lonely...

by aoxo 23 Replies latest social relationships

• aoxo
    aoxo

hello, i am newly dissociated and was wondering how some of you who grew up in "the truth" have started relationships. i have never dated for obvious reasons and am now 26 with no experiance and extremely shy about this whole dating process. i have tried places of interest like gyms, workout classes and even eharmony with no prevail. any suggestions???

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Welcome to the forum, aoxo ! ! !

extremely shy about this whole dating process

I hear ya.

wondering how some of you who grew up in "the truth" have started relationships

I did grow up a JW but I am definitely not the person to give anyone advice on relationships.Others here will have something helpful to say though, so I will be listening in and picking up pointers.

Tell us more about yourself, will ya?

~Merry

• Funchback
    Funchback

Welcome, aoxo.

Well, if you bombed at eharmony then there just isn't any hope for ya'!

Have you tried speed dating? Personal ads? Inmate pen-pals?

Just kidding. Good luck and welcome!

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi aoxo. That's the only thing I can offer, time and patience. Welcome

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome Aoxo,

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but what's your hurry? You've just gotten your life back, your spirituality is probably pulling you in 20 directions, you're perhaps only now starting to pursue a career in earnest. Now may not be the best time to try to get serious about a relationship.

Instead, look for friends. Just friends. Male and female.

This'll give you a chance to test-drive the new you, feel out who you are and who you want to be. And what personality types you are and aren't comfy with. Then you'll be in a better position to decide who you'd be willing to share give away your new life to. (Or maybe you'll decide on reflection that you'd rather keep it!)

Dave

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi aoxo, welcome to the forum!

Once I left home, I went out with the first guy who asked me. He lived at the same apartment complex, passed me in the hall, said hello and started talking. I thought he was a little eager, but he turned out to be harmless and we dated for 18 months. He took the risk of rejection and I took a bigger risk of going out with a stranger who could be a nut. But it worked out ok.

I'm now trying match.com. We'll see how it goes.

• JH
    JH

Welcome Aoxo

Be patient, and the right person will show up.

That's what they told me but never did happen...lol

I'm happy anyways

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I agree with Dave on this one. Settle into who you are, then you'll be shopping for a dating relationship from a confident position. If you try that during a period of transition and you are likely to change a lot on whoever you end up with.

Odds are, if you make friends with both sexes someone is GOING to become interested in you. Without you even trying to catch their eye. Now, whether it will be someone of the gender you prefer...that is an altogether iffy proposition...no guarantees.

Welcome!

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• zeroday
    zeroday

After 28 years in the borg I DA'ed myself a little over a year ago. At age 50 I haven't had a date since 1982. I know sad.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Flash money, that always helps... Seriously, take your time...your twenty-six, leaves a lot of years to establish a relationship...when it happens you'll be surprised, after you get over the shock, it won't happen because you purposley set out to do so, it'll just happen...so, in the mean time, as Dave and Auld Sole said, enjoy your freedom...come and go as you please, take in a movie...get out and circulate, you'll meet someone, trust me...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit