She has cancer. What about her job?

by Fatfreek 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

My son's wife was diagnosed today with lung cancer. It wasn't a big surprise to anyone, including her. Until now, this 44 year old was a lifetime smoker. Of course, we wish her the best and that treatments will put it into remission. They haven't yet said what type (I understand there are generally two types) it is.

He told me this afternoon that he was going by her workplace and tell them the news. I suggested that he wait and not volunteer anything. Am I being overly suspicious? He'd told me several months ago that one of her co-workers got terminated because they learned she was pregnant.

Fats

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No need to reveal information they do not need to know.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I'm sorry for her. Hope you all can cope well with this. No, I would say hold off on telling them. In fact, why not let her tell her workmates when she feels it's okay? (And also armed with more information?)

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No need to say anything now, or ever unless she's close to certain people.

Even when she does, there's no one who should know except possibly her boss and HR.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Silence is golden. You'll rarely regret not saying something.

Dave

• LDH
    LDH

Not a word.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Silence is golden. You'll rarely regret not saying something.

Dave

Truer words were never not said..

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks, all, for your comments. I've passed them along. He now says he will stay mum unless pinned down by, say, her manager.

Fats

• Soledad
    Soledad

I agree that she shouldn't say anything. But then what happens when she needs to start getting chemo---assuming she will undergo this treatment? How will she explain the absences and/or tardiness? How would you all handle that? I'm just being curious here.

• Scully
    Scully

Unless she is part of a union and has job security, I wouldn't volunteer anything just yet. Where I am it is illegal to fire an employee when they become critically ill - they get a certain amount of sick benefits covered by our Employment Insurance.

I hope it goes well for your daughter-in-law. I'm sure she's scared and will appreciate all the support your can family can give her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit