Do JW's consider Jesus to be their saviour?

by Bumble Bee 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

This coming from a person raised "in the truth".

Recently I shared a scripture with my sister - she is ill and will have to have some pretty serious surgery. I shared Isa 53:4,5 with her. (This is the NIV version for those that don't have a bible handy.)

Surely he took up our infirmities
    and carried our sorrows,
    yet we considered him stricken by God,
    smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

This set off a big row, and I'm now being considered apostate by them, by putting my faith in Jesus instead of Jehovah.

Did I mis apply this scripture on a JW point of view? (I've been away from the meetings for over 10 years now, and I'm not sure anymore what they believe or don't believe.)

Any light shed on this would be appreciated.

BB

• Honesty
    Honesty
    This set off a big row, and I'm now being considered apostate by them, by putting my faith in Jesus instead of Jehovah.

I'm an apostate for the same reason. Shunned by my children, JW friends and ex-spouse (JW loyalist).

The JW's deny Christ with their yearly memorial celebration. They are glad He died but not glad for the reason He died.

The scriptures are very clear as to whom we are to put faith in. The WTBT$ spins and distorts everything about Jesus. Their twisting of Romans 6:7 puts the JW's in the position of denying Jesus' sacrifice because they teach that when you die your sins are absolved.

The JW's do not need Jesus to free them from sin. They have the Faithful Discreet Slave and that's all that matters.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    The JW's do not need Jesus to free them from sin. They have the Faithful Discreet Slave and that's all that matters.

Don't forget their meeting attendance and door to door work.

Where is the scripture that says we are not saved by our works?

BB

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The JW's deny Christ with their yearly memorial celebration. They are glad He died but not glad for the reason He died.

The WTS teaches that "do this in remembrance of me" is meant only for a select few and not for mankind (all Christians) in general. This is not a clear teaching (at least it wasn't for me) to the average JW. I had been one for over 20 years when THAT hit my brain! Maybe I'm just a slow learner. At any rate, the act of getting all dressed up and then sitting in a KH and praying that either me or my six little curious kiddies wouldn't play "spill the wine" (remember that song?) or let the crackers (giggle) slide off the plate in front of all onlookers----just didn't seem to match up with the proper solemnity or reverance I felt in my former Pagan Church with the cross in it.

Being EVER-SO-CAREFUL not to offend Jesus, we only, as you said, got together to talk about his death, but then a few days later, on THE most glorious day of ALL--- the day of his resurrection and victory over death---we totally IGNORED him and it, as per WTS teachings! We weren't allowed to participate---only watch the ritual of passing the emblems every year. I wish now that I had passed on ever believing the WTS rubbish entirely.

Soooo, the question IS---would celebrating the day of his resurrection offend Jesus? Did the holy spirit whisper to the FDS/GB/whomever-was-listening that heads would roll if we "mentioned" this event on THE day?? Well, no, we were told it was a Pagan celebration honoring some Goddess of Spring...so it was to be avoided at all costs. Like our lives....Oddly enough,the resurrection of Christ was not a PAGAN BELIEF (who knew?)....it was a reality that (TRUE) Christianity is based on! BUT---we did what we were told, by an evil and unchristian cult, and turned our backs on Jesus every opportunity we got.

True.Now that we know and realize that this lofty group are UNfaithful and INdiscreet, we are told there is nowhere ELSE to go! We're supposed to "stick it out" and takes yer chances with the inhuman WTS who have never gotten ONE prediction right in it's entire history! Frankly, I'd rather give up my family and 30 years of JW friendships and go it alone, than follow this cult any longer.....oh, yeah....I did just that.

Annie

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm now being considered apostate by them, by putting my faith in Jesus instead of Jehovah

The Israelites would have stoned you had you put faith in someone other than Jehovah wouldn't they have? Do you not believe he is the same as the one you just said you switched your worship to? I'm confused.

The scripture you quoted in Isa. had god in it too didn't it? Wasn't it HIS plan to sacrifice his only son? Didn't the son do this in obeidience to the father? If it was jesus fathers idea to do what he did, why do you want to give ALL credit to Jesus and not his dad? You've traded one god for another and you don't see it......yet you believe they are the same individual the way I see it. Maybe you and your sister should have a comparison of how many scriptures you can find to see who can find the most as regards to WHO we should WORSHIP.....Jesus or his papa. I'll bet your sis would win.

Gumby

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Gumby,

I think I worded that wrong. That is not what I'm doing - it's what my sister thinks I'm doing. Replacing Jesus with God. She was putting all the emphasis on Jehovah being the one to "heal" her, the only one to put her faith in. I told her it was God, through His Son, she was leaving Jesus out completely.

It's sometimes hard to be perfectly clear here, and without quoting the entire conversation, something got left out.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

BB

• gumby
    gumby

BB,

It's sometimes hard to be perfectly clear here, and without quoting the entire conversation, something got left out.

Oh how true!

Sorry if I read you wrong......here's a peace offering

Gumby

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

No problem,

I'm glad you brought that point out, others might have been thinking it, but not brought it up! I should re-read my posts sometimes before I submit them.

No peace offering needed, but I will take the flower! Girls love flowers!

BB

• Kaput
    Kaput

Any emphasis placed on Jesus as "Savior" will meet with raised eyebrows among JWs. If there is no inclusion of Jehovah in your expression, the "hackles go up". The following is the "party line" as to who the "Savior" is for JWs from Insight on the Scriptures, Vol.2, pg. 873:

Along with his role as Savior, Jehovah is also the "Repurchaser"." (Isa 49:26; 60:16) In the past he redeemed his people Israel from captivity. In delivering Christians from sin's bondage, he does the repurchasing through his Son Jesus Christ (1Jo 4:14), Jehovah's provision for salvation, who is therefore exalted as "Chief Agent and Savior." (Ac 5:31) Accordingly, Jesus Christ can rightly be called "our Savior," even though he performs the salvation as the agent of Jehovah. (Tit 1:4; 2Pe 1:11) The name Jesus, given to God's Son by angelic direction, means "Jehovah Is Salvation," for, said the angel, "he will save his people from their sins." (Mt 1:21; Lu 1:31) This name points out that Jehovah is the Source of salvation, accomplished through Jesus. For this reason, we find the Father and the Son spoken of together in connection with salvation. --- Tit 2:11-13; 3:4-6.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    This name points out that Jehovah is the Source of salvation, accomplished through Jesus. For this reason, we find the Father and the Son spoken of together in connection with salvation.

Jesus does all the dirty work, suffers hardships during his ministry and then suffers an excruciatingly horrible death.....and gets demoted when all is said and done.

Way ta GO, Witchtower!

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit