No more Silverdome...

by Confession 13 Replies latest social current

• Confession
    Confession

An old JW friend just e-mailed this to me...

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business-1/1136560817146830.xml?sanews?BUG&coll=9

Group to set TheDow bustling

Friday, January 06, 2006 PAUL WYCHE THE SAGINAW NEWS A tourism deal to bring thousands of religious sojourners -- and their dollars -- to Saginaw this summer is a notable economic boost, county officials say. The Convention & Visitors Bureau and administrators at TheDow Event Center have inked a contract with Jehovah's Witnesses to host their three-day "Deliverance at Hand" district convention at the arena. Nearly 15,000 people will attend the three consecutive weekend gatherings: Friday through Sunday, July 28-30; Aug. 4-6; and Aug. 11-13.

Advertisement

Money spent at hotels, restaurants, service stations and the like should generate well over $1 million for the economy, said Zane Collings, general manager at TheDow. "I've worked with (Jehovah's Witnesses) before in New Haven, Conn., and Reading, Pa., and it's really great for the community," he said. "They bring an army of people with them and handle pretty much everything themselves. "This works out well because the summer is usually a slow time for us, and for them, they get a reasonable price for a nonprofit (organization)." Norman Gardner, contract representative for Jehovah's Witnesses, said planners at the group's New York headquarters have kept an eye on Saginaw since their deal fell through in 2001. At that time, county leaders were in the midst of a tax campaign to save TheDow, formerly the Saginaw Civic Center. Convention & Visitors Bureau leaders couldn't guarantee the center's availability, so several events canceled, including the Witnesses' booking. "We were ready to come back then, but they had their millage to attend to," Gardner said. "We've toured TheDow and will be doing so over the next several weeks." Jehovah's Witnesses hosted a series of summer conventions in Toledo last year, and before that spent nearly 30 years meeting at the Pontiac Silverdome. Besides TheDow's parking ramp, Collings said auto dealer and Saginaw Spirit hockey team owner Dick Garber is donating parking space behind his RightWay used car lot; the city of Saginaw will allow vehicles to assemble at a lot just over the Johnson Street bridge; and the Saginaw School District will permit conventioneers to park at the Saginaw Arts and Sciences Academy, 200 Congress. Collings said the Witnesses may sign on for additional summer assemblies in 2007 and 2008. "From my experience with Jehovah's Witnesses in other cities, they bring in millions," Collins said. "We don't know what the exact economic impact will be yet, but there will definitely be one." v Paul Wyche covers business for The Saginaw News. You may reach him at 776-9674.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Nice. JW's actually doing something for the community for a change. Albeit inadvertantly.

Dave

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

What the....

I thought they were all heading down to Toledo?!

meagan

• blondie
    blondie

I heard that the venue in Toledo was the pits last year. The WTS is routinely rebooking conventions at sites that are a little on the weathered side and cheaper, venues desperate for events. The WTS has to save money some how. Cutting the Awake down to one issue a month, paperback bibles, and cutting the Bethel family by 1,000 people won't hack it.

Blondie

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hey..I went to the silverdome for 25 years and went to Toledo last year..then promptly dropped out...Both places were uncomfortable. I would make my 3 children sit through all 4 days...Now only 3 days long. I won't be going if they put it across the street from me!!!!!

• Confession
    Confession

This past Summer's is the first District Convention I've ever missed in my life. Used to be at Tiger Stadium when I was little. Then a few scattered locales (Green Bay, WS, Grand Rapids, MI, Jackson, MI.) Then finally at the Pontiac Silverdome from 1978 on. Huge venue; usually 35,000 to 40,000 in attendance. No air conditioning.

The new location sounds like it will be much preferable. But for some reason I'm not the least sad knowing I'll never find out for myself.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I loved the article. In the Watchtower there are always quotes about how much people love the witnesses having conventions because they as so lovely. This article didnt mention that at all, it kept saying how much money the JWs bring to the economy. LOL

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

To: star more Re:silverdome star do you remember when thuirsdays was a half a day and we would go out in F.S in pontiac.

• juni
    juni

I agree w/you JWfacts. They must not realize that the faithful bring their meals and don't go far from the assembly site. Again money is at issue. Juni

• Jourles
    Jourles
    donating parking space behind his RightWay used car lot; the city of Saginaw will allow vehicles to assemble at a lot just over the Johnson Street bridge; and the Saginaw School District will permit conventioneers to park at the Saginaw Arts and Sciences Academy, 200 Congress.

Drats! They won't be able to collect money for parking tickets! What's this world coming to?

Thank dog I won't have to find out what The Dow is like this year - neither will my wife. She doesn't like any of the venues that are held for MI conventioneers. She usually goes out of state to visit her family instead - good for her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit