Society's recall of older books

by rekless 38 Replies latest jw friends

• rekless
    rekless

Does anybody remember when the WTBTS ask all the congregations to bring back all the old outdated books. I think it was in the late eighties.

There was an announcement from the podium, return old books so they could be returned to New York.

I was too lazy to go through my books and take them in. My collection was from the early fifties.

Maybe Blondie will remember.

thanks

Dan

• Satanus
    Satanus

I remember it.

S

• Mary
    Mary

Whaaaaat??!! You're kidding!! I didn't know they did this!! What reason did they give for recalling the older books?

• rekless
    rekless

Do you remember any details to it, or reasons why. For the life of me I can't remember. The post about ISBN book numbers got my gray matter slopping around. Was it for just one book or any old publication?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I can't remember this. Or maybe it was nor here at all.

I only know that in the 80's you had to place the old books (60's en 70's books) very cheap, 3 at a time.

• Rescripting_myself
    Rescripting_myself

I did not know that WTS recalled the books. Something interesting that I did about a year and a half ago. I called our local WTS branch committee coordinator (?) (I'm unsure of the current correct title - is it coordinator or chairman?) and told him that I had come across all the Russel era WTS publications and if he would be interested. He did not give me a direct answer and left the matter hanging. Now that I have learned that WTS recalled all old publications has made me add up two and two together for an understanding of part of the reason why he avoided the subject.

RM

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Never heard of a recall. There are still cam'Pains with books pubished in the 80s like the prince of peace book and so forth. I think they are just trying to widdle the congos supply of these books down.

In the 2000s we still had books like "Gods kingdom of a thousand years", "You can live forever" "Kingdom come" "Let god be true" behind the liturgy counter.

A few years ago we got a letter stating that older books and overstock that werent being used should be transfered to congos that might use them.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Does anybody remember when the WTBTS ask all the congregations to bring back all the old outdated books. I think it was in the late eighties.

I remember an announcement that if anyone had old publications they were not using to please turn them in.The reason stated was that the books would be given to newly formed congregations so that their libraries could be completed. I wonder if the real reason was just to get all that"old light" out of the hands of the rank and file. I think this was in the 70's.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I remember an announcement that if anyone had old publications they were not using to please turn them in.The reason stated was that the books would be given to newly formed congregations so that their libraries could be completed. I wonder if the real reason was just to get all that"old light" out of the hands of the rank and file. I think this was in the 70's.

I remember this too and for the same reason. I seem to think it was more in the late '80s as mentioned, but it may have been said at different times at different KHs. We DID have another incident along these lines though.....around this same time we had one of the annointed die. When his wife was cleaning out their home, she donated a passle of the old Golden Age (or whatever the AWAKEs used to be called) and had let it be known that they were on the litter-ature counter and that anyone who wished to, could take one (per family, so that as many as possible could have one for their own personal library)

A week or so later there were several announcements made for about five or six consecutive meetings....saying that whoever had taken any of these to bring them back. They said they were taken "mistakenly" (?) and should be returned to the KH ASAP. I wasn't one whoever questioned what the elders said (back THEN) but I DID stop and think how fishy it sounded, what with all the "urgency" it seemed to convey AND the fact that the older sister had plainly stated what she had....

Curiouser and curiouser....

Annie

• Forscher
    Forscher

Yes, I remember the anouncement. The reason given was so that newly formed congregations could get copies of older literature for their libraries. There is a site somewhere by an ex-JW who went up to the hewadquarters to help out with something. While he was there, he found out that most of the books recieved were burned by the WTBTS. I don't have a record of the address, maybe somebody else may have it. Maybe somebody here who was with at Bethel/watchower farm at the time can confirm or deny it.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit