Stop following others!

by hibiscusfire 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

I don't think anyone is out to please anyone but themselves.

Even when, outwardly, they seem to be "people-pleasers", that is only because being so, perhaps in some screwed up way, pleases themselves. Somehow, they learned that pleasing others is the best (or only) way to get the things they want for themselves.

I aim to please only myself, and in that way at least, I am honest. I aim to please no man nor to please any god. Any moral compass I hold to arises from within rather than from without.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    We must not let other people's opinions of us control what we do.

Is this the same Hibicusfire that spent pages and pages of a thread attacking some of us for choosing to abreviate Christmas with the well accepted Xmas?

You kept telling us to listen to you, follow your opinion, that it was the right and only one that counted.

Now are you recanting that opinion and saying it is ok if we don't follow your lead? Geesh!

Jeff Edited to add: BTW many of my Christmas Cards went out saying Merry Xmas. I guess I passed the test - you did not control me in that!

• daystar
    daystar

Jeff

The tone of this "hibiscusfire" seems somehow different as well.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hibie, certainly one drink doesn't hurt. It provides a small pleasure and from what we know, likely prevents heart disease. Misuse of alcohol makes my point very well. Allowing ourselves a little pleasure is not evil. Only when alcohol is abused; when it's consumption becomes an all-consuming flame that it consumes the individual, does it become evil.

My argument stands. Pleasure of itself is not evil.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sometimes people think they know what is good for them and it is. The conequences of that may or may not be trouble, but they could still be right

I actually was referring to drugs and alcohol. Some people are destroying themselves this way. Isn't that pleasing themselves?

Well why didn't you say that in the first place, rather than demanding we "stop following others", as the thread title suggests?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Well why didn't you say that in the first place, rather than demanding we "stop following others", as the thread title suggests?

That would be too obvious, and might not generate 4 pages of responses.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit