Society's recall of older books

by rekless 38 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their books do not have any long term value because their theology is not sound and they themselves reject their older books by calling them out of date, but the truth has no "sell by date", it is eternal. Some congos tried to control info availability by destroying such old books with an embarassing content.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I remember an announcement in the late 1990s/early 2000s about a number of old books still being available and if any of the bros & sis wanted them to go and collect them after the meeting. At the time I felt it was another way of getting rid of the evidence against the Tower! As has been mentioned, truth shouldn't change with the passage of time - so the Tower needs to cover up its lies!

Ian

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

The library of the KH I'm vegging in (shared by 3 congregations), has indeed culled all the WT bound volumes older than 1950 and all the Awakes older than 1970. But on the other hand, it currently has all the Studies in the Scriptures as well as several of the Rutherford's Rainbow series of books. The local elders in charge would have surely gotten rid of them too if it was so ordered.

I think most of you are just rememberimg those announcements for library building. Heck, I even remember later announcements (sometime in the late 90s early 00's) to no longer send books back to the Bethel branches. But by that time they were probably getting books that were mostly printed from the 80's onward, so who needed them. Having most of these books around in their library can be worked to the Borg's advantage in sifting.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Rumors get started this way............. Please read this thread carefully. There was no announcement to return books to the Society for destruction it was to help new KH's get their library started. I was in a KH that had 3 congregations. There were 3 libraries set up with only one library being complete back as far as Russell books. The second congregation was pretty complete, but the 3rd one was bare since it was: 1)new 2) publishers had dontated their older books to the 1st and 2nd congregations when they were members of those halls.

An announcement was made to all 3 halls regarding the need and a request to the Society for older publications was made. When we visited Bethel in London, we even brought back some older WT and Awakes! to help the library.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't remember anything that could be construed as a 'book burning' campaign at all. I do recall times when books were needed to fill other congo's libraries [though that is a little fuzzy and way back in my mind], and the need to fill other congo's literature counters at times.

I think the society has relied on the short term memory of it's adherants, combined with the 'new light' doctrine, which erases most any previous error with impunity. I retained hundreds of old pubs until one day I took them in boxes to the KH and left them anonymously. I know of many witnesses with quite large libraries of older books.

True, some of them are an embarrassment to the GB now, but they keep active witnesses so busy with new pubs that I doubt they are ever read by the average jdub anyway. The older pubs they would like to recall are the ones us 'apostates' have. That would solve some problems if they could do that - but it aint gonna happen baby.

Jeff

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I don't remember any announcment to that fact in my area. I do remember an announcment stating that if you have old books, that they should be disposed of because of the "old" light. My mother went though my dad's library (he had tons of old books) and got rid of quite a few. She had duplicates of quite a lot of books/bound volumes from over the years and she tried to give them to the hall for the libraries and the elders told her to throw them out.

BB

• KW13
    KW13

heh, seems like a way to control what we all read. Big Brother.

• serendipity
    serendipity

The library in my cong. has some old publications, even old WTs from the 30's.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

""The books were ordered destroyed for a good reason: to avoid confusion!""

Ordered destroyed? That is about the DUMBEST comment I have seen here. Almost all of the publications are in somebody's library, if not in a Kingdom Hall library then in a personal one.

My parents did not return any older publications and have a library going back to the early Fifty's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit