Another stupid blunder by the WTBTS.

by gumby 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Many times the WTBTS are pretty good at changing poilicy without looking to obvious to the R&F as being sneaky and having a motive behind their changes. Normally they can even justify their change as scriptural to the unwary. However, when they changed the Baptismal questions, it was more obvious that there was "motive" behind the change and some exited the group BECAUSE of the change.

This thread is for those who have never heard of the change before and were not aware of the current stance the WTBTS has taken regarding baptism. Many who have been baptized long ago are not even aware of the change. Many here are well informed of this info so don't let it bore you too much.

w55 7/1 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit. This shows, among other things, that Christianity is not a denominational affair, that sects have nothing to do with it. “Does the Christ exist divided? Paul was not impaled for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I am thankful I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.”—1 Cor. 1:13-15, NW.

w66 10/1 603-4 Serving with Everlasting Life in View

15 This is what we mean when we dedicate our lives to Jehovah. We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organization.

In a complete reversal, they changed their belief to this

w89 1/15 13 What Prevents You From Getting Baptized?

for the first of two questions the speaker asks them is: “On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?” Only if the individual answers in the affirmative and also understands that his dedication and baptism identify him as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization can he acceptably undergo water immersion.

Gumby

• oldflame
    oldflame

Yep..

gurgle, gurgle, bloop, bloop, I am drowning here.

Misrepresentation, misrepresentaion

There seems to be a pattern here !

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Wow, good catch! That's beautiful!

Dave

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

"and also understands that his dedication and baptism identify him as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization can he acceptably undergo water immersion."
    That sounds more like you are joining a club than accepting the salvation that Christ offers for those who believe in him as the saviour. Maybe they put that bit in to remind people that they are actually under contract to abide by WTBS rules however unsavoury they might be, including shunning ones family.
    There is nothing about Christ. Or did you just not paste it?

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Spectrum, I remember many friends of mine saying the same thing. It seems it was done for legal reasons. This way you have no leg to stand on if and when you try to due anything contrary to the Society. You are now bound by contract to their rules and regulations. Sneeky devils.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Nice work, Gumby!! Thanks for the info. The more I read about JWs and their beliefs and the WTS, the harder it is for me to believe that there are people who actually swallow this stuff and believe it whole-heartedly. The WTS just changes things and the obedient JWs just accept everything at face-value.

Like someone said in another thread, this is just like Orwell's "1984" - Big Brother constantly changes the rules and even history to suit current situations and nobody ever questions it because they're not allowed. The WTS changes things, completely reverses many of its doctrines and practices and loyal JWs just eat it up, they don't ever examine things or question the changes because they're not allowed to. Incredible, just incredible.

-Becka :)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Former baptism questions (from the Watchtower 6/1, 1963):

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

New baptism questions (from Watchtower 6/1, 1985):

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    w55 7/1 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit.

But, but, but, don't they say that Christ is a man???

Spectrum:
    The questions at the poolside, in full, are now as follows:

1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

No Matt.28:19 in sight...

• gumby
    gumby

............Paul says......."some of you say 'I am baptized in Paul, others say Apollos' is the Christ divided"?

Witnesses can read this scripture yet justify their organisations re-wording of the baptismal questions which blatantly say "as one of Jehovahs Witnesses". Once again in cultlike fashion, they elate their Organisation high above Christs head.

Gumby

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I think the WT changed their baptismal vows in 1985. The 1989 quote must have been a repeat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit