im hurt, desperate, confused and considering this religion - advice?

by very_confused 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Hey vc,

Sounds like you are taking some of the thoughts on this board to heart. I guess I don't want to add to the advice. Just know that many of us have been where you are at. You are at a funny age. You are finding your place in the world, and figuring out who you want to be.

I don't know if you live with your folks. It sounds like you haven't been happy for a long time. It sounds like there is something that you haven't dealt with or learned to live with. I guess only you know what that is.

I also have found that when I am in states such as yours, it helps to remember past times when I was really down. Eventually, the sun came up. Better times approached. Kind of like when it is nighttime, and all the demons in your head come. You start to have all these horrible thoughts. All seems hopeless. Then you doze off, wake up in the morning, and for some reason things just don't seem so bad anymore. When you are down it is just so easy to forget about all the good things in your life. I for one am jealous of your years. I sure wish I could have some back.

I am rambling a bit here. I am mostly trying to tell you that it is normal that you are feeling this way. We have all been there. Just don't go imagining that you are the only person who has felt this way.

CYP

• greendawn
    greendawn

Hi VC and welcome to the board, would you like to tell us what is or at least what you believe to be the cause of your depression? Perhaps this can help remove some of the emotional strain that blocks your life.

As for the JWs I also think you should avoid them because they are a cultic religion, aren't there some other non cultic (or even non religious) groups that can help you?

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Hi there,

I really related to your comments on friendships, I too am not the most social person and like one or maybe even two really close friends. Someone who will 'let you in', therefore I never viewed any of those who were 'just' friendly as real friends as I needed that almost intense closeness with someone. I too feel incredably lonely right now, this is from a background of being an ex witness who is shunned and the only two people I really interact with are my two daughters. As your aware to gain a friendship of the type we enjoy takes a lot of time and investment over years with a similar minded person and it can shatter you to lose them. I think the reality is that people do come and go through our lives though. I have even thought of the enjoyment of that temporary love bombing one could get by going to the witnesses (in my case it would require a period of time of attending whilst still being shunned so the 'loving' elders can assess my repentance!) in any case I cant and wont do that as my conscience wont allow me to head back to the life that was based on lie's or interpretation along with control that made me so fed up in the first place.

Whilst I cant suggest a particular solution to you (we all have our own ways to cope), you have a least found a place to tell someone (everyone here) how you feel. You have been able to write down your thoughts and once you start to write them you find you have written so much, I often do the same thing when typing about my thoughts. I'm sure its good to do that, it allows you to sort and sift through your feelings by putting it into words doesnt it, so dont let up.

Take care and enjoy your time here

Arnie

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

To very_confused: First, I'm sorry for your situation. I'm not a professional therapist, I only have a BA in Psychology. But I strongly recommend that you see a professional ASAP. Making any major change in your life while you are in this state could be disasterous. But joining the JW's is about the worst I can think of. I was one for 25 years and after my wife left me and took my only child, simply because I quit this religion when it covered up my child being raped at the age of 9, I ended up with most of the problems you now have. In other words, many JW's find that BEING a JW or leaving the JW's turn them into the person you are now. So the question might be asked, "Why would you want to get worse?"

It may seem that they care, but it is "love bombing". The JW's are very good at finding and snagging people who are "ripe" or drifting through life without a purpose. Often people are on drugs, or alcohol, just get divorced, had a death in the family, or something else. Maybe a job loss. In any event, by going to the meetings, you get an "instant family" (just add water--the "water of life") who seems to care about you more than your real family does. Many JW's come from very dysfunctional families and by going to the hall, they find the "perfect" family. Why? Because everyone's on his best behavior. But after you join, you will find that YOU must always be on your best behavior, or perhaps I should say THEIR DEFINITION of what your best behavior better be (or else).

Now if you decide to leave them, you will lose EVERYTHING and I fear the consequences. Suicide is rampant among ex-JW's, especially young people. It almost touched my family. Often, people go back to drugs, alcohol and mental disorders that might make what you now have look like kindergarten. I can't tell you what to do, but the people on this board are very intelligent and knowledgeable. They also have much experience with the WT. I would read all the posts and do as much research as possible. I personally am active on the child abuse site www.silentlambs.org . But Freeminds is the biggest site I know to get the most information. I'm very impressed with Randy's work here and the people who participate. I have learned much from them. I hope you can find peace and make the right decision for you. Strange as it may seem, some people are better off as JW's. I can't defend that logically and I cannot understand why, but some have quit and gone back and are happier. It may be for the wrong reasons, but sometimes being at peace is more important than being "right", if there can be a "right" or "wrong" in this issue. Good luck to you and please take care of yourself.

• very_confused
    very_confused

It's difficult to convey through a computer, but I'm touched by the amount of people who have taken the time to respond to this, especially when this is a board that seems to be geared mainly towards ex Jehovah's Witness support, and I'm a person that's never even been afiliated with the Jehovah's Witnesses. You're a surprisingly compassionate bunch, thank you all for the kind words and warm welcomes. I'm sort of at an unstable time in my life where I'm much more easily influenced than I would be normally, and though I'm sure it sounds really corny you've all inspired me to feel a bit more positively about human beings in general, which I think is a good thing. So thank you once again, I really appreciate it very much.

I think I'm acutally doing better, because I feel more hopeful now than I did even as little as two days ago - and I think you are partially to thank for that, it helped me more than I thought. I've put together a rough plan to improve my life - I saw a councellor at the college I'd been attending for the first time today, and will drop in weekly sessions. As for other immidate changes, I've resolved to care for myself physically more than I have been for the past while by exercising and eating properly - which I hope will make me feel better. As for religion, I think I'll take the advice not to *choose* anything at this point. In the immidate future I'll just attend Catholic mass with no particular goals in mind, and just keep an open mind and see how it makes me feel be there. As for Jeff Schwehm's offer, I am absolutely interested, thank you Mr. Schwehm. I am certainly looking forward to hearing more from you.

On a slightly more long term basis, I went to the Alpha website and I liked it. Even better yet, there are many different classes starting my area in the next two months, so I have some time to think about this. When I am feeling more stable I'll try to make a few friends and maybe do some volunteer work. Finally, I do plan to go back to school, but only after I feel almost fully stable. While I don't really feel capable of having a support system of 10-20 friends like Jgnat suggested, I will try to make at least three *good* friends, so that I don't end up in the same situation I was in before - and I will never invest everything in a single person. Though I do desire another relationship like that, in the end it is probably not worth it, because I'm finding the loss really difficult to deal with. Auntie Jane, you are right, I do tend to care too much. When people that I care about are acting cruel towards me, I usually don't even fight back, purely because I don't want to say or do anything that might hurt their feelings. This is probably not a good thing.

I'm still looking for a psychiatrist, but I'm feeling a bit discouraged so far. It seems every place either isn't accepting any new patients or has a really long waiting list - and this includes clinics. Part of the problem is that I live in Canada. Psychiatrists are free here thanks to medicare, but with all the healthcare cut backs, the demand is massive. Probably there are private doctors that I could see right away for a fee, but I don't have the funds for that at this point. Rebel8, I don't have a doctor of any kind, acutally. I'm waiting to get a physician, but I was desperate and needed some immidiate relief so I went to a walk in clinic - and that's how I got these anti dperessants perscribed to me. Basically I got a 5 minute "asessment" and then got sent out the door because it is a walk in clinic afterall, and time is short and the lobby was full. I looked this guy up on the internet and it turns out he is primarily a plastic surgeon who happens to do walk-in clinic part time - so all in all his credentials in the mental health field are somewhat questionable. I have a lot of concerns about the Effexor that I'm taking (side effects, dosage, other possible medications, etc), and I wish I could go over them with a professional.

But I am a bit puzzled at the AA group meeting suggestion.... why exactly?

Greendawn, you asked about the cause of my depression. I believe the cause of my longterm depression is mostly rooted in my poor relationship with my parents. Without getting too detailed about her condition, my mother was (and still is) severely mentally ill, but has always refused any form of treatment which has only made her problem worse. I think her way of coping was to take out most of her frustrations associated with her illness out on me. For minor offences such as accidentally spilling a glass of juice, in the best case scenario she would scream at me and call me all kinds of names for about half an hour straight, and in the worst case scenario she would beat me with whatever she could get her hands on. At all times she would stay enraged with me for the rest of the day, and sometimes the next day too. For more serious offences, such as C's on a report card, she would lock herself up in her room for about a week and would never, not once, come out. As far as I can tell she ate nothing during this time and was basically starving herself. I was only a young child, and I loved her despite everything, so these experiences were terrifying for me. As for my father, he was characteristically absent, leaving me alone in her hands. I was always afraid of making some minor mistake and making her angry, so I tried to be as innofensive (passive) as possible from an early age. This caused me social difficulties as early as kindergarden. I was afraid of the possibility of doing something wrong, so I ended up not talking at all - not the ideal situation to make friends - and the social handicap to some degree exists to this day. Anyway, I think the hardest thing for me though, aren't these sorts of experiences but rather that I would like to have some kind of positive relationship with my mother, but am continually frustrated and saddened that it isn't possible. She has never shown me any caring or affection, and has rejected my attempts at these things. Furthermore, she has never once apologized or taken responsibility for her actions. I have some sympathy for her illness, and for that reason I do want to forgive her, but it is difficult to forgive someone who does not want to be forgiven. I just keep searching for love, acceptance, and a positive relationship with someone who is incapable of these things, and I think my frustrations with that eventually turned into a mild, premanent depression that ocassionaly got worse when combined with other sources of distress.

This all sounds kinda whiny, so I'm sorry for that. I do keep my problems in perspective though; I know my own experiences aren't really much compared to what others have gone through and continue to go through, and my heart really goes out to to these people. I've looked through some of the comments posted on this site, stories of people like Mscemike who have been through extremely traumatizing things far out of the league of what I've experienced, and quite plainly I'm impressed at your strength and courage.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Very_Confused, I am impressed by the positive steps you are taking. The school counsellor is excellent. Getting on a waiting list for a psychiatrist is also good, but I wouldn't worry as long as you are reaching out in other areas. Get yourself a family doctor. They can track your progress and monitor your medication. You'd be shocked if you knew how many depressed patients a family doctor regularly takes care of.

But I am a bit puzzled at the AA group meeting suggestion.... why exactly?

Just because, I am guessing, AA explores co-dependency, enabling, and blame. Besides, it gets you out of the house and out with other people. Maybe you can learn to let go of that irresponsible mother of yours and forgive yourself for not being the perfect daughter. My mom is not as bad as yours, but she also, is unavailable emotionally. She can't help it, she's mentally ill. Once I let go of my anger - my "healthy" mom was replaced by this virtual "shell" - I was able to accept my mother for who she is. She's not motherly.

You're absolutely right - you can't go out there and "grow" 10-20 friends all at once. Two or three to start is plenty. I quoted the ideal. It'll take a while for you to get there. There are some amazing survivors who post regularly on this board, Lady Lee, Blondie, who rose above the squalor of their pasts and are beautiful people regardless. You can do it too.

I have some sympathy for her illness, and for that reason I do want to forgive her, but it is difficult to forgive someone who does not want to be forgiven.

Then maybe, in the interim, just release her.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Hi Very_Confused -

Welcome to JWD. I think this was great place for you to post and was happy to see that not only did you come back and submit such a warm post, but you also took some positive steps to improve your own life right now (School, diet, excercise, etc.). You comment about attending Mass intrigued me. I now consider myself more agnostic than anything but have this yearning to attend a Mass or two. Not sure why. I will probably do that in a few weeks.

You wrote:

...especially when this is a board that seems to be geared mainly towards ex Jehovah's Witness support, and I'm a person that's never even been afiliated with the Jehovah's Witnesses. You're a surprisingly compassionate bunch, thank you all for the kind words and warm welcomes.

My mind kept going back to this comment and I tried to think why. And why what you said is so true.

I think it's because even though we are mostly x-jw's and you were merely considering investigating/associating/joining, we have all to greater or lesser degrees been where you are in our own lives. At a crossroads. Sad. Alone. Looking for something to grab on to or connect with. Many here have truly lost everything - and all their family and friends and social status.

What you can see, though, is that each of us has found a way to move on with our lives and make them better than they were before. We learned to set goals that we wanted for ourselves. We started building lives that we wanted to live. We looked deep within our being and found what we love about ourselves.

JW or not, that's very human. And you were touched by human compassion and understanding.

Again, welcome to JWD. There are a few others who, for one reason or another, have stumbled on to this site and stuck around. I hope you stay. I think you'll like it. And if you want to just ramble and ramble and ramble on, go right ahead!! If someone really doesn't want to wade thru your entire post - they won't. No harm, no foul. But you get to 'say' what you want/need to say and might just get a comment, or two, or fifty and the knowledge that others can and do care.

You might even be helping someone who is more shy than you and is just browsing or lurking.

Enjoy your visit here and come back as often as you like.

-Aude.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

jgnat wrote:

Just because, I am guessing, AA explores co-dependency, enabling, and blame. Besides, it gets you out of the house and out with other people.

It also explores spirituality and self-worth and personal growth.

And the price is right. Much cheaper than private psychiatrist. As I recall, it's a donation to help with the basic costs for the group (coffee, snacks, paper, pens, room 'rental'). Way back when, we each contributed $1 per person, per meeting. At one time there were other 12-step programs that were based on AA principles. CoDA (co-dependents) was one that I found extremely enlightening but the group that I really identified with was ACA (Adult Children of Alcoholics). I attended meetings with a friend just to see what she was learning and was amazed at what I learned about myself.

These groups are generally pretty social (even if just for the hour or so of the meeting). You may find that none of what is presented applies but most likely you will find, like you did here on JWD, that there are common threads and the people in the group will understand some of your situation and will respectfully help you find what you need to heal and grow.

Even now (15 years later), another friend of mine invites me to AA functions when I'm feeling lonely. I sometimes go just because they are fun and clean.

I know it seemed an unusual suggestion, but you might want to find a meeting close to you and pop in. If nothing else, just for the new experience. You won't have to lie. In fact, it's better if you don't.

Keep in touch.

-Aude.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

But I am a bit puzzled at the AA group meeting suggestion.... why exactly? Okay, HALT. Even though AA provides a lot of good things, it is NOT FAIR to walk into an AA meeting when you do not have an alcohol problem. Come on, people...........this is not right or fair to the people who walk into those meetings in order to connect with kindred spirits.........puh-leese!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

confused,

I am glad you have felt at home and supported here. Most have been through alot and have some really messed up family situations. I guess that is why you fit in. I think the other reason is that a lot of folks were just like you when the knock at the door came. We can't go back in time, but we can warn you.

I am very glad you are away at school. It sounds like your home life is not a place that is very healthy. Being away from home can be very disconcerting though. It is hard to setup the new friends and routines that give us stability and comfort. I have moved several times in my life, and I have found it takes about a year for a place to feel like home.

The key is it sounds like you are dealing with your situation in a healthy way. You are doing things to deal with your problems that will make your situation BETTER. Often, when we feel down we do things that might give us a short term bit of relief, but make our situation much WORSE.

You sound like a pretty sharp kid. From the story you have told it has probably taken quite a bit for you to be as wise as you are showing yourself to be.

Take care!

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit