Uses of The 4th Dimension (Einstein was wrong!)

by use4d 138 Replies latest social current

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    AuldSoul: Ignoring the God argument entirely, for the moment, is it possible that the Big Bang was simply a manifestation of "objects" (by which I mean objects with 3 spacial dimensions) into our 3d universe?

Is there an arguement to support the idea that the 3s+1t dimensions that we can observe are the base dimensions, the dimensions from which all the others "unfold"? Is there any such thing as a "base" dimension.

AuldSoul: In other words, time only started with the Big Bang IF (1) we correctly understand the properties of time and (2) no events occurred in any other universe or any other dimension prior to the Big Bang. I will grant that time in our 3s+1t universe started with the Big Bang, as it was the first 3s+1t event from which to start marking the gaps spanning to other events.

I agree, Time did not exist before the Big Bang, so the phrase "before the Big Bang" is redundant, except in the context of other theoretical universes. However, is the word "before" really semantically sensible even in these cases? In the other universes, the 1st dimension might not exist in the same way as it does in ours.

flyphisher: Yes, thats what I meant ! There cannot be TIME without an OBSERVER ! And the question is: WHO can serve as an observer in the physical understanding? So-called "REALISTS" believe, that only consciousness (e.g. a person) can serve as an "observer" in physics. They believe that a wavefunction collapse (in quantum theory) has to be bound to an observation through a conscious person. But this is not right.

In my opinion, Time should be treated just the same as the other dimensions. These realists as you rightly say are wrong, because there are no conscious observers that we know of who can observe the higher dimensions. Or did the dimensions just pop into existance as soon as physicists started calculating the mathematics as to their existance?... The fact that Time or a state factor collapse has to be "observed" to be said to exist does not necessarily mean that it must be observed by a conscious being. In my opinion, another particle is more than enough to be the "observer" if the particles have an interaction with one another that is able to be ultimately observed. Observer doesn't mean that someone is standing there looking at it, lol.

If a tree falls in a forest but theres no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?... well the answer is yes... and no. It causes vibrations in the air that CAN be percieved as sound by a human if the human were present. However, because a human is not present, the vibrations are not sound. In this case, the very air that is vibrated is the "observer".

Do red or blue exist? In a way, they exist as wavelengths, but NO, they do not exist as colours unless they are percieved as red and blue by the human eye. In fact Benjamin Thompson in a famous light experiment, figured that the human mind can add its own colour to a grey area. In the same way, Time does exist but only as a dimensional concept. It is only percieved as Time, by the beings who can percieve it, and we can interpret it and add bulk to the illusion as our brains see fit.

Time is an "illusion" in a similar way to how light is an "illusion".

Terry: "TIME" doesn't exist the way atoms exist. Time is a bookkeeping method of marking the distance between actual events.
    ballistic: Time still exists without an observer, although there is a philosophical opinion that time does not exist without change. I personally believe in the idea that time is more of an inherant property of space and not merely a mathematical construct "space-time".

I think im more inclined to agree with you ballistic. I agree that as a dimension time does not exist in the same way as atoms, but also space itself does not exist in the same way as atoms either. I see Time as of the same quality as the 3 spacial dimensions, but as merely percieved as the distance between events, just as space is percieved as the distance between objects.

Notice that you use the phrase "distance between events". I read in the Encyclopaedia Britannica the following:

Space-Time. In physical science, single concept that recognizes the union of space and time, posited by Albert Einstein in the theories of relativity (1905, 1915). Common intuition previously supposed no connection between space and time...

However i dont believe this is true. (Far be it for me to criticise the great and worthy Encyclopaedia Britannica). Semantically, we invariably speak of time in terms of space, which reflects they way we think of time and space in the same terms. A few examples from Guy Deutscher's book "The Unfolding of Language" show that even some of the simplest words, prepositions, that were originally used to discribe spatial relations, are used to describe temporal relations as well...

SPACIAL ---------- TEMPORAL

from London to Paris ---------- from Monday to Friday

in England ---------- in January

at the door ---------- at noon

he king rode before the army ---------- he king rode before the battle started

they are a mile behind us ---------- they are an hour behind us

the shop after the post office ---------- the hours after darkness

within the prison ---------- within a year

through the jungle ---------- through the month

outside Africa ---------- outside office hours

around the fire ---------- around lunchtime

about the neighbourhood ---------- about midnight

This doesnt prove that Time and each of the three dimensions of Space are esensially the same thing, but it goes a bit of a way to getting the brain around such a difficult concept from a linguistic angle.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    MYSELF: Time and each of the three dimensions of Space are esensially the same thing

I think the correct spelling of "essentially" got lost in the 26th dimension.

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

dorayakii, and to ALL

The fact that Time or a state factor collapse has to be "observed" to be said to exist does not necessarily mean that it must be observed by a conscious being. In my opinion, another particle is more than enough to be the "observer" if the particles have an interaction with one another that is able to be ultimately observed.

This is quite right in most parts. I do agree. But we have to assume, that particles must show a certain minimal-configuration to be able to serve as "observer". I do not believe that an elementary particle like a photon is sufficiently complex to sense TIME. A complete atom certainly --> yes, maybe baryons (protons, neutrons), because they are more complex and consist of sub-particles. Note: Every sensed time interval (elapse time) has to be measured and STORED in the particle for a moment. (The shortest time interval possible ist the Planck time 5.39121 × 10 -44 s, as you know). Otherwise no "recognition" or "sensing process" is possible; and if not possible, then there - on the other hand - NO TIME exist !!

But note: You cannot imagine the impact to epistemology and philosophy, if the so-called "physical realism" has to acknowledge, that Kurt Goedel had right, that TIME is indeed only a physical illusion, objectively not existing, and have to be SENSED through a suitable SENSORIUM btw. an "observer" (which can also be material structure, and not necessarily an entity having consciousness e.g. a person).

Such a "physical revolution" will result into a super-paradigma.

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

dorayakii

time does not exist in the same way as atoms, but also space itself does not exist in the same way

Quite right. If TIME is a "physical illusion" (as Goedel had postulated), then space is a physical illusion TOO !! Simple conclusion: The three space dimensions are just "constructions" of those elementary structures which are able to sense TIME. And because DISTANCES are resulting of consecutive time-measurements (or "time-sensing-processes"!) --> distance = speed x time, and speed is a function of time (exactly said: a result of a certain time measurement").

The new physical paradigma is on the way, folks;-)

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

Terry

All things are made of a "smallest part". We used to call them atoms. Suffice it to say these building blocks are what "things" are made of.All things are made of a "smallest part". We used to call them atoms. Suffice it to say these building blocks are what "things" are made of.

A traditional physical view, meanwhile up-dated by the results of modern quantum theory, e.g. teleportation. Note: You cannot operate with simplified "building blocks" having those paradoxical quantum mechanics-features, known as the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen effect. This is one argument of many others. Read e.g. http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry: You'd have to double/triple/etc. all the atoms existing in the universe many times over to have enough blocks for a continuum to allow the past to "exist" and still build a future.

And this is impossible? If so, why?

I could have expressed this more lucidly.

Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. Matter=Energy. What I was trying to say was that there is no way to INCREASE the number of atoms (building blocks).

That's all.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    In my opinion, Time should be treated just the same as the other dimensions. These realists as you rightly say are wrong, because there are no conscious observers that we know of who can observe the higher dimensions

Remember that the language of science is math; especially physics.

Higher math does not of necessity reflect reality.

That can be a huge red herring.

Talking about DIMENSIONS is a tricky linguistic trap filled with metaphorical land mines and aided by the rubbery nature of higher math which can seemingly fit the postulate and assertions like a sock fits a foot.

Man learns actual knowledge in three ways.

1.Observation of tangible reality. Objective reality is ostensible; but, requires no observer itself. Man requires the observation or he must rely on:

2.Inference. The "effect" of a cause leads to a "there is smoke so there must be fire" abstraction of some reality.

3.Abstract reasoning. Here is the quicksand. Man's mind can create castles in the air which he then tries to inhabit. Scientists pack their suitcase and charter a jet, but, there is no e.t.a. Successful theorizing can confirm a postulate or conjecture that has been supported by math and choc-a-bloc inferences. However, there is no guarantee it will.

All conversations about DIMENSIONS (when it goes beyond the observable) is conjecture and science is comfortable talking about it. All I am pointing out here is that science is never FINAL or SETTLED.

Don't step in quicksand too quickly.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    A traditional physical view, meanwhile up-dated by the results of modern quantum theory, e.g. teleportation.

I think you've been reading the wrong magazines.

T.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello flyphisher

But note: You cannot imagine the impact to epistemology and philosophy, if the so-called "physical realism" has to acknowledge, that Kurt Goedel had right, that TIME is indeed only a physical illusion, objectively not existing, and have to be SENSED through a suitable SENSORIUM btw. an "observer" (which can also be material structure, and not necessarily an entity having consciousness e.g. a person).

Good. You seem to have a rare understanding of the weird world of quantum physics. This didn't come from a high school science class. The only point you make that is puzzling to me is that of Kurt Goedel, that a "suitable SENSORIUM" does not have to have CONSCIOUSNESS. What notable experimentation has been done to prove this hypothesis. As Neils Bohr suggested in the Copenhagen Interpretation 80 years ago (basically, if your LOOKING for a particle you will find a particle, if your look for a wave you will find a wave) WE the OBSERVER in our world force the wave collapse by 'looking'. I know decoherence is a new idea that may contradict this conclusion but has it been demonstrated by experimentation? Steve BTW, this is the most inspiring discussion of Physics I have seen on the board and I agree with Jgnat that its surprising that I hit and run odd post started it off.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Terry,

Man learns actual knowledge in three ways.

1.Observation of tangible reality. Objective reality is ostensible; but, requires no observer itself. Man requires the observation or he must rely on:

2.Inference. The "effect" of a cause leads to a "there is smoke so there must be fire" abstraction of some reality.

3.Abstract reasoning. Here is the quicksand. Man's mind can create castles in the air which he then tries to inhabit. Scientists pack their suitcase and charter a jet, but, there is no e.t.a. Successful theorizing can confirm a postulate or conjecture that has been supported by math and choc-a-bloc inferences. However, there is no guarantee it will.

All conversations about DIMENSIONS (when it goes beyond the observable) is conjecture and science is comfortable talking about it. All I am pointing out here is that science is never FINAL or SETTLED.

That is good, Terry. Most of what we are discussing here is about the observable yet beyond the observable. Nothing we have come to understand to be INSIDE the atom can be observed and the way we understand it certainly is NOT FINAL. On the other hand we have never actually observed an electron in a relative state of energy inside an atom (unless a recent issue of Scientific American is correct). Yet, we have, by using the yet unseen electron and proton model, come up with modern chemistry, microbiology and electronics which would not exist except for the 'castle in the air' model of the atom that QM gave us almost a century ago. I admit it does get a little unsettling when QM, relativity theory and string theory propose new concepts that change our perception of our own world. To me it is good to keep a foot tightly anchored to the ground as you have while allowing ourselves to enter these "castles in the air" that have given us demonstratably good results along with a new perspective of reality. BTW, I find all of your post very insightful. Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit