OMG I just saw a BlueJay outside my window.

by Lady Lee 24 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here bluejays are thick as sparrows. If ya feed the bluejays peanuts in the shell and the Cardinals black sunflowers seeds ya won't be able to get rid of em. They stay here all winter.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We have blue jays here, too. If you want to see MORE of that Jay, buy yourself a suet ball and hang it out in one of your trees outside.

A homemade suet ball description from a birder's forum:

We buy cheap blocks of lard from ASDA and melt it in a pan and add sultanas, mixed seed, crushed peanut granules and any other bits and pieces the birds like - you need to absorb most of the fat so it forms a thick paste - sticks to the wooden spoon. We then spoon it into yogurt pots and marg tubs etc and set in the fridge. We feed it mainly in autumn and winter - if it is too hot as now it does go soft.
  • willowmoon
    willowmoon
    A homemade suet ball description from a birder's forum:

Also add fruit, like raisens, dried apricots, applies, also. It helps to take it out of the containers and hang it from a tree or hook in an open net bag (like onions are sold in).

willow

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well I'm on the fifth floor of an apartment building with no outside access to the open air so I won't be hanging any bird food.

• jgnat
    jgnat

HAH, I bet if a bag was hung in the tree out your window (ground level of course) , you'll see Jays often enough.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Blue Jays are beautiful! I used to love seeing them since it was few and far inbetween.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

That's the little fellow I saw.

jg can you see me climbing the tree outside to get it up to my level? Believe me years ago I would have done it

• wednesday
    wednesday
    Well I'm on the fifth floor of an apartment building with no outside access to the open air so I won't be hanging any bird food.

LL, you do not have a window you can open? sorry to hear that. Must be great to be up where you can see the tree tops though weds

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I can open the windows but they are all screened so the bugs can't fly in.

My view however is pretty great - a park right in front of me where the trees are. Beyond that is the Ottawa River and on the other side is Gatineau Park - a huge protected park.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, I'll try and explain myself one more time. You don't have to hang the suet at your level to enjoy the birds. Hang it low.

Bluejays will spend an ENTIRE DAY taking apart the ball and squirreling away the bits in corners of tree limbs, etc. They won't quit until the ball is gone. I bet they'd hide some of it even at the FIFTH STORY LEVEL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit