Did you eat your black-eyed peas?

by horrible life 27 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

My husband of almost 20 years, says you have to eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day. It is for good luck for the rest of the year. And sure enough, the stores always have massive displays of canned black-eyed peas.

Do you have any rituals that you do on New Years? HL

• Quentin
    Quentin

Boiled up some black eyes with a nice big juicy hambone...made corn bread and had a feast...we do this every year on New Years Day...never has brought good luck, but we enjoy a good ol down home meal...I'd have collard greens too, but the wife doesn't like them...

• horrible life
    horrible life

Yes Q, you are a Texas Boy!!! I'm 10 miles from the Texas boarder. But I have never seen the need to eat Collard greens either. HL How do you feel about your Longhorns?

• Ticker
    Ticker

I thought this was a thread about the Black Eyed Peas music group. LOL. I've never tried black eyed peas.

Ticker

• oldflame
    oldflame

I'm not sure but dog poo might taste better than those peas........YUKKY

• Quentin
    Quentin
    How do you feel about your Longhorns?

Not much into football HL...besides being a Ft. Worth boy I'd be more prone to lean toward the Frogs.

Dog poo? Spoken like a true west coaster, how bout them black beans?

• Es
    Es

Pardon my ignorance but i have never heard of black eyed peas other than the music group.

What do they taste like? What do they look like?

es

• horrible life
    horrible life

I really like them. They are about the size of your little fingernail, (pink part) maybe a little bigger. They are light tan in color. I always buy them in a can, but you can buy them dry, and cook them yourself. Even my picky daughter likes them. HL OH and hi ES!!!!! Long time no talk. And it will be even longer, my daughter is shadowing me wanting to use the computer to talk to her boyfriend. Tell me if you want me to send you some peas, if it is legal. HL

• Quentin
    Quentin

If memory serves they were brought over from West Africa, could be wrong not sure about that. They are sometimes called field peas. When shelled the pea itself has a black eye in the center, thus the name. As to taste, hard to say. You'd have to eat a big bowl to find out.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

No, I didn't do the black-eyed peas this year; I certainly will next year. Somehow I kind of allowed the New Year to creep up on us unawares, but we did have our Lucky Borscht, with cabbage cut into rectangles like dollar bills. It's really delicious, too. Last year we also had spinach salad with golden raisins (folding money and gold nuggets), teriyaki salmon fillets with the silvery skin still on, and egg rolls (gold bars).

And on the latest new moon, 12/30/05, I started this spell.

Now, my right palm has been itching all evening. I've been told that means money is coming in.

Do you detect a theme here?

$$ΒΆΒΆ$$ gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit