What do you believe now?

by NowImFree 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

daystar wrote:

Most of the secular humanist values are the same as Christian values. Generally SHs hold to a Golden Rule sort of system of values. Why? Specifically. Is there some universal scientific laws that tell you to still keep those values, that they're "good"?

If you can't answer the "why", haven't you just kept the exact same value system and merely done away with the dogmatic, religious part? Could not there also, still, be a problem with the system of values? Should we not also discover our highest values and put them to test as well?

For the most part, most people in the Western world hold pretty close value systems; based on the notions of individual liberties and of being a positive and constructive member of society. Other cultures may have slightly different stresses. For instance, in the Orient, society tends to be more important than the individuals.

The reason for that bit of a digression is to show that morality is a product of culture. All social animals; chimps, dogs, whales, humans, etc., require rules of conduct. That's the very definition of social. Those rules permit individuals to fit within a hieararchy that allow the society to function. In return the society offers the individual protection and support.

It shouldn't surprise you that an atheist would share many morals with a theist. In fact, I doubt you'll find very many atheists that don't, because atheists, like theists, are products of their culture. However, the key difference for those of a rationalist humanist bent is that they do not view these codes as divinely inspired. This means that there is an acceptance that morals are indeed relative, and that is bourne out by comparing different societies, and even the same society through different periods of its history.

Morals change over time. They don't change willy-nilly, but rather as a society evolves. Morals are not concrete absolutes handed down by some Big Guy in the Sky, they are part of a larger apparatus of society; involving economics, religion, politics and philosophy. Thus we see the rise of humanism during the Enlightenment, which was largely in response to the horrific religious wars that had so damaged European society, and left it fractured and bereft of the security of the Medieval church. Humanist philosophers began to envision moral systems that were based upon reason, so that a man of any faith could function and even prosper in a society based up rationally-derived ideas of right and wrong. In other words, one could not simply justify any alleged moral position with the phrase "God says so", because, whether there was a God as Christians or anyone else envisioned, it was simply too easy to abuse that justification, and too difficult to demonstrate it to be false.

My morals are subtly different than they were in my JW days. While the biggies like not stealing, not bearing false witness, not committing adultery and the like are certainly present, I do not accept, for instance, that homosexuality is bad, or that one need hold any particular orthodox religious belief (whether within the context of one's faith group or within the larger society). I believe humans have a built-in need to fit within the society they are born into, and that means accepting, by and large, the rules of that society. They may attempt to justify their recognition and obedience to those rules by referencing some supernatural origins, but ultimately, our morality is the product of many aspects of our history, and that what we find right and wrong today may seem quite parochial and even delerious, just as we view slavery and burning of heretics to be immoral today.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    The reason for that bit of a digression is to show that morality is a product of culture. All social animals; chimps, dogs, whales, humans, etc., require rules of conduct. That's the very definition of social. Those rules permit individuals to fit within a hieararchy that allow the society to function. In return the society offers the individual protection and support.

I disagree completely with the moral constructivist view.

Morals change over time. They don't change willy-nilly, but rather as a society evolves.

No, they don`t. That is, some do, while others don`t. Certain values are forever changing, and will continue to be that way. Also, one has to distinguish between things that are permitted in culture, and to what degree they are permitted, and what one can know about what people felt ("back then" or "over there") when they did this thing that was permitted. One example: In my part of the world, a thousand years ago, before Christianity, it was common to put infants out in the woods to die (this still happens in India). Retarded children, disfigured children, and often girls, were put out in the woods to die. However, even if this was common at a certain time in history, this doesn`t mean that it was permitted. And even if it was permitted, that tells us nothing about how people felt about this custom. What can we know about how the people, in various cultures in the past, felt about the custom of human sacrifice? How can we know what the relatives and/or audience of a human burn-offering felt when the person was sacrificed? Not very much. History can be deceiving. My point, and my view, is, that there is a certain set of principles in the heart of all people, all across the world, and these principles are, in a sense, "eternal". Whether these principles come from ouside us (big man in the sky...) or from inside us, that is irrelevant. However, there are certain moral principles/guidelines that are based in the core of man, in what it means to be a member of the human race. And in my opinion, it has nothing to do with just "rules of engagement".

Morals are not concrete absolutes handed down by some Big Guy in the Sky
    Agreed. God is not necessary for morals. The whole reason why religion has caused so much mayhem and suffering, is, in my opinion, because whoever wrote those religious books a few thousand years ago, inserted "moral" details (which had very little to do with real morality, but a whole lot more to do with culture) into those books that shouldn`t have been there. That it is/was "immoral" for a man to have sex with another man, is just culture, and has nothing to do with morality. But somehow, this "principle" got in with all the others, with all the genuine moral principles, such as "thou shalt not kill".
  • daystar
    daystar

Kid-A, Hellrider, Rodentboy

Those were all great responses. I think the most important point for me is to understand that the majority of the values and morals that many of us have are informed by religion. And I've seen in many cases that SHs do away with God, but fail to challenge the values/morals that were ingrained by their religion and by the Christian society that we live in, beyond the most surface issues, such as, for example, homosexuality.

That's not to necessarily say that those values are not useful. They very well may be. But in order for us to be truly free powerful individuals, and in an attempt to ensure we are not still being enslaved by a herd mentality, we must discover what these highest values are and put them to test.

• Jake99
    Jake99

Religions will all dissapear when you follow the operating system recommended in the bible, and the leader who has been, as Jesus was. If you were like Jesus, you would do as he did, not what this world does. I have yet to find anyone other than myself, who endorses the environmental operating system recommended in the bible, thus all of you stand firmly against the Messiah. You won't need a mysterious book to guide you in the future, for Christ in the flesh will lead all to the promised land. And if you want the system to only use 144,000 leaders, I am quite sure that will be enough, verses the millions you have today. That is how simple it gets in the twinkling of an eye.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit