birthdays

by cr1234 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Schizm
    Schizm
    >>Celebrating one's birthday, or that of another person's, is a practice of the "world".

Schism! How could you be a member here for so long and still spout such garbage?

Just proves that I haven't let you rub off on me, Dave. LOL

Can you honestly defend the Watchtower's position in a way that disproves my accusation of arbitrariness? (Is "arbitrariness" a word?)

The Watchtower's position regarding the celebration of birthdays is a proper stand. To me there is a difference between a "birthday celebration" (a worldly practice) and commorating the birth of a child or family member. The latter, of course, would be done for the purpose of the family reflecting on the life (soul) that came into existence on the person's day of birth. The manner in which a Christian would deal with commemorating the birth of a child highlights the sacredness of life. The worldy "birthday celebration," however, is not done for the same purpose; and primarily focuses on the "fun" aspect of the occasion.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Then why live around "worldly" people who celebrate b-days and such. Only go out to preach then.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Just proves that I haven't let you rub off on me, Dave. LOL

LOL! I'm rude to you, and you're joking back. Thanks for letting that one slip, I was an ass and I appreciate you not calling me on it.

>> The worldy "birthday celebration," however, is not done for the same purpose; and primarily focuses on the "fun" aspect of the occasion.

Birthday celebrations are fun, and that's why they're bad? I know that's not what you really mean to use as a defense. Why are fun bday celebrations bad, but fun baby showers are ok?

Dave

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Then why live around "worldly" people who celebrate b-days and such. Only go out to preach then.

Most Christians I know find themselves born amid the citys of the world, needing to be employed by worldly companies that provide a living wage for them to support their families. Jesus never told his followers to "get out of the world". Instead, he prayed for his father to watch over them while they were in the world.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    >> The worldy "birthday celebration," however, is not done for the same purpose; and primarily focuses on the "fun" aspect of the occasion.

Birthday celebrations are fun, and that's why they're bad? I know that's not what you really mean to use as a defense. Why are fun bday celebrations bad, but fun baby showers are ok?

Dave

The Watchtower's condoning baby showers appears to be sound. To me there is a difference between a a "Baby Shower" as practiced by the world, and that of a baby shower as practiced in a Christian way. The latter, of course, would have a two-fold purpose: 1) to help with the material provisions for the upcoming child. 2) and there is the spiritual aspect, where the Creator of life is taken into account. The manner in which a Christian would deal with having a baby shower would put emphasis on the sacredness of life. The worldy "Baby Shower," however, has no "spiritual aspect" to it, and primarily focuses on the "fun" aspect of the occasion.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Most Christians I know find themselves born amid the citys of the world, needing to be employed by worldly companies that provide a living wage for them to support their families. Jesus never told his followers to "get out of the world". Instead, he prayed for his father to watch over them while they were in the world.

How convenient!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    How convenient!

No, just realistic!

• slpdajp
    slpdajp

Didn't Joseph & Mary accept the 3 gifts given to them on Jesus birthday?

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Didn't Joseph & Mary accept the 3 gifts given to them on Jesus birthday?

It definitely wasn't on Jesus' birthday that the Magi brought the gifts. Jesus was living in a house by that time, and possibly nearing 2 years of age. The Magi's gifts weren't for the purpose of a birthday present. Instead, they came to present gifts to a person whom they believed was destined to become a "king".

• Schizm
    Schizm

slpdajp,

The question you posed betrays how the churches of Christendom have caused people to believe things that are not true. Yes, because of Christendom portraying the Magi right alongside the Shepherds in the "Manger scene" it has caused many people to not accurately know the Bible story surrounding Jesus' birth. You might enjoy reading this relevant thread: Catholic "Manger Scene" misrepresents the facts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit