Nathan Knorr and Bethel Life in the seventies

by Boxed elder bugs 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

When I was at Bethel in the 70's the President of the Watchtower Society Nathan Knorr was really unpopular among a lot of Bethelites because he supported the four year oblligation for Bethelites to stay at Bethel and stay single for four years. I had heard that over nintey percent of the people who left Bethel fell away from the JW religion afterwards, I was among that number, and I had heard that the majority of people who came to Bethel did not keep there four year commitment but left in less than a year, I know the majority of people I started with lasted about a year at Bethel, I was dumb enough to stay at Bethel three and one half years. I guess it was because I was raised in the Witnesses and didn't know what to do after I lost my faith in that religion while I was there.

I grew to hate Knorr and thought he was boring at all assemblies announcing things like how many tracts were place at homes that year etc., saying it like that was interesting information, a real dullard. I over heard Knorr answer somebody who told him that the Bethel Family missed him while he had been away responding "I wonder if the family really missed me." I know I didn't. There was a suicide while I was at Bethel and I heard one before I came. There was also stealing going on. That Bethel was a spiritual paradise was a myth.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Many here have very similar stories about Bethel

Welcome to the forum

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i have heard tell of a missionary couple who on reaching their assignment...proceeded to take the next plane home...you can imagine how pleased mr knorr was about that

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi boxed elder,

Welcome to the forum!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Welcome beb,

looking forward to your stories.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum, numerous bethelites have commented about the negative environment at the New York Bethel and how unspiritual and cold hearted the GB members were.

It's great when people that witnessed the goings on behind the scenes as it were, reveal what they saw.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Welcome, and thanks to confirming what we all have seen

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Welcome Boxed, I remember a good friend who was at Bethel in the 70's telling me plenty of stories like yours. Its amazing isn't it. I think all you ex-bethelites should get together and right a book.

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

Thanks everyone for your responses to my comment, I'll have more to say about Bethel and Knorr (or should I say Bore) in the future. Gotta go.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Boxed Elder, Welcome , it's great to have you here, I hope you can share some of those exciting bethel stories with all of us, waiting anxiously....

IC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit