Did any of you head off to University after leaving the org

by yaddayadda 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• JH
    JH

The JW Org, messed up many aspects of my life

• crabbyGabby
    crabbyGabby

I got an AS degree while still in the org, primarily because I didn't have to commute far to do it. I had the support of non-JW extended family to continue on, but at the time, I didn't take them up on it. While sometimes I think I should have continued immediately, I also think that I would not be the person today if I had done so (and I may not have met my husband, either).

So, after a 10-year "hiatus", I started working on a BS. I'm one semester away from completing a BS in Computer Information Systems. Now, if I could only "psyche" myself up for reentering the full-time job market after three years...

(What I figure has hurt me the most about being in the org is not having a positive sense about the future or of myself. I still struggle with both today.)

• joelbear
    joelbear

i started school about 6 months after I left home. my parents were firmly against college. i got my 2 year degree in 1984 and had a satisfying career in banking. i went back and graduated with my bachelors in 2004 and am now in market research, but i really want to be a ceramics artist.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I just completed my first semester on the way to an engineering degree. I love it! I've carried the college chip on my shoulder ever since I graduated from high school. If you want a degree, get your but back into school, it's never too late. It would be a shame to lay on your death bed, and wish you'd gone back to school.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I went to college while I was still in and told the busybodies to mind their own business. I finished my A.A. while in and finished my B.S. while I faded. Of course, College really had nothing to do with why I faded, it just provided the opportunity to fade.
    Forscher

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Hey, awesome comments. Thanks a bunch everyone. You've totally inspired me. I'm definitely gonna do it.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I started College the week I left my wife and stopped attending meetings.

I'd planned it for 4 months. I'd almost left my wife and the Borg a year previously, but at that time hadn't considered going to College.

I studied a year-long course designed to get me up to the level where I could study Science at University. In England you normally have to have 'A' levels to go to University, and they're normally in the two years after your 16th year. I'd never got them.

I studied my arse off and much to my surprise (I really wasn't academic at school) found it was easy, and got really good marks

I then started at Exeter University studying a BSc(Hons) in Physics and Science Education, a four-year long degree qualifying you to teach Science 11-17. I did this for 3 years, moving from the Physics strean to a General Science one as I discovered I loved Biology, getting results of 2.1 (in England it is 3rd, Lower second (2.2), Upper second (2.1) and First, the last being best) most of the time.

I then ran out of money. I left University, and ended up completing my degree via the Open University (distance learning). At Uni' I had also discovered I loved writing and literature, ending up the Editor of the University Newspaper. Having had to take stock with my financial problems, I really thought I'd rather study English Litetature, and the way you make up a whole degree through OU allows you to do this. I now have a BA(Hons), I suppose it's best described as a major in English Literature and a minor in Science and Science Education.

The past few years I've been supporting my fiance as she studied; once we get financialy stable again (she's gone from earning a third of what I earn part-time whilst studying to earning more than me, how cool is that?) I'd LOVE to go back to Uni' for a year and take a teaching certficate, and teach English to 11-17 year-olds.

I've done well in my job (I am a Manager in an International Call Centre providing high-level tech support to consumer and business electronic manufacturers, I liase with the clients), but unless I'm busy it bores me, and I am rarely THAT busy (as my posting bears out).

Getting an Education was one of the best things I have ever done. Do it, You owe it to yourself. For me, it was like learning to think for the first time.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

DO IT! You'll be so glad you did. There are always a few 40+ year olds in every class. Plus all the younger students are fine with that. I remember at my university, going out to bars and clubs with like 5 21 year olds, and one 45 year old lady. She was awesome and drank with the best of us! We treated her like a peer, she was really cool. So you can be that cool student. Don't be intimidated. Don't even doubt yourself, just do it. It brings so much more richness to your life, you will be able to more comfortably talk to more people, etc, etc. Just do it.

• zagor
    zagor
    There are always a few 40+ year olds in every class.

Believe it or not, I've seen a lady in her late 60's also completing her BA this year. It's never late.

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

I earned a Bachelor's degree in Christian Counseling from a seminary.

I'm now working on a master's degree in religion.

It's great to finally understand the Bible the way it was written.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit