JW Marketing

by Clam 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SomeGeek
    SomeGeek

Aslo it would provide another avenue of keeping record. All of the stuff they say in privite I wouldn't think would fly well on TV. Also,although I don't think anyone would do this, If someone would record (God forbid TIvo), it would such a hardcore con when "the light changes" or "gets brighter". One could say "Yes you, So and so, on the so and so-th of so-uary, said so and so". Sooooooooooooooo (lol) their words could come back harder because it's not a link (easy to change), or a pamplet(reprint-all better now) or DVD (did you get the latest edition, toss out the old one, you don't need it). ANyways...the horse is dead, so I will stop beating it.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Trojan,

Was that from the time before sin, when Eve was unashamed of her nakedness? Unashamed of her ability to easily bend over and grab her ankles? Unashamed of her incredible flexibility and balance that allowed her to put her legs behind her neck while standing?

Yeah, that marketing scam might work at that.

AuldSoul

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

That's a good point.

Because after all, look at the effort they have put out there to get rid of the old publications. If a person could record what they actually had to say, they'd be in a lot of trouble.

meagan

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The time is coming, BlackSwan, when they will disallow recordings of talks and conventions. They don't know that time is coming, but when they see what technology allows us to do that will be their reaction. They cannot stand scrutiny. It doesn't just irritate them, it destroys them. And they know it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Trojan
    Trojan
    have to go and look it up at the Bethel library....

Trojan, you are being a tease.......................aren't you?

Nope. No teasing. It's what you're thinking. See my first threads in history:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/105407/2.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/105407/3.ashx

I know, some of the other guys on that thread are still waiting for an answer (like Check_Your_Premises, AlmostAnAtheist).....but you must understand that this is a though one for me....how to do it without raising suspicion....also: how could you prove that the insider info is really "deep insider"......

Will see.....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"deep insider"...... heh heh heh.... he said "deep insider" heh heh heh

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Circa 1990 the internet was already being demonized by the WT as the domain of predators.What gets me is back then no one was connected,any dubs who had a PC in the house their kids used it to play space invaders and pac man.

They saw the handwriting on the wall didn't they?Control feaks

• Confession
    Confession

Ahh, what a nice thread!

Marketing Strategy is something retailers hire me to do, but I've thought very little about the WTS from a marketing perspective. When I start to work with any client on a campaign, I will ask for the answers to three questions: 1) Who are we talking to? 2) What do we want them to do? 3) Why should they do it?

I think the answers are: 1) People looking for hope and purpose 2) Become an obedient, zealous member and an outspoken advocate for us 3) Because it will bring them purpose. identity and community now--and everlasting life in the future...

The book, "Cult Branding" (Ragas/Bueno 2002) was not all that groudbreaking, but it's really neat to read it and make application to the WTS. The authors are actually talking about how certain "brands" have turned customers into loyal followers. They have identified seven Cult Brand Rules.

RULE #1: Consumers Want to be Part of a Group That's Different: Interesting if you think about it. People both want to be different and part of a group. Being different gives them a sort of identity. But being part of a group gives them the sense of community and belonging they want. The fact that the WTS hasn't started printing glossy, flashier magazines--and hasn't gone full steam ahead with a huge media presence probably has to do with not wanting to invite any more attention from potential media enemies than is necessary. But part of the allure of the organization is that members must be "separate from the world." (Sound "different" to you?) Splashy, glossy mags and slickly produced infomercials might tend to detract from this separate-ness.

Anyway, the WTS has certainly done a bang-up job of creating a group that's different. No smoking, more drinking than most fundamentalist religions, no holidays, no birthdays, no gambling, no swearing, no belief in many central teachings of mainstream Christianity, no voting, no going to college, and while most people refuse to talk about religion JWs can't quit talking about it. If you are a JW, you are certainly "part of a group that's different!"

RULE #2: Cult Brands Show Daring and Determination: In some areas, the WTS shows this, in others they fall flat. The truth is, although they've (we've) been doing it for a hundred years and it seems like old hat to us, having all of your members go house to house and business to business is a pretty daring thing for a religion. How many times did someone (even irritated Pastors/Priests) tell you, "I don't agree with you people, but I think it's really great that you go out into the neighborhoods and share your faith as you do. Our church could learn a lesson from you."

Determination? That's the average, zealous JW's middle name. He's so determined his brain becomes singularly focused on convincing someone he has the Truth. His ears close and brain allows little data entry. New ones see this and absorb it.

The aspects of this Rule that the WTS breaks is that they do not "listen to the feedback of followers and act on it." And although the door-to-door ministry can be considered "risky," that was something that started at the beginning of the movement. Since then, the leadership has grown incredibly stodgy. They're scared to take risks.

RULE #3: Cult Brands Sell Lifestyles: Bing, bing, bing! The WTS wins the prize on this one. Few religious systems extend as deeply into the lives of their members like that of Jehovah's Witnesses. Five meetings per week, service every Saturday and then some, and constant encouragment to prepare for the meetings. Gatherings in member homes, Bethel tours, District Conventions, Circuit Assemblies, Special Assembly Days--and all the restaurant gatherings thereafter. I remember someone once telling me, "Yeah, okay, I'll become a Witness." I tried to hold back my laughter and explain, "Look, becoming a JW is not like just becoming a Presbyterian or something." If you become a JW, you are introducing yourself to a completely new lifestyle.

RULE #4: Cult Brands Create Brand Evangelists: More kudos to the WTS. New JWs start out saying, "I'll never go door-to-door." In a matter of weeks, they're doing it ten hours per month. Indeed being one of JWs actually requires you to be an "evangelist," since your congregation will label you as being "irregular" or "inactive" based entirely on the frequency of your evangelism.

The only problem here (again) is that the cult brand must listen to it's followers' wants and needs, take heed, and turn them into reality. They must show followers that they really care. The WTS' track record in this regard is very poor. It's clear that the GB has historically been more concerned with their image than with the feedback of its members.

What's particularly "false" to me is the fact that the very group that they claim has authority or "stewardship" on earth (the Faithful and Discreet Slave) is not even consulted when important decisions are made for the group! Ray Franz brought this out in CoC. My dad has professed to be of that class since before I was born. The GB has never asked for his input.

RULE #5: Cult Brands "Give Back to" Their Customers: What the authors mean by this is that Cult Brands reward their people. (Think Oprah always giving away stuff to audience members, Jimmy Buffett reserving special concert tickets for "Parrot Head" members, many companies giving their customers special gifts and unexpected surprises.)

Special releases at a convention are often spun as being "loving gifts" from Jehovah's organization. If you're a Bethelite you get the magazines, yearbooks and special releases earlier than others. But usually any "reward" is not really considered such by JWs. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, everyone acted like the new books were a big deal, but what percentage of them actually read them right away? Same goes with the "loving provision" of elders in the congregations. Any "reward" was a stretch at best. The WTS just wants followers to keep focusing on the "big reward" of everlasting life, which no one has yet attained.

RULE #6: Cult Brands are Inclusive: This one's hard to nail down. But, here again, some ways good, other ways bad. On the one hand, you have to admit that the organization embraces a wide variety of people. People of all countries and races generally feel comfortable joining and mixing with everyone else.

But the authors emphasize the need for the brand to be "open." They highlight Linux' open source development process as a good example. The fierce loyalty among Linux users comes from everyone sharing ideas, contributing, and being open to utilizing new concepts. This most certainly is not a WTS trait. They describe how Oprah inspires great loyalty because of the way she presents herself and her life--openly. She shares the details of her personal problems and failings openly with her audience. The WTS prefers not to admit its mistakes, and when it does it lamely suggests it was a minor shadow on their ever-increasing path toward enlightenment. Anytime we question the huge past mistakes, wide eyes and toothy grins try to persuade us to focus on the miraculous "new light" Jehovah has provided to correct them.

RULE #7: Cult Brands Promote Personal Freedom and Draw Power from their Enemies: Perhaps a "yes" on the second point--but a resounding "NO" on the first. I think it's obvious most JWs are energized when they hear some type of "persecution" is affecting them. (Limitations on legal recognition in Russia, tax evasion charges in France, communities that try to limit their preaching activity, church pastors who speak against them.)

But "personal freedom?" I don't think I need to spend much time on this except to say that individuals within this organization have very little "freedom" when its leadership requires they accept their conclusions in every important life decision. There is no real freedom when a person cannot change his/her mind without the threat of losing all contact with their family and entire community of friends.

This has become a lot longer than I'd imagined. Obviously, if the borg's goal was to grow, they certainly did that, while many other groups of their era did not. They did some things right. But the things they do wrong will continue to cause them problems. That is no doubt why there is a great undercurrent of those leaving.

From time to time the Society has tried to undertake certain efforts to reach audiences on a larger scale, but they never take it very far. They used to produce radio programs that elders could get. Then elders would ask local radio station(s) to air them during their Public Service hours. My dad used to do this, but we were never sure the station actually aired them.

About ten years ago (or more)--along about the time the Society was opening its Public Affairs department, my C.O. got together with a few brothers to help create media campaigns. I was asked to write a couple of sixty second Radio ads that would be used to create a direct response. I wrote them, but again nothing came of it. A few years ago I remember seeing some TV ads they'd produced. You used to be able to view them at one of their websites, and I heard they were airing in some markets. No more?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit