Service Meeting Week Starting January 2, 2006

by TheListener 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheListener
    TheListener

Song 5

Note: Congregations are not to move their Service Meeting for the week of January 2 to an earlier night unless the circuit overseer is visiting. In every congregation, the convention insert should be considered on the Service Meeting as scheduled. If there is a circuit assembly this week, book study overseers should announce the convention location and dates at their regularly scheduled book studies. A copy of the Recommended Lodging List should be made available by the Congregation Book Study overseer so that those in attendance can write down the hotel phone numbers for making their reservations. However, copies of the list should not be made for publishers.

5 min: Local announcements.

15 min: "Make Wise Use of Our Bible-Based Literature." * Include comments on the September 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry, page 1.

25 min: "2006 'Deliverance at Hand' District Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses." * To be handled by the congregation secretary. After considering paragraph 1, read the December 15, 2005 convention assignment letter. Encourage all to make their convention arrangements as soon as possible.

Song 48 and concluding prayer.

* Limit introductory comments to less than a minute, and follow with a question-and-answer discussion.

• cyberdyne systems 101
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    However, copies of the list should not be made for publishers.

Why is this? I never understood that. Instead of everybody getting a copy (at a congregation cost of maybe $15) people grab a minute at the board, flip through the thing, jot down a coupla hotels, then roll the dice. If they're full, they try again. A copy would solve that crap.

Why no copy?

(I also wonder how many are simply taking a digital picture of the list, especially with cell phone cameras readily available now)

Dave

• TheListener
    TheListener

Yes, indeed the all important Recommended Lodging list.

75% of the congregation huddled around the list while it's tacked to the information board frantically writing down the phone numbers of the best hotels. If you're going to the same place as usual you're just making sure it's still on the list. If you're attending a new city you have to sort of guess based on proximity and hotel name.

The dubs in my area are all a'twitter about the convention announcement. Oooooh where will it be? When will it be? What hotel are you staying at? What restaurants will you eat at?

Oh yes the social event of the season. (day 1)Wake up early, sleep, eat dinner out, sleep; (day 2)wake up early, sleep, eat dinner out, sleep; (day 3)wake up early, sleep, eat dinner out, go home to sleep.

• blondie
    blondie
    Congregations are not to move their Service Meeting for the week of January 2 to an earlier night unless the circuit overseer is visiting. In every congregation, the convention insert should be considered on the Service Meeting as scheduled

So if you go to a congregation with a Tuesday night SM you have a 2-day advantage over the congregations meeting on Thursday as to booking hotels. I would think that my Thursday night copies could be made. We just attended another congregation on Tuesday night. I wonder if the book studies were sparse those nights? the list. (I knew of the elders with the list that called and made reservations before the rank and file ever saw the list.)

If we were still attending we would have made our reservation months before at the best hotel that we could afford.

Blondie

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

[quote]I knew of the elders with the list that called and made reservations before the rank and file ever saw the list [\quote] This why every year the KM says the SM shouldn't be moved forward.

• blondie
    blondie

Yah, Johnny, that's why I pulled that info into the quote box and made those comments. That doesn't stop the elders from calling ahead early though.

• kls
    kls

Oh the memories

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

And just to think - I have to make reservations and spend money on this crap convention because I'm still in.... At least I don't have to worry about getting there at 7am to run around the parking lot looking like a bafoon taking orders from a plumber/parking attendant extrordinaire.

• joelbear
    joelbear

lol, kls, i was thinking the same thing. will it be Jacksonville or Macon this year. both exciting destinations for sure.

i preferred jacksonville

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit