She has cancer. What about her job?

by Fatfreek 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My husband NEVER smoked. He learned he had lung cancer and 5 months later he died!

I miss him terribly!

They could have treated him successfully if it hadn't spread so fast to his liver.The chemo was shrinking the tumor in his lung but they can't treat the liver so easily.

His was the most aggressive kind there was.

Hopefully they can help her...I wish them the best.

Snoozy..

• simplesally
    simplesally

Rather than quit she could get the doctor to put her on disability .......... you don't want her fired, she will lose her medical insurance.

• Carol
    Carol

I also suggest staying mum for the time being, until she has all of the facts and options. I

n the interim, I'd suggest researching the State and Federal laws. I find it difficult to believe any employer would fire someone for being ill. As far as the pregnant former employee, depending on the type of work done by you daughter in law's company, there has to be more to the story, as Federal Law as well as most State's laws prohibit such a firing.

There are many, many, many Federally funded programs that your Son should look into, in the event your Daughter-in-Law does lose her job and/or benefits.

Please let us know how things turn out.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If she needs accommodations on her job right now, she can apply for protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act, if her employer qualifies for it and if the employee does too. Personally, I think she's better off applying for protection now rather than later, if she's fairly certain her application will be approved, that is. That way, there is no question the employer knew about it and it is clear she cannot be fired for having a disability. If she keeps it a secret from them and they later fire her for whatever reason, she cannot claim they fired her for her cancer because there will be absolutely no way to prove they even knew about it.

It is not illegal to fire someone who has a disability or is pregnant. It is just illegal to fire them for that reason. If she does not have a labor contract that requires firing to occur for cause, and your state has an at will employment law, then she can be fired for any reason or no reason at all--as long as it is not due to one of the few unlawful termination reasons.

• Mary
    Mary

Geeze.....my immediate reaction was to say 'yes, tell her employer', but I didn't realize that her job might be in jeapordy if they found out. I thought it was illegal to fire someone for having a disease!

What they need to do is check her benefits through work (assuming she has benefits). I know the States health care system is different than ours (Canada, where it's all paid for) and varies alot. Does she have sick benefits? What about coverage for the actual treatments?

• LDH
    LDH

((((((((((((SNOOZY))))))))))

My husband NEVER smoked. He learned he had lung cancer and 5 months later he died!

I miss him terribly

I was NOT thinking of the ADA act, but rather FMLA. How large is her employer, ie, how many people work there? What are her benefits like?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Better news. (with lung cancer, I understand there may be no such thing as good news) Her employer is giving her 3 months leave of absence -- with pay. So they are trying to be fair. Her cancer is Large Cell type, the "better" of the two. It has spread to the lymph nodes. So it's going to be chemo, etc. Thanks so much for your support. My son frequents this board and will be reading your posts. Fats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit