Take Back Your Life: Chapter 2: Seduction and Recruitment

by Lady Lee 33 Replies latest members private

• atypical
    atypical

Wow, Lady Lee this info blew me away. Especially the contract part. I can't believe how much I identify with that information, and how many witnesses faces flashed in my minds who specifically apply. I personally love the point that everything good that happens is because of the group or leader, and everything bad that happens is somehow my fault. I have tried to make that point to my family about the organization. I think info like that is precious because no witness can call it apostate since it can apply to any group, so it has a better chance of getting a witness' attention.

As far as the scientology contract, is that for real? Seriously? It's admirable that they are up front about it, but who in their right mind would sign something like that? Would it ever hold up in court?

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

thanks lee - great info. as usual....

• Scully
    Scully
    I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS CONTRACT AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS AND CONSEQUENCES. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SPIRITUAL ASSISTANCE UNLESS I SIGN THIS CONTRACT. WHILE IT IS UNLIKELY THAT I WILL EVER BE IN A CONDITION WHERE PSYCHIATRIC INTERVENTION MAY BE DEEMED AN OPTION, I HEREWITH REAFFIRM THAT IN SUCH AN EVENT I WISH TO RECEIVE ONLY SCIENTOLOGY SPIRITUAL ASSISTANCE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE INTROSPECTION RUNDOWN, AND THAT THIS CHOICE IS AN INDEPENDENT EXERCISE OF MY OWN FREE WILL. I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING BELOW, I AM FOREVER GIVING UP MY RIGHT TO SUE THE CHURCH, ITS STAFF AND ANY OF THE RELEASEES NAMED IN THE GENERAL RELEASE I SIGNED, FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE SUFFERED IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH SCIENTOLOGY RELIGIOUS SERVICES OR SPIRITUAL ASSISTANCE.

In the last line, they acknowledge that there is a risk of injury and damage connected with Scientology Religious Services or Spiritual assistance, and yet, because the person entered into this position of their "own free will", they expect them to give up the right to sue the church.

I guess it's like sky-diving and bungee jumping.... you waive your right to sue because you are choosing to take the risk.

Interesting that the contract does not mention negligence on the part of the senior practitioners of Scientology for injury or damages.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Interesting that the contract does not mention negligence on the part of the senior practitioners of Scientology for injury or damages

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    • Dependency (the desire to belong, lack of self-confidence)
    • Unassertiveness (inability to say no or express criticism or doubt)
    • Gullibility (impaired capacity to question crotically what one is told, observes, thinks, etc.)
    • Low tolerance for ambiguity (need for absolute answers, impatience to obtain answers)
    • Culteral dissillusionment (alienation, dissatisfaction with the status quo)
    • Naïve idealism
    • Desire for spiritual meaning
    • Susceptibility to trancelike states (in some cases, perhaps , because of prior hallucinogenic experiences)
    • Ignorance of the [sic] how groups can manipulate individuals

I'd like to add to the idea of dependency -- the desire to please. I think it's tied in with idealism in a sense, in that there is this feeling that if we follow the rules, do it right, get the good grade we will achieve nirvana (which in many cases is approval from a parental figure).

Also I'd like to point out that 'suspceptibility to trancelike states' is very often a sign of abuse. The term for this is called dissociation. (Defintion: A psychological defense mechanism in which specific, anxiety-provoking thoughts, emotions, or physical sensations are separated from the rest of the psyche.)

Ever stared at something without thinking anything at all? That's dissocation. Many victims, particularly sexual abuse victims report this state; some report feeling so separated from their rape that they see what is happening as if they floated above and were looking down from the ceiling.

I've been out of therapy for 15 years and yet even now I'll get triggered over something (that's a whole other topic) and I find myself going numb, without thought or feeling and while in that state I'm very open to what others say to me. Not to say that I am able to be programmed, but to one coming out of a dysfunctional home, living in nonstop dissociative state (i.e., separated from feelings), yearning for something better (idealism) mixed with a strong desire to please -- and then meeting up with a sect like Jehovah's Witnesses which offer simple solutions to people's pain.

Well it's no wonder such ones are sucked in.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks for that Lady Lee, great post.

Anyone thinking of joining the jws or any other cult should read that first.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Chris

It has been my experience that a lot of JWs were emotionally and physically and some sexually abused in their childhoods. This is from those who joiuned as adults. I always found it very surprising. I think the whole issue of gravitating to what is familiar is very applicable in this case even when that familiar feeling stems from various forms of abuse.

One point about dissociation. Dissociation is a normal function of the brain. It is something that everyone does. Daydreaming is a form of dissociation. When abuse enters the picture the need to dissociate becomes a survival mechanism.

I believe that dissociation is actually manipulated by cults to create the cult personality.

I should be posting the next in the series later today.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    One point about dissociation. Dissociation is a normal function of the brain. It is something that everyone does. Daydreaming is a form of dissociation. When abuse enters the picture the need to dissociate becomes a survival mechanism

Yes, good point. Thanks for making that distinction that I did not.

Okay, I've written and re-written a post about dissociation but it's just not coming out. I'm fighting a virus today and that's my excuse.

I'll try again tomorrow.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The next chapter of this discussion is at Take Back Your Life: Chapter 3: Understanding Thought Reform Part 1

Chris. Part 2 of Chapter 3 discusses dissociation. I think we should find it interesting. I hope to have it posted tomorrow.

• Think
    Think

LadyLee ! Excelent Contract example !!! BRAVO !!!

Keep up the good work !

You are true unique person and your work show how much you care for others.

We love you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit