What weird things have you read in the bible?

by stillAwitness 59 Replies latest jw friends

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    stillA: LO L! At dorayakii! Hey, man you crack me up! I don't think we've meant? Me, stillA. You, funny.

Why, thank you stillA. Nice to meet you... and may i just comment that your hair is like a drove of goats, and your neck like the tower of David, built in courses of stone? (Was that a good chat-up line or what??)

Spectrum: It would have been fun to see your translation of them. The apple tree one seemed really rude.

Well, um...

Song of Solomon 2: 3 "As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste."

Well, umm... ... umm, well... sitting under the shadow of a man, and tasting his hanging "fruit" does seem a bit rude doesn't it?... It puts a whole new light on my new diet to try and eat at least 5 portions of fruit a day.

• free2beme
    free2beme

When Lot sent out the servant girl to be raped killed and torn to pieces. Showed me how much Jehovah contradicted himself in saying he respected life and then allowed that, while his angels were there. Supposedly these angels were powerful enough to do such things as destroy cities and civilization, but could they spare the life of a poor servant girl? Guess not.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I made it as far as Sodom and Gomorrah, when I literally threw down my Bible in disgust at Lot's incest episode.

Yeah. I was always disgusted by that too!

• MungoBaobab
  • Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

by the way, you guys who have cited the Outrage at Gibeah (that's the cutting up of the girl into 12 parts and the Benjamites sin), there are several reasons why that entire story is either fictional or at least anachronistic and probably the former.

-Eduardo

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

What about this one: The Bible is the Word of God, right? Its authors were inspired by God. Of course they knew this, that they were inspired by God, or how else could they write of things happening in heaven, thousands of years ago, decades old coversations verbatim, etc.

Okay. Then explain this:

1 Corinthians 7:10- "To the married people I give instructions, yet not I but the Lord, that a wife should not depart from her husband."
    1 Corinthians 7:12- "But to the others I say, yes, I not the Lord: If any brother has an unbelieveing wife, and yet she is agreeable to dwelling with him, let him not leave her."

So, is 1 Corinthians the word of God, or not? 'Cause Paul kinda says he doesn't think it is, and he wrote the damn thing.

Then there's the matter of appropriate language in the Bible.

Galatians 5:12- "I wish the men who are trying to overturn you would even get themselves emascualted."

Oh yeah, that's appropriate. Imagine an elder giving a talk said such a thing!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

After the death of Jesus this event happens:

Mat 27:52

and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;

Mat 27:53

and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many

And yet it's rarely talked about or explained, at the kingdom hall or a church, in my experience. Some Bible commentators say this is an addition to Matthew's writing culled from "The *Gospel of the Nazarenes."

*from Wikipedia

The Gospel of the Nazarenes is a book of the New Testament Apocrypha. It may or may not be the same as, or derived from, the Gospel of the Hebrews. Due to the fragmentary nature of both works, there is little certainty regarding their relationship, although there is a strong affinity between the two. Whatever the origin, and similarity of the text, this version of the text was the one used by the Nazarenes of Beroea, Syria (Aleppo).

The book itself has completely disappeared; all that survives comes to us in the form of quotations by Clement, Origen, Jerome, and Cyril of Jerusalem, which contain twenty or more fragments. It has, however, been the subject of many critical surmises and discussions in the course of the last century, and recent discussions in a growing body of literature have thrown considerable light upon the problems connected with this Gospel.

• loosie
    loosie

I used to read the Song of Solomon when the group was reading another part of the bible. My mother used to give me that "look" when she saw what I was doing. but who can blame me I was reading the interesting stuff.

• d
    d

The bible has many weird parts especially the book of Revelation that is some pure nightmare fuel.

• TheWanderer
    TheWanderer

Something that is a very different sort of 'weird' for me. I'm too tired to look it up.. but I know there is a parable Jesus gave about an old servant about to be retired by his owner, realizing that he would be let go, essentially he went to the people who owed money to his owner, and told them they owed less. Really, he was helping his boss's creditors to steal from his owner!

And Jesus applauded him! I never understood what lesson we were to learn from that, and I've come to assume something there was lost in translation, lol

(Unless we've got it all wrong, and there's a missing chapter of 3 John where were are told to follow Ye Olde Ponzi Scheme...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit