Your childhood meals.

by greendawn 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pratt1
    pratt1

My mom isn't the best cook, probably because she was rushing to get to a meeting or field service or a bible study.

She does have some really good dishes, Fried Chicken, Macoroni salad, Mac and cheese, collard greens and a favorite of mine "Chittlings" - you southerners know what that is.

For dessert, her apple cobbler is renowned with in the NY dub circle.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

My dad liked to cook, but it was usually just the meat portion of the meal, and it was always really well done, I mean, dry, dry, dry meat. We almost always had meat, potatoes and a veg. Not much variations in the meals. It didn't matter if you didn't like something, you had to eat it. I always hated peas - and tried to do everything to avoid eating them. I remember sitting at the table for a long time after everyone else was done until I ate those dreaded peas. I found out later in life that I acutally have a food allergy with peas.

My mom really didn't like to cook, and when I was old enough I did quite a lot of it. It was really hard after I got married to cook for two people instead of six. In the beginning we'd have leftovers for days! lol

BB

• luna2
    luna2

My mother was and is an excellent cook but, when I was a young child, money was very tight and we would often have things like hamburger gravy on toast (ground beef in a white sauce..blech), chicken à la king (chunks of chicken and vegetables in a white sauce over rice or noodles), liver (which was cheap then) with bacon and onions, or her home-made spaghetti sauce that had big pieces of tomatos, green peppers, mushrooms and other stuff, usually served with shell pasta. The only thing I couldn't force myself to eat was the spaghetti sauce.

As a kid, I was always on the lookout for slugs and insects in my food (I found that sort of thing just often enough that I could never relax), and that sauce, with all of those things floating in it completely grossed me out. I remember many a night when I'd be sitting at the dinner table trying, for what seemed like hours, to choke down just enough of it to be excused.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I forgot to write that when I was ill I was getting soup made with chicken and rice and with a lot of lemon juice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit