Nathan Knorr and Bethel Life in the seventies

by Boxed elder bugs 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• belbab
    belbab

Boxed Elder,

Were you there when he died? As far as I know his cause of death was reported as dying of a brain tumor. Maybe he just had a mental breakdown and it was reported as a brain tumor.

I guess we'll never know.

belbab

• joelbear
    joelbear

i got to the farm right after Knorr died. i worked with his wife in the subscription department. she was very nice. i heard lots of stories about knorr from the guys.

the bureaucracy of bethel was very hard to resolve with the loving unity one had always been taught about back in the congos.

it was truly sad.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi Boxed Elder Bug. Welcome to the board. What's the story on your name? If you don't mind.

Cellist

• startingover
    startingover

Joelbear,

When you worked with Audrey, did she ever speak of her family in CA?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

welcome to the board Boxed elder bugs

• funlovingirl
    funlovingirl

JoelBear, Boxedelderbugs, and others,

I would really be interested in hearing your stories of Bethel life. I was always told the wonders of it growing up as a witness. I have only been out 2 years and I have 2 cousins out there.

I haven't been on the forum long enough to hear all the stories of what it's really like. Can you give us newbies some examples or stories?

Thanks and can't wait to get to know you!

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

My Dad was in Bethel in the early 60's under Knorr. He rarely spoke of this experience. I think he was there for about 2 years if I recall correctly. Looking back on it now, it was strange he rarely brought it up and never really encouraged my brothers and I to go, although he's still a devotee.

From what I hear it was not fun back then (not that it's any better now).

Best,

NYCkid

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

A couple of quick answers to your questions-Belbab as far as I know Knorr died of brain tumor which he was suffering from towards the end of my time at Bethel his speech was affected by it and he seemed very depressed no doubt suffering which I can sympathize with except he was suppose to believe he was going to heaven, he was also very upset about the new rotating elder arrangment, which is an article in itself sometime.

Cellist -no real deep meaning to my screen name just for laughs, in Minnesota we have Box elder bugs who clump together in trees and basically can crawl or swarm around you in an irritating fashion if your near them. The JW elders are boxed in by the witness rules clump together at times to DF some poor person who gets publically humiliated by it, and they definitely bug me if not the rest of you thus there Boxed elder bugs to me.

• Cellist
    Cellist

A very appropriate name then. Thanks for answering.

Cellist

• tweety
    tweety

Welcome Boxed Elder Bugs! Looking forward to reading more of your stories of Bethel life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit