A Search for Truth?

by Rooster 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rooster
    Rooster

A Search for Truth

C. T. Russell was born in the United States, in Allegheny (now part of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, on February 16, 1852. He was the second son of Joseph L. and Ann Eliza (Birney) Russell, who were Presbyterians of Scottish-Irish descent. Charles’ mother died when he was only nine years old, but from an early age, Charles was influenced by both of his religiously-minded parents. As a later associate of C. T. Russell put it, "they trained the small twig; and it grew in the direction of the Lord." Although brought up as a Presbyterian, Charles eventually joined the Congregational Church because he preferred its views.

Young Charles was evidently quite a businessman. At just 11 years of age, he became a partner with his father in a thriving men’s clothing store. Charles enlarged the business, eventually operating a number of different stores himself. Although things went well for him in business, spiritually he was very troubled. Why was this?

Charles’ parents sincerely believed the creeds of Christendom’s churches and brought him up to accept them too. Young Charles was thus taught that God is love, yet that he had created men inherently immortal and had provided a fiery place in which he would eternally torment all except those who had been predestined to be saved. Such an idea repulsed the honest heart of teenage Charles. He reasoned: "A God that would use his power to create human beings whom he foreknew and predestinated should be eternally tormented, could be neither wise, just nor loving. His standard would be lower than that of many men."

But young Russell was no atheist; he simply could not accept the commonly understood teachings of the churches. He explained: "Gradually I was led to see that though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God’s Word." Indeed, in the creeds of the churches, "elements of truth" were buried under a morass of pagan teachings that had infiltrated tainted Christianity during the centuries-long apostasy. Turning away from church creeds and searching for truth, Russell examined some leading Oriental religions, only to find these unsatisfying.

Is this not were the WTBTS sect is today! Their "doctrines of men", rules and writings that go beyond the scriptures.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Is this not were the WTBTS sect is today! Their "doctrines of men", rules and writings that go beyond the scriptures.

Yes, it certainly seems so. But so what? since " those in search of truth" can pretty much uncover and conclude that the Bible writers themselves stole from many "pagan" sources and myth. For a Christian to make such accusations of the Witnesses, is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

It can be wise to place our own cherished beliefs under the spot light.

j

• Rooster
    Rooster
    Yes, it certainly seems so. But so what? since " those in search of truth" can pretty much uncover and conclude that the Bible writers themselves stole from many "pagan" sources and myth. For a Christian to make such accusations of the Witnesses, is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

It can be wise to place our own cherished beliefs under the spot light.

I do not believe that I asked a question!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Look at the title of your thread and say that.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

LMAO @ you two

James, still relentlessly making Christians uncomfortable every chance you get? tsk, tsk.

GBL

• Rooster
    Rooster

Look at the title of your thread and say that.

;

I can't read!

• heathen
    heathen

They may have gotten rid of alot of the pagan eliments of christianity but they are still guilty of heresy and false prophesy . It's like which is worse ? How many times did Russell say himself that christ would return on a certain date and bring the kingdom rule to earth ? They had to give up on that and go with invisibility because it sold magazines probly. From what I hear he also used pyramidology in his calculations , now I'm quite certain that's pagan .

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Agree with you Heathen. Russell et all discarded a lot of paganised teachings that are not in scripture, but at the same time kinda swapped them for a lot of speculative, presumptous prophesying, chronology and replacement theology.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    James, still relentlessly making Christians uncomfortable every chance you get? tsk, tsk.

GBL,

Actually, I stay out of many Christian threads; because of not desiring to make a TOTAL nuisance of myself (though the fool often goes where angels fear to thread). That said, when I sense that the thread is honestly and sincerely inquiring into truth, and so is hopefully open to comment, I usually jump right in and cut to the chase. Often times, I am wrong. Such as this thread with the grand title: A Search For Truth?, so far, doesn't seems to be the actual intent of the author. My wrong; and no offence meant dear Rooster.

Often religious folks, though kind and wonderful people, do not usually want their cherished beliefs and gods to undergo too much scrutiny. In my experience though, actual truth (is there any other kind?) is discovered only via the most honest, radical, thorough, open and rigorous examination.

Truth, demands nothing less.

j

• Rooster
    Rooster

I spent most of my life as an active member of the WTBTS. My father was also raised a member. I will be 45 years old this year. I am saddened that it took me so long to wake up from the hypnotic state that I was in! So @ this time in my life I am disgruntled at the sect that so consumed my life. I am happy that I did finally wake up.. To say that bible writers stole from others I can not comment on. Anyway the point I was make is that the WTBTS has become what they were running from to start with..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit