes the preaching work because literature sales are their cash cow. Instead of some slick born-againer preacher begging for money for God, the Watchtower just emphasizes the preaching work over and over ....

In the end, it's all about money and power. So they keep applying the ol' lash.

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

"If it's worth feeling bad about, it's worthy of amnesia."
    Richard Bandler, radical NLP therapist

• larc
    larc

Ah Yes,

Another guilt trip laid on everyone by the Society. If you are comfortable you better scale down and do more for the organization. If you are barely making it you better figure ways to trim back even more so you too can do more for the organization. You say you have a little nest egg built up for your retirement? Hey, spend it now and stop working those over time hours on your job.

I wonder if this is a recycled article pulled off a CD. This theme has a time less quality to it.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

What a bunch of assholes. Alot of people have to work long hours just to pay the bills because of their policies on higher education.

If they encouraged education, people could make ends meet working less hours. And who is going to look after these people when they retire when they haven't contributed to any pension plans or they don't have any savings or investments?

Talk about making people feel guilty for putting food on their tables and planning for their retirement in case another JW prophecy turns out to be a dud.

I'd like to see them kicked out their Brooklyn asses and see just how many meetings they are able to attend if someone wasn't paying their way.

Path

• Lindy
    Lindy

Yes larc,
    I was thinking how this message was the same old stuff I had heard countess times over the good many years I wasted in the Borg. Yada, yada, yada. As soon as the economy takes a down turn and to many JW's try to work extra hours to help out the family in any way, for any reason, service suffers and this same ole' theme reappears somewhere.Or if the "brothers" start to spend to much in general on entertainment or other things, the same old word goes out...get back to business. The reality of the message is that your magazine "contributions" and the Hall "contributions" are down, so get back on the horse "brothers" and giddy-up!

Lindy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I'd like to see them kicked out their Brooklyn asses and see just how many meetings they are able to attend if someone wasn't paying their way.

Well said, Path.

• VM44
    VM44

same old stuff from years and years ago.

I bet the writer only had to look up the old articles kept
    on file, and change the order of the words here and there.
    Probably didn't even look up the scriptures quoted in his article.

Many people now have to work long hours just for
    "sustenance and covering." And many also can't take time off
    for vacations. (Something the WT thinks everyone can do in
    order to attend the conventions!)

I wonder if the writer of this article has had to worry about
    providing "sustenance and covering" for himself? Most likely
    he has been at Brooklyn for so many years, he has forgotten
    what it is like to work at a real job.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest