Service Meeting Week Starting January 2, 2006

by TheListener 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Scully
    Scully
    I wonder if the Society got kick backs for having certain hotels on the "approved" list?

*nods*

It used to be kind of like chartering a group tour.... if you get enough people to sign up for that trip, two people (usually the person organizing the charter and their spouse) got to tag along for free. Same idea with the hotel reservations for the conventions: You get a guaranteed rate for a certain block of rooms, and depending on how many people go there, someone might possibly get a freebie.... usually an organizer or someone higher up in the food chain.

That's why the Convention Organizers would get so annoyed with people who didn't fall in line with the rest of the Sheeple™.

• sandy
    sandy

Here in So Cal my former congregation only had about a 30 to 40 minute drive to the convention site. But there were always thos "cool crowds" who had to book hotel rooms. God forbid them having to drive each day with the rest of the common folk.

I always thought it was kind of selfish of them taking away rooms from others who had to drive a hell of a lot further to the conventions.

One guy used to call during the meetings, immediately after they read the announcement.

I can't believe I used to be friends with that pompous a-hole.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Great, another convention. When is it? This means my elder-employee will be calling in sick for those days so he can go!

• blondie
    blondie

Why doesn't he just take vacation? Is it hard to get off? I have never done that when I was a JW, called in sick and gone to the convention. Hasn't he been called on it? It would take much to catch him, you know where he is going and when. Hmmmmmmmmm?

Blondie

• jessthebull
    jessthebull

This whole idea of booking hotels from an aproved list is news to me, this is one idea that never made its way down here. If you had to travel to the convention city then some from the cong got together and booked at the same place, but im not aware of any group bookings or approved lists. Crazy!!

• Dune
    Dune

I think they have to at least make deals with the Hotels to get cheaper prices. Like, i know that the regular hotel prices are sometimes twice as much as that of the discounted price. Its a pretty good deal when you think about it. There are usually at least 4 conventions at each place so your hotel is bound to be full at every weekend for these four weeks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit