awake helps to educate people...

by DannyBloem 19 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Regardless of my last topic on non-information (non spititual information) I have to see this:

In my experience this is actually true, the awake helps people to get some general knowledge. Especially JW''s in developing countries seem to have a bit more of general information because of reading the awake then others do.

Can you agree on this one?

Too bad, that the awake will contain more article about the bible and becomes only monthly....

Danny B

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

To some degree you are right but the content is hardly academic; its mindless fluff half the time and its just so bloody boring! It might appeal to those that havent really got a thirst for knowledge but generally speaking its a load of old bollocks. DB74

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Especially JW''s in developing countries seem to have a bit more of general information because of reading the awake then others do.

No, I wouldnt say the fluff articles in awake are any better than any show on Discovery Channel, or even the nightly news.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

As a kid, I used to like (read hate less) to read the informative articles about animals, other countries and stuff like that. But as soon as it started to drift to the "push the religion" part I would stop, it was always the same anyway. As I got older, I found the articles less and less interesting...(but I was in college then, lol, guess I had other sources of info.)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Not without good reason has it been said that if a person reads AWAKE!, after sixty months he will have wasted five years of his life.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Except for the religious content (including creation "science") most of the information in Awake! is probably correct, if not exactly deep or challenging. Reading it is likely to be more informative than reading nothing at all. Think of it as an in-flight magazine for people who can't afford to fly.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

That's my Uncle Satan ^^

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

DB74,

To some degree you are right but the content is hardly academic; its mindless fluff half the time and its just so bloody boring! It might appeal to those that havent really got a thirst for knowledge but generally speaking its a load of old bollocks.

Mostly the non biblical articles are more or less correct. They are pretty much the same as the lowest level of popular science articles.
    truth, it is not academic, but I'm talking about persons that have also very little education at all.

Richie R,

No, I wouldnt say the fluff articles in awake are any better than any show on Discovery Channel, or even the nightly news

no probably not. (just a note, the quality of discovery channel goes backwards very fast lately)
    But most of the people I'm talking about do have that choice. They mostly have no tellie, and surely no satellite dish.

Lily,

As a kid, I used to like (read hate less) to read the informative articles about animals, other countries and stuff like that. But as soon as it started to drift to the "push the religion" part I would stop, it was always the same anyway. As I got older, I found the articles less and less interesting...(but I was in college then, lol, guess I had other sources of info.)
    Same for me. I prefered to read the awakes at the watchtower study then the boring watchtower. Made sure got my awake before the meeting. And yes each article has to end in such a slimy push the religion part.... DB
  • Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

DB,

The Awake! phamplet is not news, nor is it particularly informative, except to 10-year olds and below. Like the Watchtower phamplet, there is no way to check the sources Awake! writers use. And, the authors write with the intent to bend the material to suit Watchtower Society objectives, even if they do not directly mention the Bible. Finally, a person would be far better served by reading Reader's Digest. - Jim W.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I was not very fond of Awake! when I was a rabid JW believer... felt a bit like wasting my time (the Aid book was my favourite).

But thinking back, I feel it was most useful for this type of JWs. Forcing them to keep an eye on other topics, regardless of the quality of information.

Too bad this is what they dropped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit