Why Does God Allow Evil?

by Frenchy 58 Replies latest jw friends

• puppylove
    puppylove

I think there is a difference between a "God" and a "creator". In my mind the word "god" brings with it a connotation of goodness, of benevolence, of caring. That's why I don't believe in "god" anymore. I believe in a creator. A being that put humans on earth.

I am not an apologist. I make no excuses for "God's", "Jehovah's" behavior. There are no words or actions that can rationalize in my mind a loving "God" who allows atrocities such as the above to happen.

I don't think there is a "god" overlooking the earth. If there was a creator who put us here, he/she/it has long since left.

Edited by - puppylove on 7 October 2000 18:32:30

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Path

sorry I don't want to take away from your thread frenchy. I'll go away now

Far from it, I consider your posts valuable contributions and I always welcome them. Please remain. I am trying very hard to make sense of the whole thing. I am trying to accept nothing at face value while at the same time try to refrain from criticizing for the sake of criticism. I’m looking and would appreciate any glint of light of truth regardless of its source. Thank you for your consideration.

AhHah
    My opinion as expressed here on this forum is not a borrowed cliché that I have accepted without testing its merits. I am very careful about formulating opinions on such weighty matters. That you may have heard someone else with a similar view does not surprise me for I hardly think that I am so original as to be unique in having such a view. But whether or not this view is held by others is totally irrelevant as far as its merits are concerned. For instance, I don’t agree with the Society on many things (such as in this case) but I do not dismiss an idea because it comes from them either.

My belief is that God never chooses to prevent humans from committing crimes and is therefore in no way responsible for individual crimes that are committed .
    If you believe the Bible then you will have to acknowledge that God has intervened directly many times on behalf of individuals (David, Elisha, Daniel, etc.) in order to prevent harm from befalling them. This discredits your statement. According to your statement, God, by virtue of his choosing to prevent certain, specific acts of violence would be responsible for allowing other individual acts of violence, those instances in which he chooses not to intervene. Anytime you have the power, authority and means to prevent something from happening or cause it to happen, you are responsible.
    One could argue that he allows ALL evil for some higher purpose. That, however, does not imply that God is making some individual judgment every time evil is committed.
    I don’t believe I ever said that each evil that befalls us is an individual judgment from God. But God, being omniscient, is aware of each, individual evil act. He hears people praying for deliverance each and every time they do it. Sometimes he responds, sometimes he doesn’t.
    The statement that you have chosen to ignore in your response is the statement you made that I find repulsive and revolting .
    I can hardly be accused of ignoring my own statement! I thought I was expounding on it in response to your taking issue with it but perhaps I have not been clear enough.
    It is quite another matter to say that God chooses not to prevent a horrible crime that is about to happen to someone because that person is in need of some personal development that will be served by this crime You say: ‘another matter’ and I ask you at this time, another matter from what? I never said that individual acts of evil were permitted in order to correct some specific deficiency in someone.
    If God is actually making a conscious decision for that purpose, then one might argue that God is indeed at least partly responsible for the crime, insofar as he allows this crime whereas He might choose to prevent another one about to happen to someone else.
    (I ask again) What is your explanation given that:
    1. He is able to prevent the act of evil
    2. He sometimes chooses to do so, BUT
    3. He does not always do so.
    What possible personal development would you have us believe that Seven and Waiting could have needed, so that a loving God might have decided that they needed to be raped to serve their necessary personal development?
    Believe what you will. Where did I say that God decided that they needed to be raped? Those are your words and not mine.
    What about little children that are abused or even murdered? What personal development might they be in need of? I find the very question absurd.
    It’s your question.
    …let's not use any misdirection to cloud the issue since this post is a response to one individual act of rape, not two simultaneous ones.
    The illustration I used was broader in scale that those individual acts that were mentioned. The illustration I presented illustrates A PRINCIPLE which I clearly defined later. That you missed the point completely is amply demonstrated in your perversion of the illustration:
    There is only the Son playing on the train tracks, unaware of the train coming…
    Can it be that you really don’t understand that the lives saved at the expense of the son is the thrust of the entire illustration? Let me state it more simply. The reason that the father could not save his son was because it would have been at the expense of many other lives. There was no simple, easy solution in this case. Any solution would have had a great cost.
    Would you have us believe that a loving God is any less responsible for his actions or inactions?
    I stated my opinion. What would you have us believe?
    The only way that I personally can reconcile God's inaction is what I stated above. He does not choose to miraculously intervene to prevent any human actions of any kind.
    I’ve already demonstrated that this is not so. He has intervened many times “to prevent…human actions”. But your statement still does not make sense because you have not given us the reason for God’s inaction. Why does God choose not to act? Even if your above statement were true it would still not answer the question of why he does not intervene. What is your answer to that?
    I cannot imagine burdening a rape victim, such as Waiting or Seven, with the notion that God allowed their rape for their own good.
    I would imagine it to be a greater burden to know that it all happened for nothing. But if you read my above words carefully you will note that I do not in any way intimate that that specific act was needed in their case or any other person’s case. [quote] And not only that, but let us exult while in tribulations, since we know that tribulation produces endurance; endurance, in turn, an approved condition; the approved condition, in turn, hope, and the hope does not lead to disappointment; because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy spirit, which was given us. -Ro 5: 3-5 NWT
    There are many things that fall under the category of ‘tribulation’. Rape, murder, and all forms of violence are included in that. God in his infinite wisdom has seen fit to allow us to experience these terrible things. They must serve a purpose, IMHO.
    [quote] I also want to repeat that I know your comments were well-intentioned. You seem to be a very loving person, with only the very best of motives. I like you and I like your posts. I believe that everyone on this forum likes you and appreciates your posts, especially Seven and Waiting. To their credit, they did not take your comments personally or take offense.
    Please don’t patronize. By your above statement you are inferring that my comments may have caused offense to Seven and Waiting. I know that they are both more than capable of speaking for themselves and have no need of an advocate. They know me well enough to make their own determinations as to my intents and my feelings about them. Stick to the argument at hand and leave the personal comments out if you please.
    [quote] I hope that my being so outspoken does not hurt your feelings. For me, it is a matter of conscience, because I care very much about persons who suffer unjustly at the hands of other people, as I know you do also.
    Hearing other people’s opinions in no way ever offends me but characterizations and personal insinuations do. Your conscience is your business and yours alone. We each have one to deal with ourselves. Your stating your concern about persons suffering ‘unjustly at the hands of other people’ in conjunction with your rebuttal to my post as well as your previous statement I commented on leads me to believe that you somehow see yourself as some sort of self-appointed righter of wrongs here. Am I mistaken in that appraisal?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear waiting

Now, the questions within the context of trying to fathom God's reasoning upon my child. Did she need to learn a life lesson on oral rape? Make her a wiser adult? Have more humility through pain? Or was she raped by my father because I brought her into his house? Was the lesson from God upon me - it did no good for I had no memories and no reason to suspect him. Nor did I realize the consequences of my innocent actions till decades later. Was I punished for being innocent? Was she punished for being innocent?

I don’t mean to suggest that the evils that befall us are object lessons or punishment. The evils exist for a purpose which is presently unknown. I am inclined to believe that the principle at Matt 5:29 comes into play here. Some loss is necessary for the ultimate salvation. I know that this sounds simplistic perhaps it’s because I’m so! There are many passages in the Bible that speak of our toil and tribulation in this life. God is aware of it. I have to think on the positive side since the alternative is not constructive.
    From Simon:

These emotional stories about trains and bridges are just read herrings - surely God should be able to make the bridge work properly in the first place / stop the train etc... or does it imply that there are limits to what he does?

When God granted free will to a portion of his creation he set limitations upon himself. For free will to exist and work, he must allow it to do so and that means that he must refrain from interfering in certain matters. There are indeed things which God cannot do. God cannot die. God cannot lie. God cannot be untrue unto himself. God cannot allow you free will and build a fence around all that is evil. You would then have no choice. This is about choices.

• AhHah
    AhHah

Frenchy,

I am sorry that you have taken offense at my rebuttal to your statement. It was not meant to be personal or insulting. I found your original statement offensive, but I do not find you offensive at all. I like you and I like your posts.

I believe that we probably do not have common ground upon which to continue this discussion since you are defending your statement with quotes from the Bible. I reject the Bible's contradictory descriptions of God for the same reason that I reject your premise that God might allow evil to certain individuals because they need some personal development. I find such a concept of God absolutely repulsive, and if God should ever ask me, I will tell him the same. This does not make me right and you wrong.

We are both attempting to salvage our concept of God when faced with the horrors of reality -- people that we care about get raped and murdered. Your impression of God may be right, in spite of how repulsive that I find it.

I hope that my being so outspoken does not hurt your feelings. For me, it is a matter of conscience, because I care very much about persons who suffer unjustly at the hands of other people, as I know you do also. -- Hearing other people’s opinions in no way ever offends me but characterizations and personal insinuations do. Your conscience is your business and yours alone. We each have one to deal with ourselves. Your stating your concern about persons suffering ‘unjustly at the hands of other people’ in conjunction with your rebuttal to my post as well as your previous statement I commented on leads me to believe that you somehow see yourself as some sort of self-appointed righter of wrongs here. Am I mistaken in that appraisal?

Yes, you are very mistaken in your appraisal of me and my reason for my post. I spoke up only because I felt that the potential that your comment had to add to the burdern of guilt that Seven and Waiting might already have, deserved a rebuttal so that they would hear a different opinion. That is how we demonstrate our care on this forum -- by speaking up.

Again, please accept my apologies for offending you by my rebuttal. That was not my intention.

P.S. Just in case there was any confusion, my comment about my concern for persons "suffering unjustly at the hands of other persons" was certainly NOT a reference to your post (was that your impression??). It was a reference to Seven and Waiting both being victims of rape.

Edited by - AhHah on 7 October 2000 19:56:4

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

AhHah
    It is not the rebuttal that I object to. I accept your apology and offer you mine for misunderstanding your motives.
    I was not aware of your view of the Bible and so now I understand your statement about God's non intervention in human affairs. I could not understand how you could make such a statement in light of Scripture. Knowing now how you feel about the Bible I understand your position better.
    I don't agree with you that we have no basis for coming together on this thing. I'm willing to listen regardless.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Gotta love the politics of human nature and technology eh?

I find all of these arguments interesting. And depending on what beliefs you hold and what you hold to be the foundation of those beliefs, each one seem to have some merit.

I find pupplylove's explaination interesting in that it is probably the simplest, most logical, and requires the least amount of semantics.

I don't think there is a "god" overlooking the earth. If there was a creator who put us here, he/she/it has long since left.

Unfortunately, its also the explaination that offers the least hope, is the most uncomfortable and the most disturbing.

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

To All
    I believe that I have failed in expressing my views clearly. I’m not asking for agreement with my opinions I would just like for everyone to know what they are so that they can disagree with them more clearly! I think the confusion is coming from my statement: “but as things needed for our personal development.” Personal development as humans as a whole. I do not mean to suggest that the bad things that happen to us are problem specific to us as individuals. No one is ever in need of violence to ‘correct’ some specific deficiency of his or hers. What about the babies as has been asked here? What lesson could they possibly learn from the violence inflicted upon them? It comes upon us nonetheless, unbidden and unwarranted. The unfairness of it all is overwhelming at times. I have to believe, however, that in the end it will have served a useful purpose. Perhaps not to the individual to whom the evil occurred but somewhere and somehow it will prove to be useful.
    If my opinion causes anyone any distress then I sincerely apologize for that. It’s my feeble attempt at understanding a very troublesome concept.

Edited by - Frenchy on 7 October 2000 20:20:29

• AhHah
    AhHah

Frenchy,

Thanks for quickly and kindly accepting my apology and offering yours. Your posts always demonstrate that you are a loving and caring person, and your response here is no exception.

I tend to get very passionate about matters that I care about deeply. I believe that sometimes causes me to come across differently than I intend. I try to remember that just because I have a passionate opinion, does not necessarliy mean that I am right. I used to feel very passionately that JW's taught only truth, and I would defend them at the doors with my last breath! Just listen to me now!??

You have defended your statement very well, and your opinion is just as valid as mine. Just because it does not ring true for me, does not make it wrong. I believe we all would wish for much clearer, and provable answers to age-old issues such as these.

Hopefully one thing stands out from this post above all others:

Seven and Waiting - we care about you!

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Amen

• waiting
    waiting

Hey guys,

Dear Frenchy

By your above statement you are inferring that my comments may have caused offense to Seven and Waiting. I know that they are both more than capable of speaking for themselves and have no need of an advocate. They know me well enough to make their own determinations as to my intents and my feelings about them.

Speaking for myself, and most likely Seven, we are capable of speaking for ourselves. As one man said to me, "I suppose this does you two some good some how." It does, and there are many others like us - some have never spoken about their all-encompassing black shame. It's a grand trick of the WTBTS, society at large, and rapists - keep the victim silent.

Remember the WTBTS teaching us that one of Satan's greatest tricks or achievements was that he was able to get people to believe that he did not exist. Thus, he was free to do whatever he wanted - Same principle.

As for knowing you well enough to understand your thought behind the post? Yes, I did. Perhaps I didn't explain myself sufficiently. I did not mean to infer that I took exception to you. I never have in any of your many posts. (I didn't understand your short story you posted once, however.) As you aptly pointed out, by your posts, we have come to know you and your intent, which have always been straight forward. Your life and your family's lives, I would assume, have also shaped your views of God and the happenings in the universe.

AhHah

I think I've drawn the same conclusions you have about God - just expressed differently. Very troublesome if thought of too deeply. Of course, God's probably not troubled by these things - just his creation.

Path

I agree with the concept of puppylove's thoughts. I expressed them differently - but then you always like the way someone else expresses the same thoughts as I do better than the way I express that same thought. If memory serves me, I'm about the same age as your mother......could there be a corrolation here?????

But I do think that's a concise picture of my impression of God's interest in us.

This indeed is the mystery of awareness. Human beings reek of that mystery; we reek of darkenss, of things which are inexplicable. To regard ourselves in any other terms is madness. So don't demean the mystery of man in you by feeling sorry for yorself or by trying to rationaize it. Demean the stupidity of man in you by understanding it. But don't apologize for either; both are needed. The Fire Within by Carlos Castaneda

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 8 October 2000 8:11:6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit