JW Marketing

by Clam 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clam
    Clam

The way the JW religion markets itself often intrigues me. Needless to say one of the most powerful marketing tools, the internet, is giving more hindrance than help to the WTS.

I'm suprised that the Organisation still sticks with the basic door to door sales approach, which more often than not irritates people, and that they push their message primarily with rather crude magazines. I'm sure the magazines have to be basic and cheap to maintain profit margins, but in a more sophisticated media dominated world do they really think that cheesy drawings of people cuddling tigers in front of waterfalls is a good sell? Maybe it is. People I know see it as comical.

My point is that the Society seems disinclined to constantly look at and reinforce its brand, and that the brand image is stale. This like many businesses will confirm could help put it "out of business".

I'm looking at it from a British perspective though. Is the WTS more imaginative in say the US? Is there a JW cable channel, do they hand out DVDs on the door, do they mass mail drop etc? I've only found out through this forum that they do Telesales.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I agree with you on most of your points raised here.

The JW brand is stale but it was hardly ever in vogue really was it? I mean in all honesty we had to be at a really low point to believe a door step book salesperson when they said that obtaining their books would lead to everlasting life.

Admittedly though they could do more but this would only put them in the same bracket as some of the cheesy commercial religious channels that beg for donations. By doing things they way they do they maximise their exposure but at the same time keep their commercial activities very very low key.

Just my opinion.

DB74

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Yes Clam - it always struck me why the WTBTS hasn't moved with the times. With the invention of cars and travel, ''Witnessing'' reached further afield and to remote areas. BUT I always wondered (pre-Internet) why the WTBTS never made TV programmes promoting the Society's beliefs - after all, this would be the 'modern' interpretation of 'door to door', it would also reach EVERYONE who wanted to listen - and, I believe, would make more converts.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

One thing that has just sprung to mind is that to alter their approach would mean less work for their members which in turn would mean that there would be more time spent on so called worldly activities, more 'secular' work, more play, more time to think and study the bible.

DB74

• Trojan
    Trojan

Well, I saw some brochures from the 30's that had a totally naked Eve on the front page....you would see her from the front....have to go and look it up at the Bethel library....(the modern day version would be something that comes close to the newest Playboy....) Would that sell?

• Trojan
    Trojan

Well, I saw some brochures from the 30's that had a totally naked Eve on the front page....you would see her from the front....have to go and look it up at the Bethel library....(the modern day version would be something that comes close to the newest Playboy....) Would that sell?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    My point is that the Society seems disinclined to constantly look at and reinforce its brand, and that the brand image is stale. This like many businesses will confirm could help put it "out of business".

I'm looking at it from a British perspective though. Is the WTS more imaginative in say the US? Is there a JW cable channel, do they hand out DVDs on the door, do they mass mail drop etc? I've only found out through this forum that they do Telesales.

That's an interesting thought. No, they haven't kept up with the times over here.

For the most part anyway. I have heard a few people say that they saw a commercial here or there. They do what they call "phone witnessing" and letter writing. I admit, I did some letter writing.

I think they try to stay away from doing things that members of Christendom get involved in. I.e. things like their own DubVision television station, Mass Market invitations to the Sunday Talk. ....

That could be very interesting.

meagan

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'm suprised that the Organisation still sticks with the basic door to door sales approach

The reason for this can be summed up in one word: Control

To indoctrinate someone with the WTS's teachings most people need to have a one-on-one study. The one-on-one study is one of the best ways to control a student and ensure he does not start to drift off with his own thoughts and conclusions. In the one-on-one setting the independent thinking and conclusions can be quashed very quickly. If the student is persistent in coming to unapproved conclusions the study can be cut off and the student rejected as not being honest hearted.

The last time I went to a JW District Convention I went to the back room area where the convention operators were and asked if I could record the program by placing my recorder near a speaker. I was told that the convention was not really appropriate for the general public because it contained talks that were meant for "spiritual mature" people (brainwashed and indoctrinated). When I told them that their web site invited the general public to listen they immediately warned me about lies on the internet... so I asked them if their own website had lies. Once they managed to pull their feet out of their mouths they told me it would be much better if I started with a one-on-one bible study because I just wasn't ready to hear what they were going to talk about at the convention.

They were right... the convention consisted of nothing more than "do more!" and "the end is near!" and "do more!" and "we are right and the everyone else is satanic", etc, etc, etc.... Just propaganda about the WTS.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    have to go and look it up at the Bethel library....

Trojan, you are being a tease.......................aren't you?

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

The Watchtower is scared to death of the internet and anything else we might consider "progress." These things represent loss of control to them. Back in the mid 90's when the internet was really cranking up, I had the novel idea to go online and witness. It was awesome, I could sit at my computer on a Saturday morning in my pj's, and witness. I think I talked with more people in one day than I had in two months of door-to-door; however, when the elders found out about it, they freaked.

The Society can't afford to have it's members actively online because they can't control what they might see. While the Society can hide and rewrite it's history when the only thing their people read is a Watchtower, they cannot do this online.

God I love the internet, it's the great equalizer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit