Assemblies: Were You Always on the Prowl for a Mate?

by prophecor 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I would scope the place out. But I don't remember ever seeing anyone that I was interested in....

There was a guy in my cong who was desperate to get married. He got it into his head that his soul mate would be found at the DA that was coming up. So off he went wearing his heart on his sleeve. He sat next to a family with a pioneer daughter who actually said 'hello' to him and he decided she was the one. He noted from her lapel card where abouts she was from and decided to hunt her down.

Every Sunday he would drive for 3 hours scouring the different congregations in her area until he found her. Evenutally a few months later he did. Then he rushed up to her and told her his story of trying to find her and being in love etc.

Strangely enough she didn't see this behaviour as odd at all. (Personally I would feel it was like being stalked). They are now married.

• evita
    evita

misspeaches
    That story gives me the creeps and reminds me of the creepy mating behavior of JW's. In my cong. the young and single were not allowed to hang out together. We had no way of getting to know members of the opposite sex in any real way so our interactions were stiff and self-conscious.
    Yes, I remember "scoping" at the assemblies. It was so depressing. You had to be super cute, super spiritual, or come from an elders family to get any attention. One young brother bragged about how he could just have his pick of any sister.
    My social skills were so retarded when I left. It took me years to just be a normal person.
    Eva

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

"Flee from me Oh Harlot of Satan! Man, I can't wait till the convention this weekend where the girls actually keep their skirts 3 inches below their knees. This girl has no shame! Tsk.Tsk."

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Are you kidding me? This was pretty much the entire purpose of assemblies and conventions for me....

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Evita! How true! It was all just one big social popularity contest wasn't it?

The sisters with the elders fathers and ms got all the "spiritual" brothers tongues wagging. Then you had the sisters who you knew were kinda "worldy" and that was an adventure of its own.

Hey prophecor? What's with the new pic? Men. They can never make up their mind can they? Football or basketball? Camen or Pam? Nachos or Wings? Stop the Madness!!!!

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    I found a lot of wives and got in trouble, seems I should have been looking for single women.

Lol.....

Were assemblies for anything else? All we did was 'cruise'.......

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    There where these two guys (brothers?) who used to come to our assebmly. They where totally out in left field. They had these giant happy faces and talked like they had been drugged. They looked you straight in the eye, but it was like they where looking right through you, instead of at you. It was totally obvious they where looking for girls. I haven't seen them in a long time. I wonder what became of them...

Probably both circuit overseers now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit