Is this a valid point about Bible prophecies?

by apple78 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• apple78
    apple78

Ok, forgive me if this sounds silly but it came to me today. People keep talking about the earth and its disasters and the fulfilling of prophecies and end times. But is there a counter argument to these prophecies? Are they really right? as all i see on numerous Christian websites is that they are mostly proven and accurate to history.

So - is it a valid point that if people all those years ago liked the moral lessons in the Bible, they lived according to it, therefore bringing the prophecies true themselves as a result? For example, Israel is always talked about, people see it mentioned all the time in the Bible, then all generations put more emphasis on it than say if another, not so mentioned, nation was written in it. Has it all just been self fulfilling so really just a load of old bull?

The reason I write this is to make sure i remember it myself, i can be easily convinced of things and i feel being critical of everything is important. I mean its a very scary prospect for someone non religious like myself to read stuff like that. Its like mass hysteria everywhere and i used to be so sheltered to it. Ignorance is bliss I say.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

You need to remember that most people have their agenda, and they interpret the scriptures in the way they wish in order for it to fit into their view of things. The last place I would look for interpretation of prophecy is the internet. Instead, you may find yourself having to do a little more research on what you want answers to. I suggest reading some well balanced Bible commentaries. When you compare them you will be able to see how the verses in question have been historically interpreted, and then go from there. Personally I enjoy books that where written OVER 100+ ago. Whatever you do, don't get caught up in some "End of Days" scare that plays right into the hands of your emotions. Instead, do reasearch, take your time, and think about the subject matter.

Some of the books available from ChristianBooks.com are well priced and contain such information. You will allways be better off to reseach a book before you ever buy it. Make sure it is a balanced author and not some crazy (WBTS).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    For example, Israel is always talked about, people see it mentioned all the time in the Bible, then all generations put more emphasis on it than say if another, not so mentioned, nation was ;written in it. Has it all just been self fulfilling so really just a load of old bull?

Very good observation. While I don't believe in "prophecies" in the supernatural sense, I do believe that texts which are read, recited, taught, interpreted and reinterpreted over the centuries are bound to have historical consequences for the better and the worse. The tragic history of Judaism, Christian antisemitism, Zionism, Shoah, creation of the Israeli state and the present Near/Middle-East situation are not reducible to the Bible but have their deepest roots in it. That doesn't imply any real "prophecy," but the popular concept of prophecy really complicates (and sometime creates) the issues.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake." -- James Joyce, Ulysses (in a passage about antisemitism).

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    People keep talking about the earth and its disasters and the fulfilling of prophecies and end times. But is there a counter argument to these prophecies?

If a person wants to show that disease is becoming rampant, he can turn to the paper and talk about bird flu or AIDS. If he wants to show natural disasters are on the rise, he can point to tsunami's and the bad hurricane season. There are plenty of wars on the news, so you've got the war angle too.

But truth is, disease is declining. Cures are being found, research continues. AIDS can be controlled and contained. Natural disasters weren't a part of Jesus' sign list anyway, but even if they were there's no indication that they are "on the rise", but instead these things rise and fall. More hurricanes, then less, then more. The cycles are long enough that individuals don't remember them, but history does.

And of course, there have always been wars. I heard recently that there are fewer wars going on now than at any time in the past 200 years. Is that true? I don't know, but given the efforts of large nations to quell war instead of waging it, it's plausible.

The doomsdayers just don't have a leg to stand on to claim we're in "the last days".

Dave

• greendawn
    greendawn

The way that the JWs interpret the prophecies, or composite sign as they call it, of the end of times (we have now the worst ever troubles on earth as prophecied, the end must be near)is completely wrong, worse things had happened in previous centuries in terms of pestilence, famines and wars. And not surprisingly the end didn't come as they had predicted.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

IMO, we as human beings are all impressionable by our very nature. We all probably live in some sort of matrix, but that should IMO be even more of an incentive to, at least, try to be aware of this, and to learn the art of critical thought. Because of their personal JW experiences, people on this forum IMHO are making a daily effort to refine this art, each in his/her own way.

You might want to have a look at the Amazon info on: "Sign of the Last Days When," by Carl O. Jonsson.

Although already about twenty years old (considering the subject matter, its age might actually be an endorsement), it is written from the perspective of a former Jehovah's Witness and their teachings. They are already world champion in failing eschatology anyway, but he does manage to further defuse their particular brand of scare mongering. Understanding failing JW eschatology would serve to illustrate your problem. Interestingly, critical thinking was always discouraged by The Watchtower-JW.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0914675095/qid=1136324225/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9310039-4131245?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Theo

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Love the pic Van Gogh

Very "Bad Boy Biker Dude."

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Thanx stillawitness. I like you too.

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

There were definately prophecies that didn't come about. Everyone already explained about disasters, wars, plagues and so on. As for other prophecies, it's easy to make a prophecy after something happens.

• apple78
    apple78

thank you all - i will try to get hold of those books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit