Your childhood meals.

by greendawn 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slugga
    slugga

I know of one (Ex)brother who had an alcoholic SP step dad whose mother used to feed him cakes made of flour and water because she had no money to feed them thanks to his loser step dad who'd spend what little money the family had on booze This wasn't in some poverty stricken African country, this was in a well off area in Kent in the UK Matt

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have good memories. I particularly remember the shepard's pies, steak and kidney pies and roast lamb our mother used to make.

Those were 100% home made eg the potato used in the shepard's pie was real not made from instant mash potato so they were much better than the commercial varieties.

• under74
    under74

When we had the money...it was macaroni and cheese (from the box) and potato salad. Not a big fan of mac & cheese now but get cravings now and then. Oh, ramen as well....still eat it from time to time. Potato salad (my grandmother's recipe) still rules. I could eat it anytime...never get tired of it.

Slugga- there were a couple times that's all my mom had for us--flour and water .....it's called "hard tack" or "sailor's food" My mom was a housewife till I was 8 then my parents got divorced and my dad ran off refusing to pay child support. So, there wasn't any income for a while. Hard tack is the worst....but I also remember the oatmeal thinned out by water to feed 5 kids. Oh, and this was in the US....the richest country on earth I hear.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Liver & Onions Yum yum.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Usually when we weresick, she'd get us donuts for breakfast and there'd be chicken noodle soup and 7-up or hot lemonade, depending on the illness.

BUT......when I was anemic at age 10, the doc ordered that my Mom should serve me liver every day.....liver that had been slapped in a skillet, flipped and slid onto my plate still bloody. I liked liver before this occurred........I liked liver later in life.......I didn't like liver served that way. Years later, after I had married and we were on the other side of the world, I recv'd a letter from my Mom about the pedestal oak dining table that they'd cut down into a coffee table.....it seems that when they turned it over......thousands of miniscule petrified pieces of liver fell off the supporting boards beneath the table top. I was very glad I was on the other side of the globe when that happened.

Frannie

• force
    force

my mum makes some scrummy meals. she does a wicked chinese stir fry and every saturday night we have a buffet - chicken, ham, pasta in mayonaise with tuna, jacket potatoes, different cheeses and biscuits, grapes, and lots of different cakes and treats.

when i am ill i get to eat what i feel like - ice cream, orange juice, milkshakes or whatever i fancy. this means when i am ill i extend it for a couple of days hehehe

• slugga
    slugga
    Liver & Onions Yum yum.

GROSS!!!

lol

Pet hate of mine was bros / sis that would turn up at the hall and sit next to you with GARLIC BREATH!

Elders on JC's should all chomp galic before they start, they'd get repentance from me everytime provided they let me out!

Matt

• nilfun
    nilfun

When we had it good, we had it good.

I can remember eating homemade bread still warm from the oven, dripping with melted butter. Hot tortillas made from scratch, w/refried beans -- fantastic. Corn fritters, pan-fried rainbow trout served up on a po' boy w/mustard. Postum and Cream of Wheat, homemade enchiladas... I remember getting light foods when ill, like dry toast or saltines w/7up, and a yummy soup with a few red beans in it. Dad rarely cooked, but I do have a fond memory of him heating up some milk in a pan, then pouring the warm milk over some wheatpuffs, which we ate for breakfast.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Tomato soup when we were sick. Yum Yum. Or cream of chicken,. Lots of crackers.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother is a good cook but some of the things she would make us eat were just plain nasty - like yellow squash pan sauted with onions to which she added sugar - always made me puke . about 2 years ago my kids stayed with my parents for a few weeks and they told me that my mother made them eat the dreaded squash - they threw up too.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit