What is a Good Human Being?

by anewme 19 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

May I quote the holy writ? This is from Tetra 1:1 (since, as far as I know, that's all there is)

Live like a god.

Treat other men like gods.

Die like a god.

Dave

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

LOL!!

davegod, i am not a picky tetragod, but your quote goes to show that even atheists lose something in the translation and handing down of the holy writ. ha ha ha!! :) i believe it was: "live like a god. respect the trillions of other gods around you. die like a god."

he he he....... surprised anyone remembered that.

anewme,

you know me. i don't really believe in "good". that said, i don't believe in "evil" either. that, and as far as acceptable behavour for an afterlife is concerned, i really can't get past the fairly obvious fact (to me anyways) that we have zero guidance as to what is "good" for the hereafter. i would like to think that if all other holybooks and holymen fail, at least we can look to nature for guidance. but alas, even nature is cold and cruel. even my dog seems "good". but i know that if he were hungry enough, he would try to tear the neck out of almost any other animal, including me. and for my part, i own him as i would own a slave. he does what i want, when i want. so i am not really being good to him either.

the golden rule? hmmm, never been much of a fan, frankly. as far as i can tell, "good" people suffer without reward, while "bad" people get away with murder and no punishment, ever. ever. it would be nice if the golden rule worked, but even if everyone in the entire world lived by it, there would still be "suffering". probably because it is impossible to live by it. you can try to respect the trillions of other gods around you, but "try" is as good as it's going to get. which i suppose is alright. but if you do it, do it for yourself, and not anyone or anything else, including an afterlife.

TS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think you're spouting twaddle again, Tetra.

You really don't think that (for example) being excellent to each other is being a good human being?

Surely "trying" - the very attempt - is what is good? Intentions over substance?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I might add, was there ever anybody who impressed you as being a good example of a wonderful human being?

i really don't go in for the whole, mom, dad, ghandi and jesus "wonderfuls". ernest hemingway. marquis de sade. tom waits. and of course, Me. TS

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I think you're spouting twaddle again, Tetra.

heh, if you say so my "good" man.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What have ya got against Oscar Wilde and the Beastie Boys?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    even atheists lose something in the translation and handing down of the holy writ.

One verse in the whole damn book, and I can't get it right... so sad... I'm a backslider.

Or perhaps I was reading from the New World Translation of the Holy Tetriptures?

Dave

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

First: If it harm none, do what you will. That includes harming self. Secondly, I don't want to be "thought" of as good, I want to be good. There is a big difference. One relies on others to make a judgement, the other relies on myself to acknowledge that I have acted on my intentions. If I am grounded, centered, spiritual, and I use my means (whatever they may be) to help others, including animals and the environment in a way that will leave this earth a better place, then I don't need someone else's confirmation to tell me I'm successful at being good. Being good is a state of being, not a prize.

Sherry

• Carmel
    Carmel

This may or may not be what you are looking for....

Carmel

We must strive with energies of heart, soul and mind to develop and manifest the perfections and virtues latent within the realities of the phenomenal world, for the human reality may be compared to a seed. If we sow the seed, a mighty tree appears from it. The virtues of the seed are revealed in the tree; it puts forth branches, leaves, blossoms, and produces fruits. All these virtues were hidden and potential in the seed. Through the blessing and bounty of cultivation these virtues became apparent. Similarly the merciful God our creator has deposited within human realities certain virtues latent and potential. Through education and culture, these virtues deposited by the loving God will become apparent in the human reality even as the unfoldment of the tree from within the germinating seed.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 267)

• chrissy
    chrissy

i am curious about the "Baha'i World Faith" religion.

can you recommend a good source to read about the fundamentals?

did it originate in iran? is it a branch of islam?

thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit