You cannot live forever in paradise on earth

by Gopher 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for the responses so far.

Clam: I already saw the ‘glazed looks on faces’ at the Kingdom Hall, as people tried to stay awake during the Watchtower study! You are correct in pointing out that proposed panaceas can have their sinister side.

Fullofdoubtnow: Your comment about JW’s imagining themselves living in the nicest homes of those who they believe will soon die at God’s Armageddon is true. One of the main evils according to JW doctrine is materialism. However this hope of having all the things in the world to themselves once non-JW’s are destroyed at Armageddon is materialism taken to an extreme.

Dansk: Thanks for your comments about life and suffering. The Watchtower lures people with its promise that life will be easy and peachy-keen for its adherents, if only they work and suffer now. I often heard from the platform (at the Kingdom Hall) that life now is ‘not normal’, and everything will be back in balance after some future Armageddon. They preach suffering for the “Kingdom”, and they add to people’s suffering with all their demands to do more and their constant judgement and scrutiny of their membership.

Geevee: Your MIL’s comments are ones we probably would have made as JW’s. It reflects their view that ‘living’ begins only in the new system. I want to live life right now. This is the life we have; it’s the one we’re sure we get.

Bonnie_Clyde: I think the phrase used in JW weddings was ‘… as long as we live together on earth under God’s marital arrangement’. That phrase leaves open a lot of possibilities, including the termination of the marital arrangement, or even the possibility of living together on some other planet (if you think about it).

Van Gogh: Your comment ‘death is innate to nature’ reminds me of the words attributed to Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes: “There is no difference between man and beast. As one dies, so does the other.” And, “after a man dies, all memory of him fades away” (or words to that effect). Life is temporary, and anything beyond that is unknown. Living strictly for what is unknown robs one of accomplishment during the present life. As far as Luke 23:43 (“today I say you will be with me in paradise”), all I can say is that again, no mention is made that the paradise is earthly. The WT inserts their idea that it MUST be earthly because that is their teaching, and the Jews didn’t have a concept of heaven. But Jesus was being quoted here, and his concept of paradise could have been very different than the idea held by the average Jew of his day.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Maybe God will go on 'Extreme Makeover: Earth Edition' to remodel the planet. He can expand it so that there is more room for every creation to roam and continue to procreate.

Can you imagine living forever with nothing but adults? That would suck. No kids playing. No more beatings in the back of the Hall.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

One of the things that always bothered me when considering the thought of eternal life on Earth was the fact that the Sun has a finite amount of hydrogen and helium to maintain it thermonuclear fusion. What will God do when our Sun begins to use up it's fuel? How will he prevent our star from engulfing the Earth when it swells becoming a red giant?

• ferret
    ferret

Bonnie-Clyde

I remember that at my first marriage way back in 1959, it was worded a little differnt but

meant the same thing.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Actually by the first century there was a highly developed Jewish concept of a heavenly paradise. It was felt that the Eden in Genesis was a small reflection of the greater Eden or Paradise in heaven. There were various chambers in this paradise, the number depending upon the time and sect. In fact in intertestamnetal literature a number of patriachs were depicted as having receievd it as reward or given tours. When Luke 23 was written there was no doubt the author meant a heavenly resting place of souls. They also had a highly developed concept of Gehenna as underworld of spirits in punishment by this time. The WT is boldly lying.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i think there is a scripture that says that when the earth is full all big hairy guys would be changed into homosexuals.

now that would be paradise.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Very interesting Gohpher. I have been battling with this question all week. (You can read my recent thread on JWD was able to Convince me that the Paradise was a myth but...)

I remember AULDSOUL saying that Adam and Eve living forever was not the original plan. Could this be true?

If so, then I really got a lot of new stuff to learn.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

GREAT POST!

I am ashamed to say that as I was coming out of my WTS fog, I had trouble believing that the Paradise Earth wasn't going to happen....ever. I accepted that all their lies, prohecies, doctrines and edicts were products of men's minds....but it did take me a few years to realize that the concept of that born-again Eden was also yet another erroneous teaching.

Recently it was brought out here how all the technical aspects OF this transition into this dreamed up (and drummed up) idea simply could NOT be realisitc despite THE most Divine interception possible!

Sometimes we have a LOT of cobwebs placed by the WTS that still cloud our thinking, at least it was that way for me. As was brought out....we weren't "supposed to" speculate on "how it would be" because of ALL the ridiculous expectations that would HAVE to be met to support that idyllic idea! If I hadn't already dismissed the Paradise Earth as fantasy....that last discussion would have nailed it down for me!

It's great to have dreams, and hope for a better world, but I'm wise enough to know that this old, feisty, Irish female......will NOT be turning into a fairy Princess as a "reward" due to any "favorable behavior" on MY part! The pie-in-the-sky will have to be found on a high shelf at the Bakery in town!

hugs,

Annie

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin
    God will transport the excess residents of paradise to a new earthlike planet elsewhere in the universe.

Maybe by reading the Awake mag. we can become smart enough to build spaceships!

HCM

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Maybe by reading the Awake mag. we can become smart enough to build spaceships!

What a HORRIBLE thought!!!! The idea that the future JWs will even think about becoming budding rocket scientists by reading an AWAKE UP! magazine!

Hahahahaha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit