WTS view of Red Cross, etc

by blindersoff 17 Replies latest jw friends

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/105666/1.ashx

"This is probably the one organization you will see that will see this project to the end," Farrow said.
    (Seems somewhat arrogant).

Jehovah's Witnesses who can't drive to Southeast Texas donate money to help the cause, Avila said, which is used to buy supplies and food. Also, several nonprofit groups, like the Red Cross, have donated frozen and canned foods.
    w51 11/1 pp. 643-644 Charity in Christendom ***

On such occasions or when flood, fire, earthquake or windstorm make many homeless and rob others of life or limb, as surely as the press is there to report it, so will other familiar figures turn up. The community chest will be there, the Red Cross with its blood bank will be there, priests fully outfitted with pious face and last rites will be there and politicians will rush back from a Florida vacation so that they can be there—all to offer charitable help.

But let the disaster be on a smaller scale where the returns in publicity are not so promising; then the widely acclaimed charitable organizations do not flock to the scene. It is clear that they choose the publicized tragedies, that their giving may be publicized along with the event. The motive of attention and credit perches plainly on their every "good deed". Contributors to the community chest receive a red feather; to the Red Cross, a button;

I have worked with some of the people mentioned in the article. How about some letters going out to this reporter at the Texas newspaper? I can furnish his email address

B

• skyman
    skyman

I lived in a small town that had some bad floods the Watchtower was not here but the Red Cross was and so was Fema. G## D### hypoctites

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Where's the WTS when there is a disaster? or like they say even a small one. They are just as guilty if not more so for not helping with all their $$$$$$. They talk a good game though, saying how they do a life saving work by their preaching work. I never seen anyone who is in real need eat a Watchtower magazine? Then they only help witnesses FIRST., then they give the leftovers to others or hospitals as seen in the Japan earthquake vidio ( I forgot the title, I think it was Whole Association of brothers or something like that ). So I guess they don't care if the rest of the people were dying right next door to a witness. My brother comes first.

• ferret
    ferret

The WT is always jealous of the Red Cross. The Red Cross is always there to help all in need without asking their religious affiliation, without loking for repayment.The WT could learn a lesson from the Red Cross. However we know they are too proud and haughty for that.

• blondie
    blondie

This article was written over 50 years ago. The WTS had a nasty attitude towards these groups. They now try to be more diplomatic. JWs can even accept help from the RC but cannot donate blood or money to them.

I noticed that that article is not indexed under Red Cross on the CD.

yb89 pp. 63-64 Countries Under Ban ***
    But Jehovah God provided. News about their plight was reported to the brothers in South Africa, who quickly arranged for relief supplies—83 tons of food and clothing. With the help of the Red Cross, the supplies were promptly delivered to our brothers.

yb96 p. 169 Mozambique ***
    Mozambican Witnesses of Jehovah were now inundating the refugee camps in Malawi. The Malawian government received them as refugees of war. The International Red Cross provided assistance, bringing supplies to relieve the discomfort and difficulties caused by the inclemency of the open-air camps.

yb86 p. 239 Nigeria ***
    Relief supplies were being sent in from the brothers in the British Isles and Ireland, using facilities of the International Red Cross and other voluntary charitable organizations interested in flying in relief for war victims.
  • blindersoff
    blindersoff

* g02 8/22 p. 28 Watching the World ***

Red Cross Called to Task

Shortly following the September 11 attacks, the American Red Cross was on the scene, soliciting donations of cash and blood. Some $850 million in cash was given, and 400,000 units of blood collected. While collections were quick, disbursements were not. "The American Red Cross was slow to distribute relief funds to the families affected by the attacks," states The Washington Times. "Relief funds were being used for programs unrelated to September 11," and a large share was slated for "long-term needs, such as [a] blood-freezing program, counseling, and future attacks." With little need for the blood collected and its 42-day shelf life over, the blood "is useless and must be burned," the article says. The news media reported that the Red Cross board, beset by heavy criticism, forced out its president and announced at the end of January 2002 that 90 percent of the funds gathered will go to victims of the disaster by September 11, 2002.

WTS does not need to worry about being called to task since the donations can't be earmarked and no figures are given.

B

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As Blondie (nice new avatar) said, do not think that one comment made 54 years ago can be said to be a representative view of the Red Cross. .. I am sure that if any reporter contacted Brooklyn today for a comment, he would receive something far more polite.

As for donations? I am sure that witnesses are not barred from donating money to them. It would be called a "personal matter" . Of course we know that charitable giving of all kinds is rather discouraged so that there is all the more for the good old Worldwide Work Fund. I suppose it is a competing charity..

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Can the Watchtower Society match a 4 Star rating and provide a financial statement? Don't hold your breath! http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3277.htm

American Red Cross
    alt
    alt
    Together, we can save a life Washington, DC 20013
    alt
    RATINGS
    OVERALL RATING :
    ( 60.36 )
    ORGANIZATIONAL EFFICIENCY
    Program Expenses91.1%
    Administration Expenses5.4%
    Fundraising Expenses3.5%
    Fundraising Efficiency$0.18
    EFFICIENCY RATING :
    (36.61)
    alt
    ORGANIZATIONAL CAPACITY
    Primary Revenue Growth4.2%
    Program Expenses Growth5.8%
    Working Capital Ratio (years)0.56
    CAPACITY RATING :
    (23.75)
    PEER ANALYSIS
    Charity NameOverall
    Score
    Overall
    Rating
    American Red Cross60.36
    Gifts In Kind International62.46
    Habitat for Humanity International38.90
    Volunteers of America61.55
    America's Second Harvest55.78
    INCOME STATEMENT :FYE 06/2004
    Revenue
    Primary Revenue$2,928,879,914
    Other Revenue$136,661,442
    Total Revenue:$3,065,541,356
    Expenses
    Program Expenses$2,891,973,863
    Administration Expenses$170,345,765
    Fundraising Expenses$111,178,153
    Total Functional Expenses:$3,173,497,781
    Payments to Affiliates$0
    Excess (or Deficit) for the Year$-107,956,425
    Net Assets :$2,200,981,358
    MISSION
    Founded in 1881, the American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors in emergencies. Each year, in communities large and small, victims of some 70,000 disasters turn to the nearly one million volunteers and 35,000 employees of the Red Cross. Through almost 900 locally supported chapters, more than 15 million people gain the skills they need to prepare for and respond to emergencies in their homes, communities and world. Some four million people give blood through the Red Cross, making it the largest supplier of blood and blood products in the United States. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, a global network of 181 national societies, the Red Cross helps restore hope and dignity to the world's most vulnerable people.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Red cross and local church helped me. The WT in my area did not even help Kingdom Halls.

one was closed for quite a while. brothers were attending other KH meetings and it took them months to do repairs

• DannyHaszard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit