Man COURT ORDERED to attend K-Hall meetings!!

by DannyHaszard 31 Replies latest social current

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hmmmm I don't know. Maybe the judge just thinks that the crooks he doesn't send to jail to be with other crooks should go to the meetings to be with other crooks.

• blondie
    blondie

The guy was up on racist slurs and this was a mostly BLACK JW congregation. And as had been said, it seems his lawyer made the choice. It could be that this guy has some kind of JW tie in his background, parent, grandparent, sibling or perhaps raised as a JW but never baptized.

Blondie

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

Hmm... a drunk and a racist.. All he needs to do is molest a child, and blow the CO, and they will appoint him.

• carla
    carla

Did you write your letter yet?

On another note, I wonder if he actually became a full fledged member and at some point had to make a blood decision that resulted in the death of a loved one, then later left the society, could he hold the state liable for forcing him into the jw's? or at least facilitating the membership of a cult?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

If I read it correctly, the judge ordered him to go to a mostly-black church. It was his choice which church to go to. And he had the option of jail instead, so the decision to go to church or jail was up to him.

All the same, I'd think he could've picked a more fun church than a kingdom hall!

Dave

• codeblue
    codeblue

Why would the court want him to attend a religion that allows pedophiles?

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Doesn't the lawyer look more guilty than the defendant? And two big thumbs up on the black and white stripes.

I would like to get some more information about this case. The article doesn't seem to say whose choice it was to send the man to the Kingdom Hall. If the judge picked, I would like to know why he sent the man to a cult. If the lawyer or the defendant chose then I wonder if the kingdom hall fits the judges definition of a church. The term church is primarily used by Christians and JWs aren't Christians by the mainstream definition.

Another article seems to explain the judges position a little better. http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/EDIT01/601180302/1020/EDIT

The judge was trying to derail a phenomenon hate-crimes experts see all the time: Offenders convicted of race-related charges often leave jail even more bigoted - and with a network of organized hate groups to boot.
    I understand where the judge is coming from, my uncle was a prison warden and used to tell us about all the gang activity and racism that went on in prison. However, I think it would have been better to send the man to secular diversity training instead of telling him to go to church just to avoid the whole church/state issue.
  • Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Hmm... a drunk and a racist.. All he needs to do is molest a child, and blow the CO, and they will appoint him.

I almost spit water all over my desk when I read that.

• undercover
    undercover
    I see a First Amendment lawsuit coming out of this one! A judge CANNOT force a person to participate in religious activities any more than a judge can restrict a person from participating in religious activities.

They force people to go to A.A. meetings all the time. Read the 12 step program and their literature and tell me that A.A. ain't religious.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I would like to get some more information about this case. The article doesn't seem to say whose choice it was to send the man to the Kingdom Hall. If the judge picked, I would like to know why he sent the man to a cult. If the lawyer or the defendant chose then I wonder if the kingdom hall fits the judges definition of a church.

The article said: "His lawyer, Dennis Deters, said Haines enjoyed the experience and would likely return to the same church this weekend and, possibly, for the remaining Sundays of his sentence."

This makes it sound like it was the defendant that had control of what church he attended. And I seriously doubt the judge would want to get into declaring one bible-thumping religion a "church" and another one not. Not room enough in all the world for the worms that would leap from that can.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit