Are JWs the Ultimate Modern Suicide Cult?

by Gill 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Powerful, sobering quotes, Scully!!!

Good thread, Gill

~Merry

• skyman
    skyman

I asked my brother and the brothers on my committee meeting if the governing body told you that this was the last test: go home and kill your wife and your childeren, knowing that this was the last test would you do it. I was told yes they would by everyone of them. I was told that if the Society told me that my left hand was my right from that time on it was.

• skyman
    skyman

I asked my brother and the brothers on my committee meeting if the governing body told you that this was the last test: go home and kill your wife and your childeren, knowing that this was the last test would you do it. I was told yes they would by everyone of them. I was told that if the Society told me that my left hand was my right from that time on it was.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>go home and kill your wife and your childeren, knowing that this was the last test would you do it. I was told yes they would by everyone of them.

:(

What can you say to something like that? Your brain must've been shrieking in pain!

Dave

• Gill
    Gill

What AA, Scully and Skyman have been discussing has made me think more about this topic. In a way the 'unlived life' is the ultimate sacrifice that many JWs get to make. Along with it goes the surrendering of free will in very important issues.

However, one issue really is a form of suicide, in that it is the suicide of their genetic futures.

There is the decision 'to forsake having children in this system of things in order to furthur the Good News (sell more mags)'. How many have lost out on having children and thought they were doing a wonderful thing. Considering that there is no Armageddon coming and no New System of things and one day this will 'click' with a lot of JWs, they really have made the ultimate sacrifice.

I feel sad for all the relatives and 'friends' who we knew so well, that CHOSE not to have children because they were expecting the earth to be like the siege of Jerusalem, where mothers ate their children. Where they expected tortures so terrible that they chose to kill their genetic future rather than endure something.....something that was never going to happen.

That is a form of suicide....in my opinion. They were 'frightened' into it. They were frightened to death.

• zagor
    zagor
    There is the decision 'to forsake having children in this system of things in order to furthur the Good News (sell more mags)'. How many have lost out on having children and thought they were doing a wonderful thing. Considering that there is no Armageddon coming and no New System of things and one day this will 'click' with a lot of JWs, they really have made the ultimate sacrifice.

How true. I know some couples that did just that. When my sis gave birth some of them visited her and I can tell you this, you could almost read depth of sorrow on their faces covered with fake jw smiley facade. As soon as they sit aside and out of the spotlight you can see all the anguish and sadness resurfacing.

• Gill
    Gill

I think that we can all appreciate the desperate sadness that many people feel who have never been physically able to have children and the lengths and expense they go to, trying to have children later.

However, imagine having made that choice yourself. Fooled once for falling into the WTBTs trap. Fooled twice by giving up your biological instincts and rights. And for what? An impossible fantasy.

Maybe some may have said like those who spoke to skyman, that they would have murdered their wives and children if the bOrg told them to, but others have murdered the very right of those children to exist in the first place.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Recognizing the stunted growth emotionally/mentally/socially/financially etc., from being in the organization, it becomes obvious from a psychological perspective that we might be able to apply the term 'ultimate suicide cult' to the society. As has been said - if we were all to go and poll the 'friends' as to how far they would follow orders given by the WT, and if the poll resulted in say 50% of those members saying they would follow the orders and in fact an actual 30% did follow them - then what a great tragedy for physical death offers no further opportunity to escape the clutches of the cult and accept/realize and enjoy the beauty of the world and life around them. Dead is dead physically - and thus is hope destroyed for that person. sw

• Gill
    Gill

Zagor - That's a very sad thing to have seen. It's something that I remember discussing with former JW friends, since we have five children. Many admitted that it was a decision (not to have children) that they regularly reviewed but sadly, they all reached and age where they were getting to the point of NO RETURN!

Sammielee - Even if they don't physically commit suicide, they all reach the point of sickness, old age and death and then ...all opportunities are lost for that person forever. It's a very sad thing to see.

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

Suicide cult? A bit over the top don't you think.

Suicide cults WANT to die--JWs don't. There's a big difference.

Of course you could make a case that they have a bit of a martyr-complex, but in this they are certainly not alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit