the term 'removed my privileges'...

by jaffacake 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

...what exactly does it mean?

and what other measures can be taken against a JW who does something the elders dissapprove of, short of disfellowshipping?

(this may sound like a dumb question but I was never a JW)

• rebel8
    rebel8

It usually means prohibiting a person from doing certain things in the congregation, such as commenting at meetings. For a man that could mean he {gasp} cannot be a moneychanger at the literature counter or pass the microphones. If you're really bad you can't go in field service, though from what I understand, it is rare for that "privilege" to be revoked. You might find more information in the elders handbook, try looking in units 4 and 5: http://dbhome.dk/carlo/ They can also do private reproof and public reproof, either of which may go along with removal of "privileges". Private means you are scolded by the Inquisition Officers in the back room. Public means your name is announced that you are on reproof. This is supposed to be done when you did something serious enough to warrant DFing but you repented and they believe you. They say "so and so is on pubic reproof" and then soon a talk is given about some type of wrongdoing. They do not directly tell the congregation what you did wrong but it is blatantly obvious because of the talk.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

you can loose being a ministerial servant or being an elder.

But there are more privelidges in the congregation. Like being responsible for handing out kingdom ministeries, making coffee, doing the magazines, handing out terretory maps, walking with the mc, being cheapman, doing the closing prayer, reading the watchtower.
    The prevelidges can all be removed.

Then if you are really bad, did something for example but repend, they can do the following:

- forbid you to give talks in the theocratic school

- forbid you to give answers

- forbid you to to field service

This last one is almost never given as punishment. guess why...

DB

• FairMind
    FairMind

They can remove your privileges without you being brought before the elders on charges of wrong doing as well. In my old congregation, I read the WT, did the sound system, carried the microphones, opened and closed with prayer, etc… In the new congregation they have with held all of these privileges based on what was in the letter of recommendation received from the old congregation. They won’t tell me exactly what was in the letter but hinted that I was a borderline apostate.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    They can remove your privileges without you being brought before the elders on charges of wrong doing as well.

This is true. If your stats aren't up to par, you can expect to have your privileges removed. When I started apprenticeship school back in the 90's my stats took a plummet, sure enough I was called back into the back room and informed that I was a spiritual failure and would no longer be used in the congregation. Now that I think about it, that was probably my first inkling that something was wrong. I had always believed that works were not as important as faith, but that episode proved to me just how much value the elders placed on works.

• Gozz
    Gozz

This last one is almost never given as punishment.

The undisfellowshipped JW - no matter what they may have done - is supposedly better than any non-JW; of course, this includes suspected and confirmed child molesters. Nothing comes between the WTS and statistics/preaching hours; nothing; not even the fear of God and the protection of the public, including innocent children. Sigh.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's all about power and control this policy of name and shame, they don't really care about the spiritual well-being of the individual otherwise there would be a lot of brotherly love in their org. Their approach is totally pharisaic.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf
    Now that I don't want those so called privileges going to the meetings is so much better. Once you decided you don't care they have very little they can hold over you short of being DF and if you keep you mouth shut and parot what you know they want to hear it gives them very little to go on.

I have found myself taking zero interest in anyone at the meetings, I think I could be very good friends with some of them, but why bother, because they would all cut you off on a moment if the CO or Elders told them to do so, whether that be from the plat form or just in private marking you as a bad associate.

OC

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    If you're really bad you can't go in field service, though from what I understand, it is rare for that "privilege" to be revoked.

Yes, they will take away almost all priviledges except this one. I've been on private reproof once and I always found it strange that they would take away commenting at meetings but not field service. I mean I cannot comment using the bible sitting right next to my brothers and sisters, yet I can comment using the bible right next to my brothers and sisters at the door. Go figure!!!

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

This last one is almost never given as punishment. guess why...

I would have to guess because in the eyes of the men dictating what God approves of and expects of His servants, field service is nowhere near as important as these cited by DannyBloem:

... Like being responsible for handing out kingdom ministeries, making coffee, doing the magazines, handing out terretory maps, walking with the mc, being cheapman, doing the closing prayer, reading the watchtower.

So, then, would it be safe to assume (since these privileges are awarded by the Ones appointed by God to Shepherd and carry His word to the Flock) that God places field service, the preaching of his word and spreading of the good news of His kingdom, last on the list of important things for His servants to do?

Yeah. Indeed, go figure.

willow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit