Here it is: my da letter

by BlackSwan of Memphis 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I sent it out Nov 14. My bday. Thought that I would finally share it with you guys.

It's a pretty long story how it ended up at this point. In the end, that story is just not that important now.

As far as exposing the dubs goes...(another thread)...my idea is this:

If they can publish those tracts and brochures about how evil the Churches are, then we (I) can publish little tracts and brochures about how evil they are. Maybe it'll be tough to help people Out. But, if we can inform people that aren't yet in...that's one less person for them.

In the last weeks, I have had several inquiries as to where I stand and what I believe.

People want to know what happened, why I ended up where I am.

I said this to mom and I will say it again…

What happened is, I read the Bible.

Truthfully it started when I learned of their own problem with covering over child molesters.

At that time, I still believed I had the truth.

Rather then turn to what other people had to say about the Organization, I turned to the Bible and I prayed to God.

I asked Him to show me what was truth. And whatever it was and wherever it was, that is what I would follow.

I started reading the New Testament and looked at the context of key scriptures. In their natural context and compared to other scriptures, I quickly noticed differences between what the WTS was teaching and what the Bible teaches.

What kind of differences?

I don’t need to tell you all that when Russell first started his bible study group, he was a student of Adventsim and so borrowed the idea of Adventism.

Dates were set. Those dates came and went, and nothing happened.

2 things about this are seriously bothersome:

1) We are taught through the Bible, that we would not know when the end would come. (Matthew 24:23-28, 42, 25:13)

23 “Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned YOU. 26 Therefore, if people say to YOU, ‘Look! He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; ‘Look! He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it. 27 For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 28 Wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.

42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming.

“Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU know neither the day nor the hour.

And Matthew 24: 43,44

“But know one thing, that if the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

Why would a sincere student of the Bible, completely overlook the words of Jesus himself, when he says we would not know when?

This is in direct conflict with what the Bible teaches.

Russell prophesied that the end of this system of things would occur in 1914.

1914 came and went, what Russell said would happen, did not happen.

Repeatedly, Russell did claim, that these were not just man’s understandings, but that this was God’s Plan and that it was an established truth.

“…and that the complete establishment of the glorious Kingdom of God at the time appointed, the end of the Times of the Gentiles, is an unquestionable certainty; and showing , further, the work of the saints during the harvest’ marking the close of the “high calling,” and the “change” of those saints who “are alive and remain;” and showing, also, the Great Pyramid of Egypt is one of God’s Witnesses (Isa 19:19,20), whose wonderful message is a full and complete corroboration of God’s plan of the ages, together with its times and seasons.”

“In view of the strong bible evidence concerning the times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished by the end of 1914.” CT Russell The Time is at Hand

July 15, 1894 ZWT

"Seventeen years ago people said, concerning the time features presented in Millennial Dawn, They seem reasonable in many respects, but surely no such radical changes could occur between now and the close of 1914: if you had proved that they would come about in a century or two, it would seem much more probable. What changes have since occurred, and what velocity is gained daily? 'The old is quickly passing and the new is coming in.' Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. We see no reason for changing from our opinion expressed in the view presented in the WATCH TOWER of January 15, '92. We advise that it be read again."

What do the scriptures say about this? (Deuteronomy 18; Jeremiah 23)

“‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

“Therefore here I am against the prophets,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “the ones who are stealing away my words, each one from his companion.”

“Here I am against the prophets,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “the ones who are employing their tongue that they may utter forth, ‘An utterance!’”

“Here I am against the prophets of false dreams,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “who relate them and cause my people to wander about because of their falsehoods and because of their boasting.”

“But I myself did not send them or command them. So they will by no means benefit this people,” is the utterance of Jehovah.

2) Matthew 24 is incredibly important. Especially when you read verses 45-51.

The preceding verses which I quoted sets the context: Don’t look for My return, Jesus is telling his apostles.

That scripture teaches us that that slave which, while the Master is away, takes care of the domestics. He knows that his Master could show at any time, in fact in Luke the word unlikely is used.

He’s been given the signs, what to look for, to know that He is near. But he does not know when.

On the other hand, the slave that is wicked, notes that his Master is delaying and beats down his fellow slaves. So, that when the Master arrives, he finds what the slave is doing and he is punished, rather then rewarded for it.

How does the wicked slave come to think that his Master is delaying?

When a person is delaying, how do you know this?

There was an appointment, that they are late for.

But His Master, Never set an appointment. The Slave did.

What did CT Russell do?

What did Rutherford do?

They set dates.

1914 came and went, then they said it was 1918.

1918 came and went, then they said it was 1925.

1925 came and went, then they said Most likely, 1975 would see the end of this system.

A October 8, 1966 19-20

W May 1, 1968 271-2

King. Min. Mar 1968

This is only 3 out of the several articles that were published by the WTS, pinpointing 1975 and it was the WTS that kept encouraging the date.

There is so much that I could sit here and tell you.

In fact this is Not the first version of this letter that I have written.

Pages and pages and pages I have written.

With the intent of explaining what I believe and why I believe it.

But I think that what you really want to know, is not what I believe in terms of doctrines and creeds,

Rather, whether or not I accept the Governing Body as the FDS class.

Because, to accept the various, radical changes in their teachings…

Teachings that have forever changed the lives of millions of people….

One must first believe without a doubt, that the WTS is truly,

God’s Spirit Directed Organization.

So, the question is this:

How do we know that the FDS are who they say they are?

The WTS teaches that it was in 1919 that Jesus examined the Bible Students and gave them over all his belongings. (Matt 24)

What were they teaching in 1919?

1) Jesus returned invisibly in 1874.

2) The Cross appeared on the publications.

3) Blood Transfusions were acceptable.

4) Displaying the Flag was acceptable and encouraged.

5) The end would take place in 1925.

6) Holidays and birthdays were being celebrated.

7) Smoking was acceptable.

8) Jehovah’s place of residence was in the Pleiades.

9) Serving with the Red Cross was encourages.

10) CT Russell was considered to have filled the role of the Faithful and Wise Servant.

This is only the tip of what Jesus would have found, if he indeed inspected the Bible Students in 1919.

Do you notice anything fairly significant?

a) They were continuing to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Jesus taught them to do. They were predicting when the end was going to come.

b) They were involved in numerous ‘pagan’ activities.’

c) Last but not least, as much as the WTS tries to hide the fact, the Bible Students most certainly DID believe that CT Russell had filled the role of the Faithful and Wise servant.

Next, as a very wise woman said to me not that long ago:

By their fruits you will know them.

Let’s look at their “fruits”.

The WTS has gone back and forth on incredibly serious teachings.

For years, the WTS taught that both vaccinations and organ transplants are wrong.

For many people that were faced with these decisions,

The matter was simple:

Accept the WTS teaching or be disfellowhipped.

The WTS demanded obedience to their interpretations, or else.

Is that loving?

That changed quite suddenly.

Did these teachings originate with God?

If they did not originate with God, who were these people obeying?

God or Man?

Now, we come to the issue of blood transfusions.

Once again, the WTS has issued their edicts on blood transfusions.

Let’s look at the reasoning of the WTS :

You cannot accept a whole blood, blood transfusion.

But it is ok to use your conscience in deciding whether or not to accept blood in fractionated form.

It is wrong to donate blood.

But it is ok, to accept another person’s fractionated blood.

Accepting a Blood Transfusion, puts a person in line for Disfellowshipping.

While one person may conscientiously accept blood fractions, another would suffer the loss of their family and friends, and as far as they know the loss of good standing with Jehovah, for conscientiously accepting a whole blood transfusion.

Does this teaching in it’s entirety originate with God?

If it does not originate with God, where does it originate from?

Who are people obeying?

God or Man?

This next part, is incredibly important:

Jehovah’s Witnesses maintain the strictest neutrality among the nations.

They teach their loyal followers not to go to war, not to vote, not to get involved with politics in any way shape or form.

The WTS maintained an NGO relationship with the UN for 9 years.

The evidence of this comes from the UN themselves.

Let’s look at the words of the UN to see what this means, to be an NGO:

4 March 2004

To Whom It May Concern,

Recently the NGO Section has been receiving numerous inquiries regarding the association of the

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York with the Department of Public Information (DPI). This organization applied for association with DPI in 1991 and was granted association in 1992. By accepting association with DPI, the organization agreed to meet criteria for association, including support and respect of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities .

In October 2001, the Main Representative of the

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York to the United Nations, Giro Aulicino, requested termination of its association with DPI. Following this request, the DPI made a decision to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9 October 2001.

Please be informed that it is the policy of the Department of Public Information of the United Nations to keep correspondence between the United Nations and NGOs associated with DPI confidential. However, please see below the

paragraph included in all letters sent to NGOs approved for association in 1992:

“The principal purpose of association of non-governmental organizations with the United Nations Department of Public Information is the

redissemination of information in order to increase public understanding of the principles, activities and achievements of the United Nations and its Agencies. Consequently, it is important that you should keep us informed about your organization's information programme as it relates to the United Nations, including sending us issues of your relevant publications. We are enclosing a brochure on the “The United Nations and Non-Governmental Organizations”, which will give you some information regarding the NGO relationship.”

In addition,

the criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI include the following:

• that the NGO share the principles of the UN Charter;

• operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;

• have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and a proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

• have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media.

We expect that you will share this information with your concerned colleagues, as we are unable to address the scores of duplicate requests regarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that are being directed to our offices. Thank you for your interest in the work of the United Nations.

Sincerely,

Paul Hoeffel

Chief

NGO Section

Department of Public Information

Do you know how they were able to conduct “effective information programmes” about UN activities?

If you look through the bound volumes starting 91 (which was when they applied for membership) you’ll notice a change in tone regarding what the WTS had to say about the United Nations.

In fact, on the UN NGO site, they actually had listed some of the articles that the WTS submitted to show that they were doing as they had agreed to do.

What has the WTS taught for years regarding the UN?

Does or does not the Society teach neutrality?

When a countless number of people have died for refusing to be involved with politics in any way, how can this be justified?

They (the WTS) says it was for a library card.

If this is true, and it is only a matter of they wanted to use the library,

Then why not allow witnesses to use the YMCA just to use the pool?

This is only part of the evidence.

As I said, I had pages and pages written, that I am not going to use.

Because the thing is this:

You want to know if I am going back to the meetings.

No, I am not.

Mom, you mentioned something to the effect, that a person should study the Bible with the right intent.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

That is indeed how one should examine the contents of the Bible.

But does the same apply to the words of men?

Keep in mind, that the publications and the teachings of the WTS should be examined with the intent of making sure that they line up with Bible teaching.

Steven, you made the point to me the Beroeans were commended for examining the scriptures, rather then relying on the scrolls and writings of the educated class.

That was a great point.

In fact, the entire thing shows, that they were examining the scriptures to be sure that Paul’s teachings were originating with God.

Have you examined the teachings of the WTS to be sure that they originate with God? That they do not conflict with the teachings of the Bible?

Do you depend on the wisdom of God, rather then the wisdom of man?

When the WTS teaches something that is not in line with Bible teaching,

What do you do?

What will you do?

When the Bible teaches how to recognize a false prophet?

What will you do?

When the Bible teaches, that we will not know when Christ is coming,

And you know that the Organization that you fellowship with has repeatedly gone against the words of Christ himself,

What will you do?

When the Organization teaches things that will put your life, the lives of the people you love in danger,

What will you do?

Will you stand and up and say, “Hey, something is wrong here.”?

Will you stand up for truth?

Even at risk of being disfellowhipped?

I, for my part, cannot in good conscience continue my association with a religious organization that continues to put it’s members in harms way, and demands exclusive devotion, such that belongs to God himself.

They ask, that their flock set aside their consciences in favor of current ‘Truth’.

They tell you, that you cannot understand the Bible without the publications.

Yes you can.

It won’t be the same understanding as what they teach, but you can understand it.

Russell himself had made a very scary statement:

If the six volumes of 'Scripture Studies' are practically the Bible topically arranged, with Bible proof-texts given, we might

not improperly name the volumes - the Bible in an arranged form . That is to say, they are not merely comments on the Bible, but they are practically the Bible itself since there is no desire to build any doctrine or thought on any individual preference or on any individual wisdom, but to present the entire matter on the lines of the Word of God. We therefore think it safe to follow this kind of reading, this kind of instruction, this kind of Bible study. Furthermore, not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the 'Scripture Studies' aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years - if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the 'Scripture Studies' with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures." {ZWT Sep 15 1910 298}

I gave someone some advice just a few days ago, that I will give to you:

First, you read the Bible and understand it.

Then you examine the religion to make sure that it is line with Bible teachings.

If there is a contradiction, then you have your answer as to the religion.

Some weeks ago, I was writing one version of this letter, I was sorting through the countless notes that I had taken.

One thing that came to mind is this.

It’s an illustration.

As you read this please keep in mind everything you have read, and everything that you have experienced as a Jehovah’s Witness, that made you wonder if you were doing the right thing….

Remember when the WTC was attacked?

There was very little time for people to get out.

There were many people that worked there, that would know the exits.

There were many who did not.

The hallways were dark, it was smoky and people were terrified trying to get out.

Some made it out alive.

Many more did not.

What if you were in those buildings or at least a similar situation?

And someone said to you (as well as to several others)

“Hey, I know the way out…It’s this way.”

He led you down hallway after hallway,

Only to lead you to a dead end.

In the meantime, several people were either injured or could not make it out.

He says,

“Oops, I made a mistake….It’s this way.”

Because he keeps saying, he knows the way, you trust him.

More dark hallways, more injured people, more that could not make it out.

Another dead end.

“Oops, I made a mistake…..It’s this way.”

Over and over again this happens.

Along the way, you see blinking red exit signs above various doors.

For some reason, you keep following this guy, rather then just exit through those doors.

For how long would this go on?

After I looked at what the WTS teaches now and what it has taught, I asked myself the following question whenever someone used the term “The Truth” with me….

Which version?

Steven, I told you that I had read apostate literature.

I also told you that I had read this stuff AFTER I had come to my own conclusions.

You see, I started on this path the spring of 2004.

I did not read apostate anything until winter of 2004.

The only thing I relied on to make this decision, this decision that I could no longer rely on the WTS to guide me, was

The Bible and the WTS own words.

I spent countless days in Mom’s living room looking at her old books.

When I was at the meetings, I was in the backroom looking at the old books.

Because I did not want to be accused of being ‘poisoned’ by apostates.

I love you all so much.

For so long now, I have tried not to let things bother me too much.

I have spent so much of my time in fear of losing my family and friends.

At this point, after being questioned as to where I stand, I could no longer keep being evasive.

I know where this is going to end up.

I am sorry that it will hurt so many.

But I do not in any way take responsibility for the actions of the WTS when they teach you not to talk to me.

That is their teaching.

Not mine.

I have learned so much from this and other forums like this. Thank you guys for taking the time and effort for helping some of us out.

Meagan Davison (formerly of West Dearborn Heights Cong MI)

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Meagan,

What was your mother's reaction?

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

wow meagan, that was awesome. so easy to follow and to the point. I may cut and paste this to have for future reference. ((((((((((( you are brave and strong.)))))))))

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I, for my part, cannot in good conscience continue my association with a religious organization that continues to put it’s members in harms way, and demands exclusive devotion, such that belongs to God himself.

Your letter is excellent.

It is intelligent and brave all at once.

The illustration about being led astray in the WTC is by far one of the best I have ever read.

Your eloquence is admirable.

Congratulations for doing the right thing.

YC

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That was incredible. I don't know how anyone in your congregation could read such logical information and still believe it is the Truff.

I have a friend who is 17 and not baptised, but the mother has just said if she does not go to meetings she will kick her out of home. The girl knows the WTS is wrong but does not know how to explain it. If you don't mind I would love to give her your letter as it will help her explain her feelings.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Wow! You thought this through. Congratulations! I hope you have the great life you deserve.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

BlackSwanofMemphis, that letter is totally awesome! You da ma'am!!! Frannie

• joanne_
    joanne_

That was truly an excellent letter. So well written and concise. Good for you to see things so clearly. It really sounded like it was coming from your heart. All the best to you.

joanne

• Honesty
    Honesty

Awesome and courageous!!!

It is the best laid out refutation of the WTBT$'s claim of authority I have seen so far.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Excellent letter Black swan. keep your strength and always maintain your resolve. Also FYI your practically in my back yard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit