Some questions about Michael Jackson

by Lady Lee 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I don't know what was up with me this morning. I was woken up with a tractor outside my window so I haven't slept well. But while waiting for this tractor to disappear I was doing some thinking.

Some people have heard of body dysmorphic disorder. It is occurs when a person believes their body is different than the way other people see it. While we may see a painfully thin (anorexic) body the person with the disorder sees nothing but fat. Other sufferers undergo dozens of surgeries to try to get their outside to match the image of the inside.

It has been suggested (by Oprah) that Michael Jackson might suffer from this disorder, hence all the facial surgeries.

We also know that as a young child he was pretty famous for singing with his brothers in the Jackson Five. AND he was a famous celebrety throughout his teens. His mother was a JW and Michael went to meetings and even door to door.

This was the pre-1975 days when JWs were told to leave everything behind because the end was coming so soon.

So here we have a kid who is riding the crest of the wave. People are screaming and yelling for him. He is selling millions of albums. He is a millionaire many times over.

What kinds of pressure would have been on him. Going to meetings and hearing them say not to be part of this world, the end is close, buy out the time.... all this crap he hears at the meeting. And he is on the top of his wave and all the time being condemned for his lifestyle. They wouldn't have had to even have those little back room chats with him. Just the literature and the talks would have created such a wide difference between what he was doing and what he was hearing he should be doing.

Let's add a couple of more things into the mix. There is practically no where this teen/young man could go without being mobbed. Screaming adoring fans willing to rip the clothes off your back kinds of faces that won't allow any kind of "normal" life. Heck the idea of changing the way you look would be a bonus if you could walk down the street un-noticed.

So here is a young man, who knows the way he looks draws attention. Tons of it. He know that when he goes to meetings his religion condemns the way he looks, his style of dress, his choice of music to play. In fact they condemn just about everything he does.

I think it would be an easy step to entertain the belief that if he changed the outside maybe he would be OK. (and don't we all know that the WTS is far more interested in the outside than what is on the inside).

And since the outside was never the problem (well maybe a bit but not the main part) it almost seems natural that he would develop body dysmorphic disorder.

OK I wrote the above and then went to find some info. Some info about BDD:

Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (BDD) is listed in the DSM-IV under somatization disorders, but clinically, it seems to have similarities to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

• Golf
  • IronClaw
    IronClaw
    (and don't we all know that the WTS is far more interested in the outside than what is on the inside).

I'd only have to wonder how much $$$$$ Micheal may have "Donated" over the years????

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Michael Jackson going Muslim and Building a Mosque?

Michael Jackson Islam

Last paragraph here:

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/?p=204&cp=1

Sources close to Michael Jackson denied the rumours that he was planning to donate money for the building of this mosque according the Bahrain based Gulf Daily News. In the past Michael Jackson donated huge amounts of money for building Watchtower Properties.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Yes, I beleive that it is possible that MJ has this disorder. Some people are emotionally fragil and don't hold up well to the stress of high expectations. I would say that in MJ's case something definately went haywire.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Interesting question, one I hadn't thought of. It's possible, certainly, given his dramatic attempts to change his appearance.

He bears only a little resemblance to the ppl I treated with that disorder--of course, most of them had a coexisting eating disorder with MJ doesn't seem to have--big difference. MJ always struck me as more motivated by his hatred of his dad and the WTS. He was physically and emotionally abused by his dad. His biographies (if true) indicate much of his actions are driven by his desire to thumb his nose at his dad and his dad's religion. Supposedly that's why he started grabbing his crotch when dancing, why he did Thriller, why he started wearing flamboyant clothes and makeup, etc. Of course we'll never know for sure.

The interviews I've seen of him seem to be consistent with rebellion. He seems to want to do shocking things just to p/o anyone who attempts to place limits upon him. He does the opposite of what he's told. He was like that in the courtroom too. Passive-aggressive rebellion--faking the illnesses, showing up to court late, and not wearing appropriate clothes.

But that's just me. It would be hard for me to acknowledge MJ having Body Dysmorphic Disorder, to be honest. Then I'd feel obligated to have sympathy for him, and I couldn't stomach that !! PS-I visited your web for the 1st time today. Very forthright. What is a Social Therapist?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    What is a Social Therapist?

The work is identical to a Social Worker but it is a 3 yr college professional program while the Social worker is a University degree.

I had the advantage of knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I graduated so all my profs both in college and university allowed me to specialize in all of my course work (well when that was possible) You'd be surprised how resourceful I could get with some of my courses. Many of the articles on my website were term papers.

Regarding MJ, I think he truly is a product of a sick family and a sick religion. We see here the damage that a dysfunctional family combined with a sick religion can to to someone.

Feel sorry for him? I had no money. No support. Nothing. And I got the help I needed so I didn't pass the crap down to my children. Whatever he went through, he had the $$$ and the opportunity to heal of harm. It's a choice. Eventually we all have to grow up. Well I guess that can be a choise too for some people.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

oops forgot something

PS-I visited your web for the 1st time today. Very forthright.

Thanks I do try

• rebel8
    rebel8

You are definitely lucky to have had a clear career path decided upon first!!

Wow, once again I feel NY is way behind the times. Almost anywhere here in the states you can be a licensed Social Worker with a 4 yr college degree, and you can do it in 3. (Though you can't go into private practice or be an independent psychotherapist.) NY requires a Master's Degree, either a 4 yr degree plus 2 yrs graduate work, or if you're lucky to have your undergrad degree in SW and gain admittance into an advanced standing program, you can do your 4 yr degree plus 1 yr graduate. Meanwhile the program has too much unneccessary info--tons of repetitive classes on social policy and discrimination, discussing the same thing over and over a la brainwashing. A few classes on those topics would be enough. That would save yrs of time!

Your website is pretty too--very elegant.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

In Quebec where I was working just about anyone can have a private practice. You just can't say you are something you arte not. I can't say I am a social worker even though the training and even the textbooks are the same. I also can't get insurance so that is a huge issue. I had to follow the ethics very carefully. (I used the one for social workers)

Meanwhile the program has too much unneccessary info--tons of repetitive classes on social policy and discrimination, discussing the same thing over and over a la brainwashing. A few classes on those topics would be enough. That would save yrs of time!

That is one reason I didn't want to go to the BA in SocWrk. The college programmed focused more on individual counseling. The BA in Applied Social Science leaned further on group work. They were a nice balance with each other

Your website is pretty too--very elegant.

Thanks I designed it myself and even created all the images except for the Welcome one. That is the older version. I have a newer one I need to fix before I put it up.It's a bit more user friendly and won't make you go back and forth to the main page/index to get to the next page.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit