The Stake is a more pagan symbol than the Cross

by jwfacts 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Because JW's don't go around with poles tied around their necks."

True, but many people speculate that witnesses go around with a stick hidden elsewhere on their person.

• FaithfulDoubter
    FaithfulDoubter

I always found it interesting, that in much of the literature, there is (was) the claim that early christians drew Jesus as being nailed to a stake. Despite years of searching, I've yet to find such a drawing in anything except the societies literature.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa2.htm

Life events shared by Osiris, Dionysus and Jesus

The following stories appear both in the Gospels and in the myths of many of the god-men:

bulletConception:
    bulletGod was his father. This was believed to be literally true in the case of Osiris-Dionysus; their God came to earth and engaged in sexual intercourse with a human. The father of Jesus is God in the form of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:18).
    bulletA human woman, a virgin, was his mother.
    bulletBirth:
    bulletHe was born in a cave or cowshed. Luke 2:7 mentions that Jesus was placed in a manger - an eating trough for animals. One early Christian tradition said that the manger was in a cave.
    bulletHis birth was prophesized by a star in the heavens.
    bulletMinistry:
    bulletAt a marriage ceremony, he performed the miracle of converting water into wine.
    bulletHe was powerless to perform miracles in his home town.
    bulletHis followers were born-again through baptism in water.
    bulletHe rode triumphantly into a city on a donkey. Tradition records that the inhabitants waved palm leaves.
    bulletHe had 12 disciples.
    bulletHe was accused of licentious behavior.
    bulletExecution, resurrection, etc:
    bulletHe was killed near the time of the Vernal Equinox, about MAR-21.
    bulletHe died "as a sacrifice for the sins of the world." 1
    bulletHe was hung on a tree, stake, or cross.
    bulletAfter death, he descended into hell.
    bulletOn the third day after his death, he returned to life.
    bulletThe cave where he was laid was visited by three of his female followers
    bulletHe later ascended to heaven.
    bulletHis titles:
    bulletGod made flesh.
    bulletSavior of the world.
    bulletSon of God.
    bulletBeliefs about the God-man:
    bulletHe is "God made man," and equal to the Father.
    bulletHe will return in the last days.
    bulletHe will judge the human race at that time.
    bulletHumans are separated from God by original sin. The god-man's sacrificial death reunites the believer with God and atones for the original sin.

All of the Pagan myths had been circulating for centuries before Jesus birth (circa 4 to 7 BCE). It is obvious that if any copying occurred, it was the followers of Jesus incorporating into his biography the myths and legends of Osiris-Dionysus, not vice-versa.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    True, but many people speculate that witnesses go around with a stick hidden elsewhere on their person

Careful! That's borderline blasphemy against the great Elsewhere!

• daystar
    daystar

Too bad this would all be right over the head of the average JW.

• knothead34
    knothead34

good point that they don't wear the pole around their neck. the only symbol they have is the watchtower symbol, but even that isn't plastered everywhere like the cross is. Not saying it is right or wrong to wear the cross or defending the watchtower. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what Jesus died on, just that he died. The WT makes way to much out of that and I think they do that just so they can be different.

Prime example, at the last 2 day assemble I said something about going to "church" and another sister said "you go to a church"? I guess the appropriate terminology is going to the "kingdom hall". My bible study teacher said they changed it because of this:

You go to the town hall to find out info on the town, so you go to a kingdom hall to find out about the kingdom AND to be distinguishable from other "generic" churches. That burns me for some reason. They change stuff just to be different when there is no biblical basis for it.

sorry to go off on rant

• M.J.
    M.J.
    I also note that the Watchtower loves to use a watch tower as a symbol of its organization. They put it on their magazines and wear the watch tower symbol on their id tags at assemblies.

And, behold the pagan origins of the watchtower symbol (no, I don't really beleive that but it illustrates the silliness of their own argument against the cross):

The Canaanite altar:

The Idol, Artemis of Ephesus:

• kristyann
    kristyann

Don't some JW women wear little charms of watchtowers on chains around their necks? I have read this different places before but never seen anyone wearing one... I know it's slightly off topic, but it reminded me...

• knothead34
    knothead34

i've never seen any women wearing wt symbols around their necks. i've only been studying for a year though. But I don't think that's true

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

MJ...that is a picture of a "horned alter" as was used through Caanan and the Jewish Temple courtyard. It has obvious direct links to bull worship. Both Baal and Yhwh were called the 'Bull". So anyone sincerely seeking out "pagan" origins would have to recognize that the Jewish cult had very few original aspects, nearly every aspect of its temple and rite had precedents or parallels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit