Who was Jesus really?

by Spectrum 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

1. Was he the Son of God and some kind of god himself?
    2. Was he an extremely intelligent man that manipulated people and made himself appear to be fullfilling the prophecies about the Messiah?
    3. Was he a dellusional nutter?

Personally I think he was number 2 for most of his life then became number 3 when he tried to take on the blood thirsty jewish establisment.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

He was Yeheshua ben Joseph - a remarkable man that had many fine teachings. I believe him to be The Son of God NOT God

• JH
    JH

Well, I wasn't there so I can only read the bible....to find out who he was.

He said he was the son of God, and many witnesses said he made miracles...so, I go for #1 in your list.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It may be wise before giving much credence to him to investigate -- other than the Bible -- to see if he even existed. Unless of course we are not interested in truth, but would rather just blindly follow the blind no matter where it leads us.

j

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

He was a nice Jewish boy who became confused.

The biological son of Joseph or some other man.

Not God nor the Son of God.

When he died on the cross he stayed dead and was never resurrected.

• dreamspinn
    dreamspinn

Well of course non of you are going to believe christ is God! In-fact most JWs are restricted to research other beliefs. I know this cause I married a JW and I have most of the books, a huge collection of the tower booklets, and I've studied thier histroy. It's interesting, and quite unpredictable due to the fact there has been many changes over and over and over. I'm not picking on your "faith" but JWs can be extremely judgmental, confused, and very opinionated. Now this is not to be taken offensively, which I know most of you will, but you need to re-study! You need to re-read the old testament. I guarantee you will find the truth before the new testament was even born.If you feel God can't be christ then you are limiting his ability of being God. God can be whatever, whomever, and be whereever he wants, so when you say "NO!" that he cannot be christ then your limiting his power of being God. You might be shocked to realize the truth is being covered up. Not just with JWs but with mormons, some christian groups, catholics, and so on. I'm telling you keep researching. Dont let anyone keep you from learning. I'll be back to check on the response.......

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome dreamspinn.

If you feel God can't be christ then you are limiting his ability of being God. God can be whatever, whomever, and be whereever he wants, so when you say "NO!" that he cannot be christ then your limiting his power of being God.

What would you say dreamspinn, if I said that no one, and no thing, is ultimately any less divine than Jesus was, if he existed?

j

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

Oh, that was Brian wasn't it?

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Only those 3 options?

Whatever they may have thought about the divinity of this Jesus, be they Ebionite, Marcionite, or proto-orthodox, the underlying core of piety, charity and self-sacrifice initially practiced by all these christians (and taught as being from him) don't strike me as coming from a delusional (option #3-nutter) founding figure. Such negative cult leaders are either way too narcissitic or destructive. I don't think that a founder who consciously worked at manipulating people (option #2) would be the catalyst for a genuinely caring movement either. The way the proto-orthodox acted afterwards makes option #2 an apt description of themselves though.

Option #1? Thats the big .There's so much myth that its near well impossible to get at the historical Jesus, assuming that there actually even was such a figure. Even though I can see the rationale behind several scholars' opinions of what to attribute or not attribute to him, its only conjecture.

How's about another option? That Jesus was a person like you and me, but who was so attuned to the spiritual side and to divinity, that God chose to interact with humanity through him?

• acadian
    acadian

Hello All,

Well, I would do research first on who the Nazarenes were, and that might be a starting point as to who Jesus really was.

All verses are from NIV

Mark 14:67
    When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him. "You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus," she said.

Mark 16:6
    "Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.

Acts 24:5
    "We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the Nazarene sect

Matthew 2:23
    and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."
    (Note: the town/city "Nazareth" didn't come into being until about 300 hundred years after Jesus, but there was a Nazarene community)

When you do the research on the "Nazarene's it should give you some clues about Jesus life and true teachings.

Kind Regards
    Acadian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit