awake helps to educate people...

by DannyBloem 19 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I think I got more "education" from that magazine Highlights for Children

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Amazing1914,

The Awake! phamplet is not news, nor is it particularly informative, except to 10-year olds and below.

I once read a homeschooling book – a good liberal one that was actually about education – which recommended Awake! magazine for precisely this age group.

gently feral

• Jez
    Jez

Anyday now, 99.9% of humanity is going to be terminated. Finally, all the evil ones will be killed off by God. This is not far in the future, this is going to happen any second...

according to JW's.

AND YET ALL THEY CAN TALK ABOUT IS SUNSCREEN, USE IT SO THAT YOU DON'T GET CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR HOW RICE IS MADE, OR "WHAT IS A BURRITO?"

Come on, it is plainly obvious that they themselves don't even believe the end is coming, and if they really DO believe it, they are doing a piss poor job of preaching it, warning people, etc. The Awake is useless. I don't see the point of it, even from a JW's point of view. Why do they need it? Please don't answer that.

Jez

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, it helps , provided that you seperate the fact from fiction. I will, even now reading it and some of the travel and naturist stuff I find interesting.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Awake is crap compared to New Scientist, Scientific American, National Geographic.
    Never read Nexus but told it is good. Does anyone know?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I agree Spectrum. I would never recommend such a dumbed down rag like the awake to anyone.

Josie

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Spectrum,

Awake is crap compared to New Scientist, Scientific American, National Geographic.

Of course you can't compare those. The only thing is scientific american isn't available in a lot of languages, and the people I am talking about have no access to it anyway.

Jez,

Come on, it is plainly obvious that they themselves don't even believe the end is coming, and if they really DO believe it, they are doing a piss poor job of preaching it, warning people, etc. ;

Sorry do not agree with you on this one. I think they believe most of it themselves.

The Awake is useless. ; I don't see the point of it, even from a JW's point of view. ; Why do they need it? ; Please don't answer

Okay, not going to anwer it then....

Get a lot of negative reactions here (maybe understandable).
    Not everything has to be that bad. I agree with bluesbrother, that some of the articles when you leave al the bible crap out of it, aren't too bad.
    I saw the difference between people reading it regulary, and people reading nothing. There was a not more general knowledge in the first group.

Witnesses even learned some people to read, with the brochure "learn to read and write". This is self interest of course, because how can people preach if they can't read, but it still is some basic education that they received.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The Awake! is merely a front magazine for the true message of death to all who do not worship the WT God.
    It's all roses and fluff in order to make it look like the JW's arn't that fucked up after all.
    Regardless, reading the Awake! for informative material is like reading an in-flight magazine. You only do it when you cannot possibly do anything else, and you certainly don't expect it to enlighten your mind.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I remember people back in the day coming to with general knowledge from the awake. It was extremely feeble with no depth and nothing more than was in that mag. They had no knowledge around the issues.

• Jez
    Jez

Ok, I will answer it myself. The Awake is a sadly successful way, to keep simple minded people, simple minded. Don't give them or the public anything too deep, or they will start to develop critical thinking skills, we will have to start to actually reference our material, KISS theory. DON'T encourage them to yearn for deep understanding!!!!!

I could read an Awake in about 10 seconds. It is set up to require only skimming. Shhhhhhh, Jez

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit