Did you eat your black-eyed peas?

by horrible life 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Horrible my friend,

Yes, we did have our black eyed peas with smoked ham hocks, over rice & Northern cornbread.

Good stuff ! For you foreigners who never had the pleasure -- please just try 'em.

Are ya' feeling lucky ? We are.

The Rabbits (of the just loves to use the word 'luck' again - class)

• oldflame
    oldflame

I tried them once when I lived in Texass, I thought they were the most nasty tasting thing I ever put in my mouth.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

blackeyed peas?....I was told to have pork and kraut for good luck for the rest of the year..

I am going to try this though.

Texas Caviar

2 cans (14-16 oz.) black-eyed peas
    1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
    cracked or freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup each red and green bell peppers -- chopped
    2 jalapeno -- chopped
    3 green onion -- chopped

Drain the liquid from the peas. Place peas in a pan or bowl. Add remaining
    ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in a jar in refrigerator up to a
    week. Serve as a dip for tortilla chips

I'm also going to try gentlyferal's ritual. Thanks for that site. Looks really interesting.

lisa

• carla
    carla

What do they taste like? I think they taste like dirt, real actual soil. Just how dirt smells is how they taste. No offense to the black eyed pea lovers. I remember gagging at the table and my dad saying, 'quit doing that'. Like I had control over this? Luckily, mom never made them again.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yes, I remember my Mom and my Aunt cooking up a pot of blackeyed peas and sevring them with cornbread.....yummmyyyyyyy......but since I moved up north, I have lost the tradition.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

My BF says you have to sleep with a black eyed pea for good luck !!! And I know which one he wants!

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I hope you all knew to WEAR YELLOW UNDERWEAR on new Year's Eve. It's supposed to bring good luck and good fortune all year. I bought a pair just for the occasion, and hubby wore his bright yellow boxers, too.

I didn't know about the black eyed peas. I'll add that one next year. They taste like pinto beans, don't they?

• DaCheech
  • DaCheech
    DaCheech

WE had to eat lentil soup for good luck

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

It's very possible if the black-eyed peas you ate -- tasted bad -- they weren't cooked right at all.

The ones I made is my own variation, if i can find the time I'll post it.

They really are good. They taste a little like most dried peas, which all have a little different flavor...well, ok, chicken. They taste like chicken!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit